Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Test for young people

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the
answers!

1. What is a record player?

2. What is a dial telephone?

3. Who were the Beatles?

4. What is an 8-track tape player?

5. How many major wars occured in the 20th century?

6. What is inflation?

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

8. What was the draft?

9. How were things done before computers?

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:17:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
1. What is a record player?

Yeah, I doubt my kids have ever even seen one - even audio cassettes are
a rarity.

4. What is an 8-track tape player?

I don't think I ever saw one of those until I came to the US - I'm not
sure they were ever 'big' anywhere else. I did once have an answerphone
that had a built-in 1/4" reel-to-reel tape deck...

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

I remember our boy getting into our '67 truck for the first time
last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric
windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

8. What was the draft?

Isn't a draft an initial release of something, before you work out how to
do it properly?

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Cell phones seem to be the current thing - our three kids are 8, 10 and
11, and everyone of that age at their schools seems completely obsessed
with owning a cell phone, and holds an unshakable belief that they can't
possibly do without one. It's all a little depressing, somehow.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember about 10 years ago, I was at a station putting Diesel in the
Olds 98 I had, and the young girl clerk came running outside yelling
"Sir, that is Diesel you are putting in, not gas" Told her" yep, that's
what it takes" She couldn't believe it. I admit I gotta give her credit
for being observant and helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

11. How many square feet is a room that is 10'x10', or how much is 10%
of 100--without a calculator.
A while back, I was reading one of the humor pages in a Reader's
Digest,and a teacher had given a test question: The War of 1812 was
between ______ and _____. One answer was--1811 1813.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:50:54 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:17:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
1. What is a record player?

How about a disc RECORDER,
Or a Player Piano?

4. What is an 8-track tape player?

How about a "cassette" recorder that used Cassettes about 6X8 inches
with the wide dape like used on the old real to real? Made by RCA

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the
inevitable gas wars of the late sicties I bought more than one tank
full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

8. What was the draft?

Isn't that what you get when a window or door doesn't seal properly??

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Snail Mail
Had a parcel sent to me in Africa in the seventies, preceded by an air
mail letter. The parcel arrived in 2 days, while the air-mail letter
took several weeks - - - - -.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Snail Mail
Had a parcel sent to me in Africa in the seventies, preceded by an air
mail letter. The parcel arrived in 2 days, while the air-mail letter
took several weeks - - - - -.

In 2007, I tried to contact the owner of the house behind me (on the
same block). I mailed a letter to that address (even though the house
was vacant, someone might be getting the mail). The letter was
returned as undeliverable, early in 2010.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:42:17 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Snail Mail
Had a parcel sent to me in Africa in the seventies, preceded by an air
mail letter. The parcel arrived in 2 days, while the air-mail letter
took several weeks - - - - -.

In 2007, I tried to contact the owner of the house behind me (on the
same block). I mailed a letter to that address (even though the house
was vacant, someone might be getting the mail). The letter was
returned as undeliverable, early in 2010.

Boy, they really tried hard to deliver it!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 Jan 2010 10:16:33 GMT, "Mr.Spock" wrote:

mm wrote in
:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:42:17 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?
Snail Mail
Had a parcel sent to me in Africa in the seventies, preceded by an air
mail letter. The parcel arrived in 2 days, while the air-mail letter
took several weeks - - - - -.

In 2007, I tried to contact the owner of the house behind me (on the
same block). I mailed a letter to that address (even though the house
was vacant, someone might be getting the mail). The letter was
returned as undeliverable, early in 2010.

Boy, they really tried hard to deliver it!

Probably sat in the mailbox all that time.

I'm sure they were out there every week looking for the people who
lived there. Probably referred it to the Inspector General to find
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jan 28, 1:10*pm, wrote:

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the
inevitable gas wars of the late sicties I bought more than one tank
full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

And for each 5gal purchase you got free glasses or plates.
I think I still have a few of those glasses in my cupboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't remember what brand. Free screw driver with 8 gal
fill up. I still have a couple of them.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"KC" wrote in message

And for each 5gal purchase you got free glasses or plates.
I think I still have a few of those glasses in my cupboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:29:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I can't remember what brand. Free screw driver with 8 gal
fill up. I still have a couple of them.

Good for you. Enjoy them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the
inevitable gas wars of the late sixties I bought more than one tank
full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

I remember when gas was around 20c/gal (55+yrs ago) late fifties and
there was a gas war, the lowest being 12.9 cents. Your recollection
is hard to believe!

I remember our boy getting into our '67 truck for the first time

last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric
windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their
car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and
unlocking the door.

bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:51:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the

inevitable gas wars of the late sixties I bought more than one tank
full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

I remember when gas was around 20c/gal (55+yrs ago) late fifties and
there was a gas war, the lowest being 12.9 cents. Your recollection
is hard to believe!

In Fergus Ontario, back in 1969 or 1970, one gas station actually PAID
people to put gas in their tanks one day, to show how ridiculous the
gas war situation was.

And we are talking TINY Canadian cents for BIG Canadian Gallons,
too!!!!!

I remember our boy getting into our '67 truck for the first time

last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric
windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their
car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and
unlocking the door.

bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:51:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

[snip]

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their
car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and
unlocking the door.

bob

I knew someone who had a problem because she had gotten too used to
the electric car door locks. She had left a door open all night, so
the battery was low. She got in the next morning and closed the door.
When she turned the key, the doors locked but the car wouldn't start.
She stayed in that car for several hours because the battery was now
too weak to unlock the doors.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their
car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and
unlocking the door.

bob

People get into a tizzy during stressful times, and don't think clearly.
When my daughter was about four, I left her in the truck while I went in and
paid for the gas. Small rural place. Thirty years ago. Different times
and place. Left the keys in the truck. When I came back, she had playfully
locked the doors. I was in a panic, and all sorts of ideas from building a
slim Jim to busting out the window to being angry with her for locking the
doors. Then I thought, "Smile and have her UNLOCK the doors."

I said, "You know how to lock them. Can you unlock them?" She did, and
after that, I took my keys with me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the

inevitable gas wars of the late sixties I bought more than one tank
full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

I remember when gas was around 20c/gal (55+yrs ago) late fifties and
there was a gas war, the lowest being 12.9 cents. *Your recollection
is hard to believe!

I remember our boy getting into our '67 truck for the first time

last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric
windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their
car (dead fob battery). *A passerby helped by taking their keys and
unlocking the door.

bob

We had a 1949 Mercury convertible with power windows. I think they may
have been vacuum powered. They weren't terribly reliable.

The Toyota Rav4 that I use as a "land dinghy" for my sailboat only has
a keyhole in the driver's door.

My dad had a '49 Merc...you could change the AM radio station by a
foot-switch! Very cool!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've resolved not to ever buy such a mostrosity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The Toyota Rav4 that I use as a "land dinghy" for my
sailboat only has
a keyhole in the driver's door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:31:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've resolved not to ever buy such a mostrosity.

I guess that's an easy vow to make when you can't afford to buy one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the
answers!

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

2. What is a dial telephone?

Called a rotary dial phone otherwise.

3. Who were the Beatles?

British pop group of the 60's, 70's and 80's. I have
their Anthology CD set.

4. What is an 8-track tape player?

Plays an endless loop tape with 4 stereo tracks. Antiquated
with the introduction of the compact cassette and subsequently
the CD.

5. How many major wars occured in the 20th century?

Ranking most deaths on top with 1 million or greater deaths:

a. WW2
b. WW1
c. Korean
d. Chinese Civil War
e. Vietnam

6. What is inflation?

Depends on what you are inflating

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

8. What was the draft?

In what context?

9. How were things done before computers?

What things?

10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?

Used the USPS.

Answers provided by 17 year old Jeff The Drunk Jr.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/10 10:54 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the answers!

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac
discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it
some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player
had a setting for that.

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

9. How were things done before computers?

What things?

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The first
4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 01/28/10 10:54 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the answers!

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac
discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it
some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player
had a setting for that.

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax tubes. he also had
this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also subtract. he's
still using the old black dial phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2010 10:32 AM chaniarts spake thus:

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax tubes. he also had
this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also subtract. he's
still using the old black dial phones.

Amazing that the telephone network still supports pulse dialing, ain't it?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:15:54 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/28/2010 10:32 AM chaniarts spake thus:

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax tubes. he also had
this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also subtract. he's
still using the old black dial phones.

Amazing that the telephone network still supports pulse dialing, ain't it?

Yeah, my .line doesn't support TONE dialing yet!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/28/2010 10:32 AM chaniarts spake thus:

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax tubes. he also
had this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also
subtract. he's still using the old black dial phones.

Amazing that the telephone network still supports pulse dialing, ain't it?

Yes it is. A few years back a friend had a touch tone pay phone someone
gave him. He hung it up and wired it in our "club house" but couldn't
get it to make a call. It had a dial tone but would not work, even with
quarters. Holding the receiver in my hand, I tapped the hang up flap
two times quickly, short pause, 1 tap, short pause, 5 tapps, (215 area
code) then did the rest of my phone number. Everyone thought I was to
drunk and crazy but as soon as I heard my phone ring I handed him the
receiver and he heard my answering machine. The old dial phones are
doing the exact same thing when you hear it click, click, click. That
payphone on the wall then became a sort of drunk-O-meter. It's not easy
to always get the pulses down just right. Ya know, I wonder what it
will do on a public pay phone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bet the dial phone also has the four pin plug?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"chaniarts" wrote in
message ...

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax
tubes. he also had
this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also
subtract. he's
still using the old black dial phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players
play shellac
discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even
had with it
some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and
the player
had a setting for that.

CY: I've seen 78 RPM, but not 80.

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

CY: That goes back. Before I was driving, gas was about .33
a galon. I don't th ink there even was a minium wage back
then. You got paid about what you were worth.

9. How were things done before computers?

What things?

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The
first
4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.

CY: I remember my Dad bought a desk calculator from Heathkit
for $125. He might still have it. I bought a mechanical
adding machine one time at a garage sale. Brought it home in
my wagon. My parents were not ammused.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players
play shellac
discs.

One of my father's was labeled "acoustically recorded in 1908".

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:16:12 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

Ah, you kids. How about 19.9 at the Merit station in 1962 when I
started driving. The Esso station across the street was 21.9
Esso was part of Standard Oil, later Exxon.

9. How were things done before computers?

What things?

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The first
4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.

Perce

Mine was huge with a CRT that showed 4 lines. $400, a year later $300,
a couple more years later a TI was $79

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?
$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

Ah, you kids. How about 19.9 at the Merit station in 1962 when I
started driving. The Esso station across the street was 21.9
Esso was part of Standard Oil, later Exxon.

I was only 5 or 6 but for some reason I remember 35.9 cents/gallon.
That would be around 1966/1967. Many years later the garage only did
automatic transmissions and stopped selling gas. About 10 years ago I
took a car there for a tranny rebuild. Talked to the owner and asked if
he was the same guy as back in the 60's that used to give me a lollipop
every time my mom got gas. Yep, that was me he said. So when he gave
me the bill for the tranny (same exact quoted price), I asked him for a
lollipop but he didn't have any.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:43:56 -0500, Tony
wrote:

I was only 5 or 6 but for some reason I remember 35.9 cents/gallon.
That would be around 1966/1967. Many years later the garage only did
automatic transmissions and stopped selling gas. About 10 years ago I
took a car there for a tranny rebuild. Talked to the owner and asked if
he was the same guy as back in the 60's that used to give me a lollipop
every time my mom got gas. Yep, that was me he said. So when he gave
me the bill for the tranny (same exact quoted price), I asked him for a
lollipop but he didn't have any.

Hey, that's not right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:01:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Ah, you kids. How about 19.9 at the Merit station in 1962 when I
started driving. The Esso station across the street was 21.9
Esso was part of Standard Oil, later Exxon.

I remember hearing about Esso, but had little to do with it. In this
part of the country, we had Enco.

When we were going on trips (1960s and 1970s), my mother often was
saying "look for an Enco on the right". There were so many stations
there was always one on the right, and Enco was the only credit card
we had then (for keeping records of travel expenses).

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:01:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Ah, you kids. How about 19.9 at the Merit station in 1962 when I
started driving. The Esso station across the street was 21.9
Esso was part of Standard Oil, later Exxon.

I remember hearing about Esso, but had little to do with it. In this
part of the country, we had Enco.

When we were going on trips (1960s and 1970s), my mother often was
saying "look for an Enco on the right". There were so many stations
there was always one on the right, and Enco was the only credit card
we had then (for keeping records of travel expenses).

[snip]

Once, many years ago, before Google and Wiki, I was curious about the
family tree of all the ******* stepchildren of John D.'s original
Standard Oil, which was one of the reasons we (used to) have anti-trust
laws in this country. Pretty fascinating, really, and gives a good view
into early-20th-century views about power and government.

Now that 'enough' of all information is online, you can read in a hour
what took me an afternoon at the library to find.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 01/28/10 10:54 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the answers!

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac
discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it
some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player
had a setting for that.

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

$0.28 cents per gallon gasoline, Cleveland OH, early 1960s. Back
then they pumped your gas, polished your windshield, and checked your
oil. And BIG candybars or ice-cream bars for nickel. One cup of
milk, 2 cents at the school cafeteria, 3 cents for chocolate milk. The
bus was 15 cents.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On 01/28/10 10:54 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at
the answers!

1. What is a record player?

Plays vinyl audio albums.

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac
discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it
some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player
had a setting for that.

7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?

$1.00 / gal

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

$0.28 cents per gallon gasoline, Cleveland OH, early 1960s. Back
then they pumped your gas, polished your windshield, and checked your
oil

And your radiator and battery levels and if you asked, your auto
transmission fluid. They had special platic pitchers for adding
battery fluid, which I guess was often only water. I would think some
places it was distilled water, but I guess those were a lot fewer
places than I thought at the time. I mean I've never managed to put
non-distilled water in a battery, but I suspect after you've done it
once, it gets easier.

Since I'm posting, I remember when it was 20 cents normally and I
recall thinking it was a little lower than that sometimes. I'm born
in '47.

And BIG candybars or ice-cream bars for nickel. One cup of
milk, 2 cents at the school cafeteria, 3 cents for chocolate milk. The
bus was 15 cents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
-snip-

$0.28 cents per gallon gasoline, Cleveland OH, early 1960s. Back
then they pumped your gas, polished your windshield, and checked your
oil. And BIG candybars or ice-cream bars for nickel. One cup of
milk, 2 cents at the school cafeteria, 3 cents for chocolate milk. The
bus was 15 cents.

Don't forget that minimum wage was about 60cents/hr & a 13" Black &
White TV would set you back 2 weeks pay.

Ah, the good ole, bad ole days.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:22:03 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
-snip-

$0.28 cents per gallon gasoline, Cleveland OH, early 1960s. Back
then they pumped your gas, polished your windshield, and checked your
oil. And BIG candybars or ice-cream bars for nickel. One cup of
milk, 2 cents at the school cafeteria, 3 cents for chocolate milk. The
bus was 15 cents.

Don't forget that minimum wage was about 60cents/hr & a 13" Black &
White TV would set you back 2 weeks pay.

Ah, the good ole, bad ole days.

Jim

A 5 lb. bag of sugar cost nearly 5 dollars (sugar embargo?).

RC Cola and a Moon Pie was ten cents.

Gas between .25 and .32 cent. Kerosene might have been .16 cent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't forget that minimum wage was about 60cents/hr & a 13" Black &
White TV would set you back 2 weeks pay.

Ah, the good ole, bad ole days.

Jim

We married in 1966. Bought a 19" B & W portable TV for $169 but color
was priced out of my range. I was making about $110 a week at the
time and the mortgage was $84. Gas bill averaged $14 a month,
electric about half of that.