Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default 3-way switches to ceiling fan and light?

Jay-T wrote:
I am trying to figure out how to (or if I can) wire a ceiling fan and
light so that the fan and light are controlled separately -- and both
are controlled from two different sets of switches at two different
locations. The room has two doorways and I would like to be able to
control the ceiling fan and light individually from a set of switches
located near each of the doorways. This would be similar to having
a ceiling light controlled by two 3-way switches, with one at each
doorway, except that in this case I would like the switch sets to be
able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling fan light separately from
either doorway.
Here is the existing wiring configuration:

The power/feed goes to the first switch setup at doorway "1" with
12/2 wire; then 12/3 wire goes from there to the switch setup at
doorway "2"; then 12/3 wire goes from there up to a ceiling light. In
other words, the room is presently wired as a typical 3-way switch
setup to a ceiling light, but the wiring going up to the existing
ceiling light was prewired with 12/3 wire instead of 12/2 in case we
ever wanted to replace the ceiling light with a ceiling fan/light. The
ceiling box for the existing light was already installed using a
ceiling fan box in case the light was ever changed to a ceiling
fan/light fixture.
So, what I would like to do now is change the existing ceiling light
to a ceiling fan/light, and change the switch setup at each doorway
to be able to control the ceiling fan and ceiling individually from
either doorway.
Is there a way to do this using the existing wiring that is now in
place (without using any wireless/remote devices)? If so, how would
I wire that?

Screw it. Get a remote control fan/light with multiple remotes.