Randy and Ann

Default Moisture in crawl space area, need assist on vent fan.

We bought a house in Virginia Beach about a year ago & have had issues
with moisture under the house in our crawl space; the clearance is about 30"
under the house. As near as I can tell, there's nothing leaking and it's a
poor ventilation issue. The crawl space has 7 vents to the outside, however
due to poor design and how the house is laid out, there's no real cross
ventilation. We do have plastic laid down (because Virginia Beach is built
on a swamp and it's always damp under there). Anyway, my question is what
type of fan should I get? It'll have to be one that fits in the vents that's
already there... Thanks in advance for the advice. Randy

Randy and Ann

New info, I've now had some folks tell me not to use a crawl space fan that
will fit into one of the 7 vents and some to tell me TO use the fan... Very
confused at this point, appriciate any assistance. Thanks, Randy

"Randy and Ann" wrote in message
We bought a house in Virginia Beach about a year ago & have had issues
with moisture under the house in our crawl space; the clearance is about
30" under the house. As near as I can tell, there's nothing leaking and
it's a poor ventilation issue. The crawl space has 7 vents to the outside,
however due to poor design and how the house is laid out, there's no real
cross ventilation. We do have plastic laid down (because Virginia Beach is
built on a swamp and it's always damp under there). Anyway, my question is
what type of fan should I get? It'll have to be one that fits in the vents
that's already there... Thanks in advance for the advice. Randy

Stretch

Try these links:
especially the first one

Crawlspace problems
http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...S=&NI L=false

We're in the mold business
http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...S=&NI L=false

Humidity Control
http://www.contractingbusiness.com/C...S=&NI L=false

Stretch

Aleksey Telyshev

Randy and Ann wrote:
We bought a house in Virginia Beach about a year ago & have had issues
with moisture under the house in our crawl space; the clearance is about 30"
under the house. As near as I can tell, there's nothing leaking and it's a
poor ventilation issue. The crawl space has 7 vents to the outside, however
due to poor design and how the house is laid out, there's no real cross
ventilation. We do have plastic laid down (because Virginia Beach is built
on a swamp and it's always damp under there). Anyway, my question is what
type of fan should I get? It'll have to be one that fits in the vents that's
already there... Thanks in advance for the advice. Randy

Check HUMIDEX... Looks like it is only one effective solution on market...
Randy and Ann

I appreciate all the assistance and have done some more research via
the internet, hard ware stores, etc. A couple facts: It's always wet in
Virginia Beach with the water table being at only a few feet below surface
level. It's not wet enough for a sump pump. The plastic vapor barrier needs
fixed a little & some of the insulation is wet which will need replaced.
I've also talked to a number of folks about the fan in one of the vents to
the outside & have determined it's a bad idea. With the high humidity factor
in Va Beach, it'll do more harm than good. I ran into another person at HD
with the exact same problem. An under house fan of some type to circulate
the air under there seems to be a good idea. It's only wet in places and
half the crawl space is completely dry. No pipes are broken. I've also run
into a couple of neighbors who have the same problem. It's starting to
create a little mold and will wash it with a bleach solution. Any further
suggestions are welcome and I greatly appreciate the info to date. Thanks a
million. Randy