Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default 3-way switches to ceiling fan and light?

"Jay-T" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how to (or if I can) wire a ceiling fan and
light so that the fan and light are controlled separately -- and both are
controlled from two different sets of switches at two different
locations. The room has two doorways and I would like to be able to
control the ceiling fan and light individually from a set of switches
located near each of the doorways. This would be similar to having a
ceiling light controlled by two 3-way switches, with one at each doorway,
except that in this case I would like the switch sets to be able to
control the ceiling fan and ceiling fan light separately from either
doorway.

Here is the existing wiring configuration:

The power/feed goes to the first switch setup at doorway "1" with 12/2
wire; then 12/3 wire goes from there to the switch setup at doorway "2";
then 12/3 wire goes from there up to a ceiling light. In other words,
the room is presently wired as a typical 3-way switch setup to a ceiling
light, but the wiring going up to the existing ceiling light was
prewired with 12/3 wire instead of 12/2 in case we ever wanted to
replace the ceiling light with a ceiling fan/light. The ceiling box for
the existing light was already installed using a ceiling fan box in case
the light was ever changed to a ceiling fan/light fixture.

So, what I would like to do now is change the existing ceiling light to
a ceiling fan/light, and change the switch setup at each doorway to be
able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling individually from either
doorway.

Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring that is now in place
(without using any wireless/remote devices)? If so, how would I wire
that?

Not hard wired without pulling another 3 wire cable between the switch
locations, but Casablanca makes Intellitouch 3 way controls for their
fans, which would control both fan speed and light dimming from both
locations

Thanks. I actually could pull another 3 wire cable between the switch
locations without too much trouble. Both are above an open ceiling
basement and are easily accessible from below.

So, in terms of wiring, would I then be thinking of the setup as being
similar to having two 3-way switches for the fan (one at each doorway) and
two 3-way switches for the light (also one at each doorway)?

Yes, although I don't believe I've ever seen a 3way fan speed control