Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default A Test for young people

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 04:56:21 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Was there even a min wage back then? Now days how many weeks
pay is a television?

I saw a 7" digital tv advertised on sign out front of a CVS pharmacy
for 77 dollars if I read it correctly. I don't think it had
electronic tuning though. You had to crank a level with one hand
while you shoved pieces of wood into the tuner with the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:35:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I have a keyring on my belt and I always have two sets of keys to the
vehicle I'm driving at all times. Because of the prevalence of sticky
fingers in the area, I automatically lock any vehicle when I get out.
If I'm distracted, I may forget that the keys are in the ignition.

TDD

I locked myself out of the car on Wednesday. First time in 3 years.
2nd time in 20 years. Third time in 35 years.

This time I coninued talking on the phone after I turned the car off.
I now resolve to take the keys out as soon as I turn the car off, and
put them in my shirt pocket. They're hard to put in the pants pocket
when I'm sitting down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a keyring on my belt and I always have two sets of keys to the
vehicle I'm driving at all times. Because of the prevalence of sticky
fingers in the area, I automatically lock any vehicle when I get out.
If I'm distracted, I may forget that the keys are in the ignition.

I locked myself out of the car on Wednesday. First time in 3 years.
2nd time in 20 years. Third time in 35 years.

I have a very solid habit of taking the keys with me, ingrained, I'm sure, by
by very first car -- which could be locked only with the door closed, and
hence only with the key, or with the window down, conveniently making it
completely impossible to lock your keys in the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a keyring on my belt and I always have two sets of keys to the
vehicle I'm driving at all times. Because of the prevalence of sticky
fingers in the area, I automatically lock any vehicle when I get out.
If I'm distracted, I may forget that the keys are in the ignition.

TDD

I locked myself out of the car on Wednesday. First time in 3 years.
2nd time in 20 years. Third time in 35 years.

This time I coninued talking on the phone after I turned the car off.
I now resolve to take the keys out as soon as I turn the car off, and
put them in my shirt pocket. They're hard to put in the pants pocket
when I'm sitting down.

I have a cut-down spare key in my wallet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in another
pocket?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

I locked myself out of the car on Wednesday. First time in
3 years.
2nd time in 20 years. Third time in 35 years.

This time I coninued talking on the phone after I turned the
car off.
I now resolve to take the keys out as soon as I turn the car
off, and
put them in my shirt pocket. They're hard to put in the
pants pocket
when I'm sitting down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of my favorite lock outs. I got a call from a guy locked
out of his car. He'd had a spare made, and tried it to be
sure it worked. When he locked his keys in, he found out
that his spare key (square) didn't fit the doors, which need
the round key. GM product, you know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I have a cut-down spare key in my wallet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

I have a cut-down spare key in my wallet.

Just read a great story of a lock-in the other day (Time magazine
online): "If only every rescue were this easy. A Florida woman called
911 saying she was stuck inside her car with the windows up in a
Walgreen's parking lot. Her engine wouldn't start, and it was getting
hot. The 911 operator's advice? Unlock the door, and pull the handle.
Presto."
Posted to alt.home.repair

The operator could have asked which walgreens. Had them send
the manager out with a big hammer, and break all her
windows.

You ever have the powerful impression that some people are
so stupid they should not breed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jo Ann" wrote in message

Just read a great story of a lock-in the other day (Time
magazine
online): "If only every rescue were this easy. A Florida
woman called
911 saying she was stuck inside her car with the windows up
in a
Walgreen's parking lot. Her engine wouldn't start, and it
was getting
hot. The 911 operator's advice? Unlock the door, and pull
the handle.
Presto."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One of my favorite lock outs. I got a call from a guy locked
out of his car. He'd had a spare made, and tried it to be
sure it worked. When he locked his keys in, he found out
that his spare key (square) didn't fit the doors, which need
the round key. GM product, you know.

Big Red, the Dodge van, one key fits everything. Pipsqueak the
Astrovan has the traditional two Chevy keys. Little Whitey the
Ford Aerostar panel van is a one key vehicle. I like one key
for a service vehicle and of course I have to lock the ladder
rack. At one time I had a warehouse where the key for the front
door fit a padlock on the back door, I liked it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
The operator could have asked which walgreens. Had them send
the manager out with a big hammer, and break all her
windows.

You ever have the powerful impression that some people are
so stupid they should not breed?

I would assume since this happened in Florida (where old people go to
die) and the circumstances, the woman was well beyond her breeding years.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in another
pocket?

I carry a spare door key in my wallet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hjs9ro
:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the
answers!

1. What is a record player?

2. What is a dial telephone?

3. Who were the Beatles?

4. What is an 8-track tape player?

5. How many major wars occured in the 20th century?

6. What is inflation?

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

8. What was the draft?

9. How were things done before computers?

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

11. You buy an item for $1.27. You hand the clerk two dollars. Without a
using a calculator, how much change should you get back?

We've seen kids at a cash register practically in tears trying to make
change when the power went out.

I went to a grocery store some time ago where the registers were manned
by my darker skinned cousins and the cute young lady at the register
handed me $22.00 in change after I gave her a twenty for an eleven
dollar purchase. Of course, I gave her back the excess change. I wonder
how many people didn't.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
Sam E wrote in
:

[snip]

Ask them to tell you what time it is using a regular clock instead of a
digital one...LOL...

For how long will an analog clock be called "regular"?

We quit calling analog clocks "normal" and "regular" many years ago...my
kids see an analog clock on the wall, and they ask me what that funny
looking thing is.

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess the car people can't make up their mind. One key, or
two.

The padlock on a house key, that's been around for ages.

Me, I've had my last of the Mopar family. I've had three
Dodges, and none of them ran well. Make that four, I just
remembered. I'm a slow learner, I guess. Drive Chevrolet,
now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

Big Red, the Dodge van, one key fits everything. Pipsqueak
the
Astrovan has the traditional two Chevy keys. Little Whitey
the
Ford Aerostar panel van is a one key vehicle. I like one key
for a service vehicle and of course I have to lock the
ladder
rack. At one time I had a warehouse where the key for the
front
door fit a padlock on the back door, I liked it.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is truly wise. You'd be amazed how many people live
with one set of keys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in
another
pocket?

I carry a spare door key in my wallet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

African lottery?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message

I went to a grocery store some time ago where the registers
were manned
by my darker skinned cousins and the cute young lady at the
register
handed me $22.00 in change after I gave her a twenty for an
eleven
dollar purchase. Of course, I gave her back the excess
change. I wonder
how many people didn't.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or slip-on penny loafers. Yah, a whole generation can't read
dial face clocks, or tie shoe laces. So sad, and pathetic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Zootal wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

If it is a nervous kid obviously just starting out, I will be very
patient with them, and point out the error sweetly, even if it is in my
favor. I have no problem with somebody being new on the job- everyone
has to start somewhere. But when the clerk is a know-it-all or a
slackjaw giving me attitude, or a kid with a cell phone glued to their
ear while they are ringing me up and otherwise ignoring me, if the error
is in my favor, I leave. Let them explain to the manager why the drawer
is short. Stupidity should be painful sometimes.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Zootal wrote:
Sam E wrote in
:

[snip]

Ask them to tell you what time it is using a regular clock instead
of a digital one...LOL...

For how long will an analog clock be called "regular"?

We quit calling analog clocks "normal" and "regular" many years
ago...my kids see an analog clock on the wall, and they ask me what
that funny looking thing is.

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?

TDD

Hey, I resemble that remark! Velcro shoes are great! I have one pair I
keep clean, and only use for going through airports, since almost none
of them give you anywhere to sit down and put your shoes back on,
anywhere near the checkpoint. Velcro I can handle while doing my stork
imitation, wearing my backpack.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Or slip-on penny loafers. Yah, a whole generation can't read
dial face clocks, or tie shoe laces. So sad, and pathetic.

I wore penny loafers while growing up. Never did put the penny or dimes in
them. That was about 50 years ago. I did know how to tie shoes,but the
loafers felt beter on my feet at that time. Drove cars with manual
transmissions also. One has to learn more than one way to do things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My 2001 Dodge company van has a single key for everything. A longtime
ago, somehow a key broke off in the passengers door. I tried to get it
out but was not able to.It so happens it is in the lock enough to
operare it and short enough that it is not visible. All I have to do is
stick a dime in the little slot and open the door. I have combination
locks on my ladder rack. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

The operator could have asked which walgreens. Had them send the manager
out with a big hammer, and break all her windows.

You ever have the powerful impression that some people are so stupid they
should not breed?

I have that flashback in Utah a lot. No lifeguard at the gene pool.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 12:25*pm, Zootal wrote:
11. You buy an item for $1.27. You hand the clerk two dollars. Without a
using a calculator, how much change should you get back?

We've seen kids at a cash register practically in tears trying to make
change when the power went out.

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier
$2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a
cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when
someone can't figure out simple finance like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 10:17*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
2. What is a dial telephone?

Even funnier: I have friends here in western Maryland who remember
when you didn't dial the telephone, but picked it up and told the
operator who to connect you to.

3. Who were the Beatles?

Seriously? I guess there are teenagers who don't know. They should get
off my damned lawn.

5. How many major wars occured [sic] in the 20th century?

Define "major", if you mean something other than the so-called "world"
wars.

6. What is inflation?

Something used to tar Jimmy Carter as a bad president. Oh, and the
hostages. And the attack rabbit. And lusting after the Poles.

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

35¢ a gallon. I also remember my parents getting up at 5:30 in the
morning to go wait in line for gas on alternating days (MD used the
last digit of your license plate to regulate when you could buy gas).

9. How were things done before computers?

How do you use a computer to make dinner these days? Go to the
bathroom or take a shower?

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

You do realize how hopelessly stone-age we are if we use email. Here's
how you break out the generations: "Greatest" generation: letters and
cards; "Baby Boomers": email; "Postmodernists/Postmillenials/
Generation Digital": text messaging.

That's the strangest thing to me is the 20somethings who buy cell
phones to text, not to talk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kyle" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 12:25 pm, Zootal wrote:
11. You buy an item for $1.27. You hand the clerk two dollars. Without a
using a calculator, how much change should you get back?

We've seen kids at a cash register practically in tears trying to make
change when the power went out.

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier
$2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a
cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when
someone can't figure out simple finance like that.

reply:

One time I was making change for a customer, and instead of doing it the
regular way, I did it in random order, a nickel here and calling out the
number then a quarter and calling out the number, all the time ending up
with a number that did not end in a 5 or a 0 but ending up at the amt
tendered.

She chuckled.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:12:35 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in another
pocket?

I carried two sets of keys for more than 20 years. Not sure why I
wanted to stop, but other than getting locked out, I like it this way.
:-(

I have a spare house and car key buried somewhere near my house. I've
used that several times in 25 years to get into the house. And until
a year ago I had a neighor who was usually home with keys. Maybe I
need to carry another key now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
2. What is a dial telephone?

Even funnier: I have friends here in western Maryland who remember
when you didn't dial the telephone, but picked it up and told the
operator who to connect you to.

It was not that long ago for me. Not sure exectally when we got a dial
phone, but I know I was in grade school and the operator would ask for the
number. That would have been atleast 1956 in North Carolina. I only
remember 1042 as the number of the store my mother worked at as a book
keeper.
It was in the 80's when I got my first touch tone phone. That cost a
couple of more dollars per month than the dial phone.
We still have a couple of dial phones where I work. Probably because they
are in a big explosion proof box due to the area they are in. This is a
large company with several hundred phones inside. Most of the others are
touchtone and many are speaker phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

When my grandparents left the farm in about 1964 they still had the
"rural partyline" phone with the hand crank.. Don't remember the whole
number, but the last was Ring 32.

If you wanted to call a neighbour on the same party line you just
cranked the crank for the "ring" _ _ _ __ __ was Ring 3-2. 3
Short, and 2 Long.
To get outside line you just cranked with the hook down, if I remeber
correctly, to wake up the operator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Zootal wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

I went through the drive through at my bank one day and the teller gave
me $40.00 too much. I returned it and when people ask me why, my answer
is always the same: "It wasn't mine."

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Zootal wrote:
Sam E wrote in
:

[snip]

Ask them to tell you what time it is using a regular clock instead
of a digital one...LOL...

For how long will an analog clock be called "regular"?

We quit calling analog clocks "normal" and "regular" many years
ago...my kids see an analog clock on the wall, and they ask me what
that funny looking thing is.

Do they wear shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces?

TDD

Hey, I resemble that remark! Velcro shoes are great! I have one pair I
keep clean, and only use for going through airports, since almost none
of them give you anywhere to sit down and put your shoes back on,
anywhere near the checkpoint. Velcro I can handle while doing my stork
imitation, wearing my backpack.

--
aem sends...

I think it would be lots of fun to have some chemical packet in your
shoes that would emit a god awful stink when the TSA Nazis order you
to remove your shoes. Headlines would read "Shoe Stink Bomber Skunks
TSA Officials." I haven't been on an airline flight in over 20 years
and I'm afraid I would get into so much trouble because I would not
be able to keep from messing with the travel Nazis.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new car. I
have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of times over
the years.

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar with the "fake rocks"
(which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old "under the
doormat" trick.

When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place" for the spare house
key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be: on the dog's
collar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your dog was named Sparekey? That would be cute. The dogs
collar is an excellent idea.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Ed
Pawlowski wrote:

I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new
car. I
have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of
times over
the years.

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar
with the "fake rocks"
(which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old
"under the
doormat" trick.

When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place"
for the spare house
key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be:
on the dog's
collar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have a cut-down spare key in my wallet.

Actually hex-like and round and were made by Briggs & Stratton.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I recently had a stretch of my outside phone line replaced. So I could
run an underground phone wire to the garage, the guy ran a junction box
down the side of the pole that is sort of in the middle of the yard.
Well I am damn tempted to hammer in some old type spikes to climb the
pole and hook up a phone 20 feet up like on Green Acres. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new car. I
have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of times over
the years.

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar with the "fake rocks"
(which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old "under the
doormat" trick.

When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place" for the spare house
key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be: on the dog's
collar.

Not if they shoot the dog.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Ed Pawlowski

wrote:
I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new car. I
have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of times over
the years.

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar with the "fake rocks"
(which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old "under the
doormat" trick.

When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place" for the spare house
key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be: on the dog's
collar.

Not if they shoot the dog.

Well, of course they'd have to know that's where the key was before it would
do them any good -- and, as shaggy as that dog was, you'd have to know the key
was there before you could find it.