Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general

Default Washing machine recommendations

Update to my thread on

uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.genera l,scot.general

Re Bosch washing machines. See here for more info

http://www.siliconglen.com/news/2006...-by-bosch.html

Ann an sgriobhainn , sgriobh Jay

Don't touch ariston either, when my new one was faulty the repair man said
hes sees far more and far newer ariston machines than anything else,
invested in a zanussi jet stream, and 6 weeks later I am happy...

I looked up the August 2000 and May 2001 copies of Which? in the
Corstorphine library today, the first article is a big review on washing
machines and later in the magazine it talks about reliability. The
second article is a quick update on some new brands.

The reliable brands are as follows
Miele (1)
Bosch, Siemens (joint 2nd)
AEG 4th.

Less reliable brands include Whirlpool, Creda, Indesit, Hotpoint.

Recommended in the August 2000 issue is
Bosch Maxx WFL 2450 GB
This is still recommended as a best buy in the May 2001 issue. Best
price I've got for from a major dealer is a special internet/telephone
deal with Comet for £399. Shop price £30 more.

Recommended in the May 2001 issue is
AEG 72630 which is also £400. Looks like a really good machine and gets
a writeup for being reliable, quiet and easy to use.

I think I'll go for the Bosch though as it has greater reliability,
lower running costs, a bigger load capacity(6Kg) and a hot fill rather
than cold fill only. The filter looks easier to clean as well. The
normal retail price seems to be around £430 (Comet, Currys, John Lewis).
John Lewis initially quoted £450 but when I pointed out the Comet and
Currys prices, they dropped theirs to the same level. However, I doubt
John Lewis will match a telephone only deal of £399 or even the price at
garlandelectronics.com of £385.

Once you know exactly the model number it's quite easy to get prices out
of google!

thanks for the replies

Craig
--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general

When we bought a new machine four years ago I found that as with many other
electrical goods the model numbers for a machine varied from store to store.
This is so that Comet etc can say that you are not comparing like with like
on prices. We bought a cheap Hoover washing machine from Comet. Long posting
at the time about machine not turning up and then being told that it was out
of production (an untruth confirmed by Hoover) and being offered alternative
makes at a higher price before eventually getting the one we ordered after
about three months). We paid with a Nationwide credit card to get an extra
free years warranty. Hoover actually give a five year warranty on parts but
not labour.
Derek.
"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general
Ian Ian is offline

"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message
The reliable brands are as follows
Miele (1)
Bosch, Siemens (joint 2nd)
AEG 4th.

Buy Bosch or Siemens and you won't go far wrong, avoid Indesit at all
costs, their durability / reliability is **** IMHO!

--
Ian

Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general

"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message

The reliable brands are as follows
Miele (1)
Bosch, Siemens (joint 2nd)
AEG 4th.

Less reliable brands include Whirlpool, Creda, Indesit, Hotpoint.

I would never buy anything other than AEG now. I own two of them (different
houses) and have never had a problem in 6 years. Superb!

I inherited an Indesit which was still under warranty and it broke down
within weeks. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

AEG 6 : 0 Indesit

lol

AEGs aren't the cheapest but unless your cashflow is really tight washing
machines are a thing it's worth shelling out proper for imho...

xiv

Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general

In message , Ian
writes

"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message
The reliable brands are as follows
Miele (1)
Bosch, Siemens (joint 2nd)
AEG 4th.

Buy Bosch or Siemens and you won't go far wrong, avoid Indesit at all
costs, their durability / reliability is **** IMHO!

Bosch - not my experience
http://www.siliconglen.com/news/2006...-by-bosch.html

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.
Scottish blog, FAQ, weddings, website design, stop spam and more!

Posted to uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.house,ed.general,scot.general

"louisxiv" wrote in message

"Craig Cockburn" wrote in message

The reliable brands are as follows
Miele (1)
Bosch, Siemens (joint 2nd)
AEG 4th.

Less reliable brands include Whirlpool, Creda, Indesit, Hotpoint.

I would never buy anything other than AEG now. I own two of them
(different houses) and have never had a problem in 6 years. Superb!

I inherited an Indesit which was still under warranty and it broke down
within weeks. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

AEG 6 : 0 Indesit

lol

AEGs aren't the cheapest but unless your cashflow is really tight washing
machines are a thing it's worth shelling out proper for imho...

IIRC AEG is the upmarket brand of Electrolux who also are Zanussi and
Frigidaire. They share a lot of parts, and are often the same as their
cheaper brands but with nicer trim. Indesit are the same company as Hotpoint
and Ariston.

I've had lots of Bosch stuff and its been very reliable. I bought a returned
Siemens Fridge freezer in the JLewis sale and it broke down regularly until
Siemens replaced it with a new one - no problems since (2.5 years). So a lot
depends on how well its been treated prior to and during delivery.

Washing machine drain [email protected] UK diy 15 June 2nd 06 10:28 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:34 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM