TP

Default best way to insulate a crawl space?

Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10
(upstate NY). I see rolls of this white material used in new
home construction. 4'x50' rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass
against the CMU wall. I have also seen R19 un-faced fiberglass
up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit cheaper sq ft) than
the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to insulate a
crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Thanks
TP
thunder

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:03:33 +0000, TP wrote:

Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10 (upstate NY). I
see rolls of this white material used in new home construction. 4'x50'
rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass against the CMU wall. I have also seen
R19 un-faced fiberglass up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit
cheaper sq ft) than the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to
insulate a crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Is there some reason you wish to heat your crawl space? By insulating the
outside walls you are, in effect, heating the crawl space. Unless there
is some pressing reason not to, IMO it is better to insulate at the floor
joists.
Joseph Meehan

TP wrote:
Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10
(upstate NY). I see rolls of this white material used in new
home construction. 4'x50' rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass
against the CMU wall. I have also seen R19 un-faced fiberglass
up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit cheaper sq ft) than
the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to insulate a
crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Thanks
TP

Insulate the floor and vent the crawlspace.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Red Neckerson

"TP" wrote
Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10
(upstate NY). I see rolls of this white material used in new
home construction. 4'x50' rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass
against the CMU wall. I have also seen R19 un-faced fiberglass
up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit cheaper sq ft) than
the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to insulate a
crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Use those styrofoam shipping "peanuts". They are all OVER the place! You
could set up collection bins at various work places and go around and
collect them up once a week until you have enough to fill your crawlspace.
You'll insulate your home AND help the environment at the same time!

Tom Baker

thunder wrote in message ...
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:03:33 +0000, TP wrote:

Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10 (upstate NY). I
see rolls of this white material used in new home construction. 4'x50'
rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass against the CMU wall. I have also seen
R19 un-faced fiberglass up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit
cheaper sq ft) than the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to
insulate a crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Is there some reason you wish to heat your crawl space? By insulating the
outside walls you are, in effect, heating the crawl space. Unless there
is some pressing reason not to, IMO it is better to insulate at the floor
joists.

Look at the Building Science Corporation web site for a discussion of
insulated crawl spaces.
There appear to be good reasons to insulate the walls of crawl spaces
in many cases.
TB

TP

Thanks. :-) I'd like to keep the mice out please... It is
considered a heated crawl, because it has access to existing
basement 18"x24" opening. So code calls for R10.

Scott wrote:

not to mention prived a nice home for mice!

"TP" wrote

Use those styrofoam shipping "peanuts". They are all OVER the place! You
could set up collection bins at various work places and go around and
collect them up once a week until you have enough to fill your crawlspace.
You'll insulate your home AND help the environment at the same time!

John Hines

thunder wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:03:33 +0000, TP wrote:

Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10 (upstate NY). I
see rolls of this white material used in new home construction. 4'x50'
rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass against the CMU wall. I have also seen
R19 un-faced fiberglass up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit
cheaper sq ft) than the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to
insulate a crawl space 5 CMU block in height?

Is there some reason you wish to heat your crawl space? By insulating the
outside walls you are, in effect, heating the crawl space. Unless there
is some pressing reason not to, IMO it is better to insulate at the floor
joists.

Plumbing in the crawlspace? If so, then letting that area get below
freezing has its own problems.