Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default No COLD water in washing machine?

On Feb 6, 2:45*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:48:31 -0500, LouB wrote:
Friend says she now can not get cold water from her machine.
Since she is renting I am hoping there is an easy(?) fix:-))

Real ideas not idiotic remarks, thanks

Lou, being a smart person, has probably already checked the cold water
bib and cold water hose, anyway? Checking for clogging and/or debris?
BTW solenoid valves often have have screens in them too!

Would recommend to check the cold water solenoid or the wiring to it.
Can do that (although he probably already knows this?) by swapping hot/
cold hoses.

If cold water with hoses swapped then goes into the tub when machine
is set to hot or mixed then it is MOST LIKELY the cold solenoid valve.
Or the wiring or switch controlling it. Since solenoids do
occasionally burn out. I've seen maybe two or three in the last 50
years or so, it's more usually the hot ones that go open, I'd opt for
checking the cold water solenoid coil.

Solenoid valves are pretty simple to disassemble and it may be
possible to just replace the coil.

The last repair we had to do on our 'dishwasher, by the way, was
replace the coil of the (hot water in this case) solenoid water inlet
valve. They are all much the same and the coil from another used one
is often a perfect fit.

If it's wiring (unlikely) or switches (slightly more likely) it's
pretty simple for anyone with basic electrical knowledge to
troubleshoot.

That remark about 'renting' is unclear! But in the mean time if the
user does need to use the machine the cold hose could be used to run
some cold water into the open top of the washer while it is filling
with hot; or it could be used to fill the washer with cold water and
then supervise the rest of the washing cycle adding cold water
manually until machine is fixed.

Or with hoses swapped it would at least be possible to wash with COLD
only while the machine is set to HOT and allow it to go through it's
whole cycle. Used washing machines not very expensive anyway.