Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine recommendations please

Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations
do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham.
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 15:36

Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were
necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what
recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?

Miele if you want to last by itself and do its job exceedingly well (I have
a washing machine).

Bosch Logixx if you still want it to work very well and want easy access to
parts diagrams and spare parts if you do need to fix it (have dishwasher -
have done repairs and bought parts)

HTH

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Graham.
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 15:36

Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were
necessary.

Bosch Logixx if you still want it to work very well

....unless you have cats.

We had an engineer out to look at ours twice under warranty as it was
misbehaving - resetting itself, stopping and starting etc - but the guy
couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually we cottoned on that our two
bloody cats were jumping up on to the utility room worktop and pressing
the Logixx's touch-sentsitive buttons on the way up.

We now keep an old 3'-square panel of contiboard on top of the machine,
ie within the small gap below the worktop; and pull this out a few
inches each time we use the machine, to protect the 'operating panel'.

Haven't had any trouble since! And it's an excellent machine BTW.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 16:32

...unless you have cats.

We had an engineer out to look at ours twice under warranty as it was
misbehaving - resetting itself, stopping and starting etc - but the guy
couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually we cottoned on that our two
bloody cats were jumping up on to the utility room worktop and pressing
the Logixx's touch-sentsitive buttons on the way up.

That's a good one!

Haven't had that issue - my dishwasher has actual buttons which are shielded
when the door's closed. Don't have cats. Do have sprogs. Same issues...

That's one little feature I do like about the Miele. It's got a big knob on
the front. It's a well known fact that

male + knob = random fiddling when no one's looking

The miele locks off the knob after about 5 (or 10) minutes. Even better, it
then flashes an LED to let you know matey's been fiddling and carries on
with the original programme.

Simple feature, few dozen lines of code I expect in the firmware, but
priceless.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Lobster
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 16:32

...unless you have cats.

We had an engineer out to look at ours twice under warranty as it was
misbehaving - resetting itself, stopping and starting etc - but the guy
couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually we cottoned on that our two
bloody cats were jumping up on to the utility room worktop and pressing
the Logixx's touch-sentsitive buttons on the way up.

That's a good one!

Haven't had that issue - my dishwasher has actual buttons which are shielded
when the door's closed. Don't have cats. Do have sprogs. Same issues...

That's one little feature I do like about the Miele. It's got a big knob on
the front. It's a well known fact that

male + knob = random fiddling when no one's looking

Yes but what's that got to do with the switches on the front of washing
machines?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 18:51

Tim W wrote:
[...]

2 hours 19 minutes. Bit slow... Come on chaps ;-

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Miele.

Mine came with a free, manufacturer's 10 year warranty - i.e you phone
the Miele service centre, and the Miele bloke in the Miele van comes
round your gaff and fixes it - and no bill.

Internal construction is like the engine bay on a quality car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Yes, I went for that too. £800, but not having to think about it for
10 years convinced me. Considerably quieter than the old one too,
which is important to me

Me too. Had it about 2 years now. Probably does 10-15 washes a week. Very,
very quiet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:36:54 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations
do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?

Have a look at the LG Direct Drive ones.
Only a few moving parts and a 10 year guarantee on the motor.

We have had one for two months now and it is a joy to use.
Particularly as it is almost silent in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 3:36*pm, "Graham." wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations
do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?

If you've got the money, miele. If not, bosch. ISE are overly
expensive and not time proven, but might prove very good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 17:52

On Dec 13, 3:36 pm, "Graham." wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years
each, with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs
that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what
recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to
avoid?

If you've got the money, miele. If not, bosch. ISE are overly
expensive and not time proven, but might prove very good.

I'll just mention again: if Bosch, stick with the Logixx. Classix and Excell
are the poor man's Bosch and less typical of the standards usually
associated with German engineering (neither are built in Germany - Logixx
are, or at least were last time I checked).

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 13 December 2009 18:11

Graham. wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years
each, with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs
that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what
recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to
avoid?

Miele. £550 upwards

I noticed when researching my washing machine that Miele's bottom of the
range stuff is (was) fairly comparable in features with Bosch's high end so
the price difference isn't as wild as might be expected. And the Miele is
still better built.

Of course, you'd need a remortgage to get Miele's top end stuff!

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years
each, with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs
that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what
recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to
avoid?

Miele. £550 upwards

I noticed when researching my washing machine that Miele's bottom of the
range stuff is (was) fairly comparable in features with Bosch's high end so
the price difference isn't as wild as might be expected. And the Miele is
still better built.

Of course, you'd need a remortgage to get Miele's top end stuff!

Still worth it IMHO.

The dishwasher is ****ing water out of its base. Miele indicated there
as well I think, too.

The amount of wasted TIME this crap white goods causes is immense.

It reminds me of British Leyland when VW, BMW and Mercedes arrived.
What? A car that doesn't break down? that does 150,000 miles without new
bearings? Unthinkable!

Its the cultural difference, Britain is run by bull**** artists and bean
counters, so 'build cheap..., and pretend' is the natural way to go.

Angela Merkel has IIRC an engineering degree 'build right, and charge
what it costs'.

When you buy a product, you are spending money on two sorts of people.,
those that built and designed it, and those who sell and market it. Make
sure you spend on the former, rather than the latter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Angela Merkel has IIRC an engineering degree 'build right, and charge
what it costs'.

physics
--
djc @work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:00:11 +0000, djc wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Angela Merkel has IIRC an engineering degree 'build right, and charge
what it costs'.

physics

Physics is: spend any amount of money, produce something that is
completely useless then claim that the money was well spent because it
was all "good science".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go to John Lewis
- Check if the Siemens has 5yr warranty for about £488
- Save £312 over a Miele

The Miele are good, but best when the slightly older "Prestige" with
5yr was about £489-549, it seems better built on controls and drum
than the new (and often cheaper) "designer-front" model. Like the
older Miele cleaners were tougher in feel than the latest designer
versions (which tend to be quieter I will admit).

Any of the top brand washers have one short-coming - they are about
300lb in weight so beware (cold fill too, so prepare accordingly).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 12:19*am, "js.b1" wrote:
Go to John Lewis
- Check if the Siemens has 5yr warranty for about £488
- Save £312 over a Miele

That was the same conclusion I came to 18 months ago when looking for
a new washing machine and a tumble dryer. Couldn't really afford
Miele for both, but after doing a fair amount of research the Siemens
seemed like a good compromise. IIRC it was the only one with a 5 year
warranty at the time.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:47:08 -0800 (PST), Michael D
wrote:

On Dec 14, 12:19*am, "js.b1" wrote:
Go to John Lewis
- Check if the Siemens has 5yr warranty for about £488
- Save £312 over a Miele

That was the same conclusion I came to 18 months ago when looking for
a new washing machine and a tumble dryer. Couldn't really afford
Miele for both, but after doing a fair amount of research the Siemens
seemed like a good compromise. IIRC it was the only one with a 5 year
warranty at the time.

Check the small print on the warranty. Many are not worth the paper
they're (not) printed on.

You may find the 5 year warranty only covers the parts and not labour.
You may find that it only covers some of the parts and not all.
You may find that does not apply if they think it's not worth
repairing.
etc.......
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec, 15:36, "Graham." wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations
do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

A Miele or a Bosch Logixx.

Don't bother with the Bosch Clasixx and Excell stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:18:33 -0800 (PST), David
wrote:

On 13 Dec, 15:36, "Graham." wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years each,
with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what recommendations
do the group have as to what to look at and what to avoid?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

A Miele or a Bosch Logixx.

Don't bother with the Bosch Clasixx and Excell stuff.

What's wrong with the Exxcel? AFAIK the only difference is in the
features.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark
wibbled on Tuesday 15 December 2009 09:25

wrote:

On 13 Dec, 15:36, "Graham." wrote:
Washing machine recommendations please
This will be my third machine, the previous two have lasted 15 years
each, with zero engineers costs as I have been able to DIY all repairs
that were necessary.

So with the above in mind as my expectation for the new one, what
recommendations do the group have as to what to look at and what to
avoid? --
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

A Miele or a Bosch Logixx.

Don't bother with the Bosch Clasixx and Excell stuff.

What's wrong with the Exxcel? AFAIK the only difference is in the
features.

Cheap end of the range, not made in Germany (Only the Logixx is AFAIK) and
built much more to a price. Bosch Green vs Bosch Blue.