Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crawl space vent cover?

The humidity in the crawl space is high during rainy season (winter) here,
and I want to set up a dehumidifier. This means I need to close the crawl
space vents temporarily. In the summer I won't need the dehumidifier and the
vents would have to be opened again.

What's a good way to close the vents that is easy to re-open? I prefer being
able to open and close them from the outside so I don't have to crawl into
the crawl space.

Some of my house vents are "sunken" similar to this pic (not my house, just
using it for convenience). Actually mine is sunken even deeper.

http://www.pugetsoundhomeinspections...143554_std.jpg

I search the web and found only one closable crawl space vent. Is there
something I can pick up at a local hardware store?

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=174938

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.pugetsoundhomeinspections...in/assets/imag...

I search the web and found only one closable crawl space vent. Is there
something I can pick up at a local hardware store?

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=174938

I made covers for one house from sheet Styrofoam. I used a circular
saw to cut it, as no other tool left as clean an edge, or was quite as
accurate. we used them for 10 years and they were still there when we
moved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:32*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Feb 1, 11:19*pm, "david" wrote:

[...]

moved.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds good to me, a wooden cover would absorb moisture and the
styrofoam would be much more inert.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:19:35 -0800, "david" wrote:

The humidity in the crawl space is high during rainy season (winter) here,
and I want to set up a dehumidifier. This means I need to close the crawl
space vents temporarily. In the summer I won't need the dehumidifier and the
vents would have to be opened again.

What's a good way to close the vents that is easy to re-open? I prefer being
able to open and close them from the outside so I don't have to crawl into
the crawl space.

Some of my house vents are "sunken" similar to this pic (not my house, just
using it for convenience). Actually mine is sunken even deeper.

http://www.pugetsoundhomeinspections...143554_std.jpg

I search the web and found only one closable crawl space vent. Is there

That's very intersting. Our ranch house built between 1950 and 54 in
Indianpolis had them. I think they were cast aluminum, or maybe iron.
There were vertical slots and a handle on the outside that only had to
move 3/4 inch sideways to close all the slots. We opened or closed
them every spring and fall.

Painted outdoor plywood wouldn't soak up much humidity and if one ever
rotted in 20 or 30 years, you could make a new one. But I guess his
endorsement of styrofoam is very good.

That's styrofoam itself, right Eric? Not the newer stuff that is made
with some sort of little balls squeezed together, that breaks so
easily. I have a winter cover for my hose bib that is made of that
stuff, and the other one broke.

something I can pick up at a local hardware store?

http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...product=174938

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 12:30*am, mm wrote:
[...]

My material was left over drop in ceiling 2' X 4" tiles. It was high
density, & had a pattern pressed into it making it even tighter. There
are high density 4' X 8' sheets that would do as well. The only
problem I ever had was the neighbors grandchildren taking them off and
playing with them. A scolding solved that, but I had to make a couple
of replacements. My vents were concrete and had a stud in the middle
for an accessory cover. That held them on nicely even though it didn't
protrude enough to put a nut on it.
On my present house they were wood, and very hand made. I found some
plastic ones with thermal activated louvers at a habitat store, and am
changing them out as I rebuild the walls in hardie-board. I'm not sure
just how effective the thermal part is, but they look a lot better.

Crawl Space Vent Covers Bad Idea? Albert Home Repair 7 June 24th 08 04:05 AM
Crawl space vent to outside - can I seal it? Mulan Home Repair 7 October 12th 06 09:38 PM
Moisture in crawl space area, need assist on vent fan. Randy and Ann Home Repair 4 August 19th 05 06:08 PM
CRAWL SPACE theo Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 01:32 PM
best way to insulate a crawl space? TP Home Repair 7 September 15th 04 06:23 PM