Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No COLD water in washing machine?

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming it does have CW at the faucet, the CW hose could be kinked
shut, crud could be plugging the screen at the inlet valve in the
machine, the machine's inlet valve itself could be bad, the water
temperatire selector or associated wiring could be bad. All just guesses
without being there. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Easy stuff first. Is the shut off valve for the cold water turned on? If
it is turn it off and isconnect the cold water hose from the washer. turn
the valve on again. (aim it into a bucket ) and check for water coming out
when the shut off is turned on again.
If no water coming out check for clogged filters at both enda of the hose.
If water comes out of the hose then it is most likely the the valve on the
washer. If the owner is good to work with have them repalce the valve. If
the owner is uwilling, changing the valve is not a big job. get the machine
make and model and call appliance part shop and get pricing. Might be
cheaper on line but delivery time is a factor.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:48*am, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark".

If she is renting, is she also renting the machine?

If so, she should call the landlord - not just because it's the
landlord's responsibility, but if the attempted repair causes more
damage, she could be liable for a new machine - or at least subject to
a major finger-pointing hassle.

That said, if it were my machine, I'd turn off the water to the
machine, remove the cold hose from the back of the washer and turn the
water back on - with the hose in a sink/bucket of course.

If there's water coming out of the hose, then perhaps the solenoid for
the cold water valve is broken or if it's a fairly modern machine,
some electronic control circuitry could be bad.

Again, I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark", but you didn't give
us any information as to the type or vintage of the machine so it's
kind of hard to be any more specific.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Do you really think we give a crap that you don't want remarks? You
probably excluded many of the people that would also give a sensible
reply in addition to an idiotic remark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 10:23*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Do you really think we give a crap that you don't want remarks? *You
probably excluded many of the people that would also give a sensible
reply in addition to an idiotic remark. *

Most likely it's the solenoid valve. After checking that water is
available at the end of the hose and that the screen on the washer
connection, if there is one, is not plugged, next step is to find out
if there is voltage on the solenoid when cold water should be
filling. If there is voltage, then the solenoid valve needs to be
replaced. They aren't very expensive and relatively easy to do.

But, per other comments, if the machine is part of the rental, they
should just call the landlord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:48*am, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

We have hard water around here and the time that happened to me it was
because lime had built up in the screen where the hose connects to the
shutoff valve.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 9:48*am, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Same problem became a huge pain.

I disconnected the hose and turned on the spigot. OK
Checked the screen. OK
Checked for voltage at the solenoid valve OK
Replaced the solenoid valve, still had the same problem.

Back to square one

Replaced the spigot, problem solved.

I never really troubleshot it anymore but I think the spigot had a
loose washer. The spigot worked OK when you turned it on and off
manually but I think the all-at-once action of the solenoid valve
caused the loose washer to seal against the valve seat.

Jimmie

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))

This is a fairly common problem these days. It's the result of global
warming.

Any ideas?

Not much she can do except work for the enactment of the climate
change bill.

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 2:45*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou, being a smart person, has probably already checked the cold water
bib and cold water hose, anyway? Checking for clogging and/or debris?
BTW solenoid valves often have have screens in them too!

Would recommend to check the cold water solenoid or the wiring to it.
Can do that (although he probably already knows this?) by swapping hot/
cold hoses.

If cold water with hoses swapped then goes into the tub when machine
is set to hot or mixed then it is MOST LIKELY the cold solenoid valve.
Or the wiring or switch controlling it. Since solenoids do
occasionally burn out. I've seen maybe two or three in the last 50
years or so, it's more usually the hot ones that go open, I'd opt for
checking the cold water solenoid coil.

Solenoid valves are pretty simple to disassemble and it may be
possible to just replace the coil.

The last repair we had to do on our 'dishwasher, by the way, was
replace the coil of the (hot water in this case) solenoid water inlet
valve. They are all much the same and the coil from another used one
is often a perfect fit.

If it's wiring (unlikely) or switches (slightly more likely) it's
pretty simple for anyone with basic electrical knowledge to
troubleshoot.

That remark about 'renting' is unclear! But in the mean time if the
user does need to use the machine the cold hose could be used to run
some cold water into the open top of the washer while it is filling
with hot; or it could be used to fill the washer with cold water and
then supervise the rest of the washing cycle adding cold water
manually until machine is fixed.

Or with hoses swapped it would at least be possible to wash with COLD
only while the machine is set to HOT and allow it to go through it's
whole cycle. Used washing machines not very expensive anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))

This is a fairly common problem these days. It's the result of global
warming.

Any ideas?

Not much she can do except work for the enactment of the climate
change bill.

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Couldn't resist huh MM? :-)

Everybody excels at something. My idiodic remarks would be:

Is it plugged in?
Did someone steal the cold water hose while no one was looking?
Bill paid? Does anything get water?
Didn't say she was not getting hot water. Is hot water coming out of cold
line?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

When my water was slow I pulled the hose attached at the machine,
there was a recessed filter in the machine it was clogged. If machines
are part of the rental let the landlord do it or let him know, you
break it you might pay.

Try posting at althvac for a professional polite non idiotic real
response, thats where all the good repairman are, they help fix
everything at althvac. Nice bunch of polite guys. Did you try
turning on the water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 2:24*pm, ransley wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:48*am, LouB wrote:

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

* *When my water was slow I pulled the hose attached at the machine,
there was a recessed filter in the machine it was clogged. If machines
are part of the rental let the landlord do it or let him know, you
break it you might pay.

*Try posting at althvac for a professional polite non idiotic real
response, thats where all the good repairman are, they help fix
everything at * althvac. Nice bunch of polite guys. Did you try
turning on the water.

althvac Nice bunch of polite guys

He said no idiotic remarks. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:48 am, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

When my water was slow I pulled the hose attached at the machine,
there was a recessed filter in the machine it was clogged. If machines
are part of the rental let the landlord do it or let him know, you
break it you might pay.

Try posting at althvac for a professional polite non idiotic real
response, thats where all the good repairman are, they help fix
everything at althvac. Nice bunch of polite guys. Did you try
turning on the water.

I don't know the laws in different states, but way back in the 70's in
PA the renter was responsible for all repairs under $100. That amount
may have gone up? Or maybe there is no such law in your state? In PA
even with that law, the landlord often took care of such problems rather
than have some half assed fix it guy come in and screw things up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 2:59*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:48 am, LouB wrote:
[...]

I really can't imagine that there was ever any such law in any
state. A rental situation is a private contract between two
parties. Having the state involved in detemining who's responsible
for repairs creates a whole series of problems and I don't see what
problem it's trying to solve. Does the tenant then have the right to
climb on my roof to make the a repair? Who has liabitity if they
fall? Suppose I don't want an idiot tenant to make any repairs
themselves or to choose a half-assed guy they want to fix things?
Who can determine in advance what a given repair will cost? Suppose
they call a repairman to fix a washing machine and upon getting there,
it costs $200? Suppose you happen to live in a house that has a
couple of $100 repairs a month? Does the tenent then pay $200 every
month? As a landlord, could I then say to my tenant, the front steps
need to be painted, you have to do it because it's less than $100?
Next month, I tell them the walkway needs to be power washed.

Clearly there are some rental situations where it's agreed between the
parties that the tenent is responsible for certain maintenance
items. A common example would be cutting the grass or snow removal.

*In PA
even with that law, the landlord often took care of such problems rather
than have some half assed fix it guy come in and screw things up.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a real reply, to an idiotic usenet post. You were
very gentle, all considered.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Again, I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark", but you
didn't give
us any information as to the type or vintage of the machine
so it's
kind of hard to be any more specific.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is one of the few free speech zones left, so I'll just
finish eating my dinner, and step outside for a good ripper
of a fart.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Do you really think we give a crap that you don't want
remarks? You
probably excluded many of the people that would also give a
sensible
reply in addition to an idiotic remark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dear Jimmie,

Dear Jimmie,

You know, that sounds like it would have been nearly
impossible to diagnose.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I never really troubleshot it anymore but I think the spigot
had a
loose washer. The spigot worked OK when you turned it on and
off
manually but I think the all-at-once action of the solenoid
valve
caused the loose washer to seal against the valve seat.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her
machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?)
fix:-))

This is a fairly common problem these days. It's the result
of global
warming.

CY: Wrong, it's the fault of Republican obstructionalism.

Any ideas?

Not much she can do except work for the enactment of the
climate
change bill.

CY: Work for hope and change.

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

CY: Have Al Gore come and fix it, or B. Hussein Obama.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 1:43*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 6, 2:24*pm, ransley wrote:

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, LouB wrote:

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

* *When my water was slow I pulled the hose attached at the machine,
there was a recessed filter in the machine it was clogged. If machines
are part of the rental let the landlord do it or let him know, you
break it you might pay.

*Try posting at althvac for a professional polite non idiotic real
response, thats where all the good repairman are, they help fix
everything at * althvac. Nice bunch of polite guys. Did you try
turning on the water.

althvac Nice bunch of polite guys

He said no idiotic remarks. *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Who said he knew of those nice guys

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 2:24*pm, ransley wrote:

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, LouB wrote:

Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

* *When my water was slow I pulled the hose attached at the machine,
there was a recessed filter in the machine it was clogged. If machines
are part of the rental let the landlord do it or let him know, you
break it you might pay.

*Try posting at althvac for a professional polite non idiotic real
response, thats where all the good repairman are, they help fix
everything at * althvac. Nice bunch of polite guys. Did you try
turning on the water.

althvac Nice bunch of polite guys

He said no idiotic remarks. *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Who said he knew of those nice guys

Good point. That could fun to watch!
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Again, I do not mean this as an "idiotic remark", but you
didn't give
us any information as to the type or vintage of the machine
so it's
kind of hard to be any more specific.

"You were very gentle, all considered."

Thank you. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm really a nice guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I really am tempted to write something totally idiotic,
here. But, that would likely cause my nose hairs to grow
faster. And, I could accidentally fart in the tub, and pass
out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
That's a real reply, to an idiotic usenet post. You were
very gentle, all considered.

Thank you. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm really a nice
guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:01*am, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:
Assuming it does have CW at the faucet, the CW hose could be kinked
shut, crud could be plugging the screen at the inlet valve in the
machine, the machine's inlet valve itself could be bad, the water
temperatire selector or associated wiring could be bad. All just guesses
without being there. *Larry

Good. Everyone prior seems to have overlooked that screen in the
machine itself. I am _very_ familiar with it as my well pumps fine
silt and plugs them. I say "them" as I have had 3 machines over 30
years and finally pulled that screen out of all of them.

Never a problem with the hot water as the heater acts as a settling
tank...which reminds me that I need to drain and clean that tank
again.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No COLD water in washing machine? Solved!

LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Turns out the machine was a replacement for another that had failed
about 10 days ago.
Turns out this was the first time machine was used since the install!
Turns out the installers had hooked it up backwards.
Took about three minutes for the appliance crew to fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Derby...as in Soap Box Derby

As in http://aasbd.org

Cool. Do they have an old-timers race? SBD is one of the three
things that I have wanted to do but haven't gotten to yet.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her
machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?)
fix:-))

This is a fairly common problem these days. It's the result
of global
warming.

CY: Wrong, it's the fault of Republican obstructionalism.

Any ideas?

Not much she can do except work for the enactment of the
climate
change bill.

CY: Work for hope and change.

"How's that hope-y, change-y thing workin' out for ya?"
Sarah Palin at the Tea Party Convention.

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

CY: Have Al Gore come and fix it, or B. Hussein Obama.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Turns out the machine was a replacement for another that had failed
about 10 days ago.
Turns out this was the first time machine was used since the install!
Turns out the installers had hooked it up backwards.
Took about three minutes for the appliance crew to fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Lou

Lou, I'm glad you were able to get your friend taken care of. It
seems to me these days that the more complicated our machines
become, the simpler the problems are that keep them from functioning.
I run service calls for a company with national accounts and wind
up going to different retail establishments and many of the problems
are frustratingly simple to repair. A womans apparel store chain I
get calls to quite often, commonly has the simplest problems with their
computer and phone systems. It's usually something unplugged. Of course
I don't shop there because they have nothing in my size.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 8:13*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

Derby...as in Soap Box Derby

As inhttp://aasbd.org

Cool. * Do they have an old-timers race? * * SBD is one of the three
things that I have wanted to do but haven't gotten to yet.g

Jim

The do have an Ultimate Speed Challenge that allows for older drivers
and totally custom made cars (as opposed to the kits now required by
the AASBD.) However, there is one criteria to drive in that race that
I don't think you meet:

You have to have raced in a Championship Race in Akron at least once
in order to be allowed drive an Ultimate Speed car. That means you
must have raced as a kid (8 -17) and have been good enough to make it
to Akron by winning your city's annual race or by earning enough
points on the Rally Circuit.

Here are a few pictures from last year's USC. We're in the process of
building a car for the 2010 race which my daughter will be driving.

1st:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ul...ge/3910550747/

2nd:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ul...ge/3910642571/

3rd:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2009_ul...ge/3911333474/

Pics of all entries and movies of the heats can be found he

http://www.estatetrafficschool.com/U...eed%202009.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
LouB wrote in news:4B6E95EF.6050208
@invalid.invalid:

LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou

Turns out the machine was a replacement for another that had failed
about 10 days ago.
Turns out this was the first time machine was used since the install!
Turns out the installers had hooked it up backwards.
Took about three minutes for the appliance crew to fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Lou

And you didn't want idiodic remarks...

Well the lady has had major brain surgery so is entitled to some slack.
I have zero plumbing knowledge and she is in a rented house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote in news:4B6FD0AC.6080804
@invalid.invalid:

LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou
Turns out the machine was a replacement for another that had failed
about 10 days ago.
Turns out this was the first time machine was used since the install!
Turns out the installers had hooked it up backwards.
Took about three minutes for the appliance crew to fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Lou

And you didn't want idiodic remarks...

Well the lady has had major brain surgery so is entitled to some slack.
I have zero plumbing knowledge and she is in a rented house.

Thanks for the feedback. We don't always get that. And it's nothing on
the lady. She didn't hook it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))
Any ideas?

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou
Turns out the machine was a replacement for another that had failed
about 10 days ago.
Turns out this was the first time machine was used since the install!
Turns out the installers had hooked it up backwards.
Took about three minutes for the appliance crew to fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Lou

And you didn't want idiodic remarks...

Well the lady has had major brain surgery so is entitled to some slack.
I have zero plumbing knowledge and she is in a rented house.

You're a good man for helping her out. We need more people like you.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 6, 2:59*pm, Tony wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 6, 8:48 am, LouB wrote:
[...]

Where are you that you can even get a repairman to show up for less
than $100?

nate