Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine Recommendations

I promised the wife a new washing mchine. She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John
Posted to alt.home.repair

LOTS LUCK YOU GONE NEEDED

I promised the wife a new washing mchine. She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John
Posted to alt.home.repair

Consumers Report top-rated a Fridgidaire, much cheaper than virtually all the others.
In the Dryer thread below, Josh posted a link to 3.5 cu ft Frigidaire for $492, sold by sears.

I'll check later to see if it's about the same model. For sure it's not steam, tho, and I wonder how practical that really is. I haven't searched thoroughly, but steam seems to come in the $1500 models.
F'sure it's just sumpn else to break, and steam is an inherently difficult "fluid" to handle mechanically, with reliability.

--
EA

--

I promised the wife a new washing mchine. She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 6:14*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
[...]

What clothes need steam drying? Unless you are going to a state
dinner at the White House, no one anymore gives a damn about slightly
wrinkled clothes as long as they are clean-looking and don't smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 3:55*pm, "John" wrote:
I promised the wife a new washing mchine. *She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. *She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; *also what makes to totally avoid. *All your input would be very much appreciated. *Thanks John

I just finished shopping for washer/dryer, and I will be very
surprised if you find a steam model for $900. I chose the LG
WM0642HW. It does have a sanitizing cycle (has its own water heater),
but no steam. Front loader, 4.0 cft, high efficiency, thrifty enough
to qualify for the Energy Star rebate offered by my utility company.
I got it at HD for $649, including delivery, setup, and haul-away of
the old machine. If you shop HD, keep a close eye on prices. Mine
was listed at $899. A few days later, it went to $699; I bought at
that point. A few days later, it went to $649; I had them refund the
difference. A few days later, it was $829. It's currently listed at
$628.20 insert curse word here. Also, check their prices online; I
found that the bricks and mortar HDs often did not have the correct
price posted on the machines.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jan 28, 10:50*am, Jo Ann wrote:
On Jan 27, 3:55*pm, "John" wrote:

[...]

I've a maytag. 3 kids and 17 years later I've had no issues / no
repairs. It owes me nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 27, 3:55*pm, "John" wrote:
I promised the wife a new washing mchine. *She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. *She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; *also what makes to totally avoid. *All your input would be very much appreciated. *Thanks John

Be sure to get one in stainless steel with matching dryer. With a
front loader you could even put a small granite counter top on the
pair. How stylish! Your neighbors will be so envious. Of course you
know your $900 budget only covers the down payment, right? Do what's
right and spend every penny you can. Your help for the economy will be
significant.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will never go back to a top loader! They take way too long and way too
much water. They do not get the close as clean either.

I don't like on my GE where I have to add water with the fabric
softener though.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:50:12 -0800 (PST), Jo Ann
wrote:

On Jan 27, 3:55*pm, "John" wrote:
[...]

If you really want to save money, recycle, and protect the
environment, buy a used washer. I bought a washer for $50, then sold
it for $50 when I moved after 8 years of use. You gotta do what you
gotta do when money is not there. Wouldn't think steaming clothes
would make much of a difference, else we would see more of this
feature. Steam is great for pressing clothes, uses a lot of energy
though.