Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bigdaddy

Default No cold water in my HOTPOINT washing machine !!!

Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bigdaddy

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:01:12 +0100, "Ron(UK)"
wrote:

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

Thanks for your help. There are just 2 Solenoid switches in one, and
there is another switch beside it. Is that what you mean. Or the
pressure reducer has to be bought separately.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

wrote:

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

Thanks for your help. There are just 2 Solenoid switches in one, and
there is another switch beside it. Is that what you mean. Or the
pressure reducer has to be bought separately.

If it`s a hot and cold fill, there will be two separate valves, the cold
is usually a twin with two coils, one side is for the cold fill and the
other is for the last rinse/conditioner fill. The pressure reducers are
little black 'barrels' pushed down the output spout of the valve - yours
may not have any. They can only easily be removed by sawing off the
output spout of the old valve and pushing them out with a blunt rod. You
can buy them from Hotpoint or maybe a decent repair shop will have some.
When you fit the pressure reducers push them as far in as they go or
they may blow out into the rubber hose and cause it to blow off the valve.

The cold valve is often white and hot is red btw.

HTH

Ron (UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

Thank again. I tested all the 3 Solenoid with a multi meter. They
all read 3.75K. I do not know how much they should read.

If the Solenoid switched are ok, then where the problem lies.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK)

wrote:

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

Thank again. I tested all the 3 Solenoid with a multi meter. They
all read 3.75K. I do not know how much they should read.

If the Solenoid switched are ok, then where the problem lies.
Any help would be appreciated.

Next step is to check that there`s mains voltage on any of the solenoids
when there should be.

It could be the pressure vessel clogged with gunge, it`s a plastic
fitting on the tub at the lower end of a thin, usually transparent
plastic tube running down from a circular pressure switch.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

wrote:

bigdaddy wrote:
Hi all,

My washing machine spins and all that but the water suddenly stop
entering.

How to find out whether the Solenoid Switch is kaput or it is not
getting current from the programmer or some thing else.

One of the most common faults on Hotpoint machines is water valve
solenoid coils going open circuit. You can check this with a simple
multimeter.

I'f you replace the whole valve, there may be black pressure reducers in
the outlets which may need to be fitted to the new valves.

Ron(UK)

Thank again. I tested all the 3 Solenoid with a multi meter. They
all read 3.75K. I do not know how much they should read.

If the Solenoid switched are ok, then where the problem lies.
Any help would be appreciated.

See if the cold water valve solenoid is getting power when in Cold and Fill.

If it is, either it's not opening the valve, or very likely in some areas,
is that the cold water line valve is clogged with debris. Disassemble
and clean, starting with the cold water hose and it's filter screen