Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The things ya see in houses ...

.... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:
.... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

They were probably thinking, there's no convenient means of venting to the
outdoors, so we'll install one of those ventilators with an internal charcoal
filter, the type that is made specifically for use in places where there's no
convenient means of venting to the outdoors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2010 8:19 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

In article , David
Nebenzahl wrote:

.... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a
range/oven combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but
... not vented. What were they thinking?

They were probably thinking, there's no convenient means of venting
to the outdoors, so we'll install one of those ventilators with an
internal charcoal filter, the type that is made specifically for use
in places where there's no convenient means of venting to the
outdoors.

They may have *thought* that, but I can assure you that thought never
materialized: no charcoal inside the vent, just a small fan.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

Worse yet; one vented into the attic spewing grease all over
everything & waiting to become an accelerant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:35*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented..
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

Worse yet; one vented into the attic spewing grease all over
everything & waiting to become an accelerant.

That one I haven't had the misfortune to see yet. But the internal
recirculators are just about useless in my experience. THey just blow
things around and dilute the smells/odors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment
buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to
vent inside. Lighting is the main reason they sell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 3:59*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented..
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment
buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to
vent inside. Lighting is the main reason they sell.

"Lighting is the main reason they sell"

I thought the main reason was to hold up the microwave. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2010 12:59 PM ransley spake thus:

On Jan 21, 10:07 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment
buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to
vent inside.

This one was vented *nowhere*. Whatever little air actually got sucked
inside the thing would just spin around a little bit.

Lighting is the main reason they sell.

No lights in this one: it was between the top oven and some cabinets
just below the ceiling, so no place for a light.

But hey, thanks for playing.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 10:14*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/21/2010 12:59 PM ransley spake thus:

On Jan 21, 10:07 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

You really thought all range hoods were vented outside, old apartment
buildings and places without ductwork are why units have the option to
vent inside.

This one was vented *nowhere*. Whatever little air actually got sucked
inside the thing would just spin around a little bit.

Lighting is the main reason they sell.

No lights in this one: it was between the top oven and some cabinets
just below the ceiling, so no place for a light.

Now I'm really confused. First you said it was a kitchen ventilator
installed above a range/oven combo. That made sense. Those are
common and are a small range hood type device. Some are vented
outside and some use a filter and vent back inside. But, how the
hell can you have a kitchen ventilator installed between the top oven
and cabinets?

But hey, thanks for playing.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

a lot of range hoods just filter and vent back into the room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 6:27*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented..
What were they thinking?

a lot of range hoods just filter and vent back into the room.

They may be safer than the ones that vent outside. Seems like no one
ever cleans the ones that vent outside. The flue pipe gets filled with
gunk.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

a lot of range hoods just filter and vent back into the room.

Bought a house about a year and a half ago with one of those. Never use the
"vent" but the light over the stove works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

By international code, unprotected combustibles can't be less
than 30" above the stove top. So they put the metal hood over
the stove, and as an afterthought they put in a light, and a fan
and filter to make the owner think it's really gonna do something.

... David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

a lot of range hoods just filter and vent back into the room.

Bought a house about a year and a half ago with one of those. Never use the
"vent" but the light over the stove works fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael B" wrote in message
By international code, unprotected combustibles can't be less
than 30" above the stove top. So they put the metal hood over
the stove, and as an afterthought they put in a light, and a fan
and filter to make the owner think it's really gonna do something.

International code ? Unprotected combustables ? WTF are you smoking ? Stop
bogarding it and pass it over hear....LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same call, but it was the cold air return register
in the living room. Someone didn't like it, so they boarded
it over.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DT" wrote in message

I may have run across the same handyman. A friend moved into
a house a few
years back. Come winter time, they asked me to look over the
furnace as it
only ran a minute or so at a time. It was a new 80% furnace
and who ever
installed it never cut out the side panel for the air
return! It had no
air flow except for what leaked and the over temp shut it
down pretty
quickly each time.

It was an old style open return sytem, no return ductwork. I
cut it out
and installed a filter housing and it ran fine.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

Hi,
Nothing wrong with it. They contain a filter(like fresh charcoal filter)
to circulate air thru. Better than nothing. Who said it must be vented
outside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/2010 7:58 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

Hi,
Nothing wrong with it. They contain a filter(like fresh charcoal filter)
to circulate air thru. Better than nothing. Who said it must be vented
outside?

Hi,
You're not reading, or not comprehending. THERE WAS NO CHARCOAL INSIDE
THIS UNIT! Just a fan. Got it?

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2010 12:46 PM ransley spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

Hi,
Nothing wrong with it. They contain a filter(like fresh charcoal filter)
to circulate air thru. Better than nothing. Who said it must be vented
outside?

Hi,
You're not reading, or not comprehending. THERE WAS NO CHARCOAL INSIDE
THIS UNIT! Just a fan. Got it?

No, post a photo.

You're joking, right?

Look, the thing is as simple as can be. I have it sitting in the back of
my work truck, waiting to be recycled.

It's a metal box the width and depth of the range and about 3" high. In
the front is a door that swings up lengthwise to open the vent in front,
which pushes the power switch to turn on the fan. Fan is a small plastic
jobbie on a shaded-pole motor. The thing sucks in air in the front, and
discharges it out a back opening into a vent. Got it?

Except that the knock-out hole in the back was never removed, because
there was no vent attached. (It was simply installed against the
unfinished drywall behind the range, with a hole cut out for the power
cable.) From the looks of it the unit was never used much anyway;
there's a little grease on the fan blades, but not much. (There's one of
those metal mesh filters behind the front opening that probably absorbed
the bulk of the grease.) The current homeowner never used it, didn't
even know about it.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum
screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease.
And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not
cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2010 7:59 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum
screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease.
And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not
cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it,
but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never
intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening,
still intact.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not
vented. What were they thinking?

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum
screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease.
And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not
cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it,
but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never
intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening,
still intact.

I've seen the same sort of insanity or slacker work.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2010 11:21 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not
vented. What were they thinking?

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum
screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease.
And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not
cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it,
but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never
intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening,
still intact.

I've seen the same sort of insanity or slacker work.

Check out the links Bill posted in the "Local Building Codes" thread
down yonder. Just some amazing ****.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not
vented. What were they thinking?

Did it have or was it designed to hold a multi layered expanded aluminum
screen? The recirculating types have the screen for collecting grease.
And dust, of course, sticks to the grease buildup. If the filter is not
cleaned regularly, the whole purpose of the hood is defeated.

Yes, there was such a screen when you opened the door that operates it,
but I'm telling you this was *not* a recirculating unit. Was never
intended to be. There was a knockout on the back for the duct opening,
still intact.

I've seen the same sort of insanity or slacker work.

TDD

The microwaves are designed to be that way. One reason I would never own an
above the stove microwave. It takes the air in, collects the grease, then
blows it right back in your face. Eventually, all the grease either catches
fire, or collects to a point that it causes microwave failure. Or the
microwave dies from other reasons, and when you take it down, you see the
filth right beyond your fingertips. A really great design.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

House came with the over-stove micro. I never use the fan. Only use the
stove when company visits. Not even sure where my pots and pans are at
the moment. I either eat salads or stuff I can nuke. (No, nothing in
cardboard boxes- sandwiches, soups, pasta-ish glop made from cans+added
veggies, etc.) Mine is actually vented to outside, though.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Our donated over the range microwave with the built in hood we have here
at the crotchety old fart's lair is vented to the outside.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I would never use such a recirculator fan wether it was a range or
an above stove microwave.

I would keep shopping if the house I was inspecting didn't have a
true exhaust, or the ability to install one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:07*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven
combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented.
What were they thinking?

- a Usenet "apology"

In my attic....a fan in a gray metal housing attached to the inside of
the roof, but with no hole to vent to the outside. Perhaps I might
want to circulate the air inside my attic?

Mike