Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating dryer duct?

I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite
cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when
the dryer is not in use.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on
the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been
replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).

So, 2 questions:
1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product?
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Interestingly, the intake/exhaust pipes on our high efficiency furnaces
don't seem to "radiate" as much cold despite also being unlouvered --
probably because they are PVC rather than metal and also smaller diameter.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 14, 11:56*am, blueman wrote:
I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite
cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when
the dryer is not in use.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on
the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been
replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).

So, 2 questions:
1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product?

Maybe, but that's not as important as 2)

2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
* *make a significant
*difference (and be advisable)?

Yes, if you do the following:
Louvers are to keep out the weather. In addition your vent must have a
self closing flap such as are used on range hoods. Further, you will
gain something by insulating the metal panel in the window. Do all
that and you likely save a few $$.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:

-snip-
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...95676& sr=8-1

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 2:01*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
blueman wrote:

-snip-

2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
* make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! * *I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficient-Dryer-Saves-Energy-Costs/dp/B00...

Jim

How do you clean them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:28:19 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On Jan 14, 2:01*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
blueman wrote:

-snip-

2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
* make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! * *I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficient-Dryer-Saves-Energy-Costs/dp/B00...

Jim

How do you clean them?

The lid is hinged & you can get to the guts.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite
cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when
the dryer is not in use.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on
the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been
replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).

So, 2 questions:
1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product?
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Interestingly, the intake/exhaust pipes on our high efficiency furnaces
don't seem to "radiate" as much cold despite also being unlouvered --
probably because they are PVC rather than metal and also smaller diameter.

Without a doubt add a louvered exhaust or other kind of back flow preventer.

Insulating the pipe will mean the the pipe will get much warmer when the
dryer is running. This is good. It will tend to keep the pipe/duct
void of condensation and the lint won't stick to it as easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony writes:

blueman wrote:
[...]

Any suggestions on type of insulation? (safe, effective, professional
looking)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht writes:
blueman wrote:

-snip-
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...95676& sr=8-1

Jim

Looks like a neat contraption... but my vent is through a basement
window pane (actually the window is 3x1 and one of the panes has been
replaced with sheet metal containing an integrated vent).

Not sure how/if this would be installed in a window without some
customization...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:56:38 -0500, blueman wrote:

I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite
cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when
the dryer is not in use.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on
the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been
replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).

So, 2 questions:
1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product?

If needed you can use flex duct casing or fiberglass. Mine was very
cold, but temperatures are now 10-20 warmer.

2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

You might want to try another exterior dryer vent. The flaps will
slow down the cold air movement, yet light enough to allow easy
airflow.

Interestingly, the intake/exhaust pipes on our high efficiency furnaces
don't seem to "radiate" as much cold despite also being unlouvered --
probably because they are PVC rather than metal and also smaller diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
blueman wrote:

-snip-
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficien...95676& sr=8-1

Jim

I also using one of these. Works great and easy to clean IF needed. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
I noticed that our exposed sheet metal basement dryer duct gets quite
cold here in the frigid North -- acting like a "reverse" radiator when
the dryer is not in use.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that their is no louver on
the exterior penetration (it goes through a window pane that has been
replaced with a sheet metal panel with integrated, un-louvered hood).

So, 2 questions:
1. Should the dryer duct be insulated and if so with what product?
2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely
to make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Interestingly, the intake/exhaust pipes on our high efficiency
furnaces don't seem to "radiate" as much cold despite also being
unlouvered -- probably because they are PVC rather than metal and
also smaller diameter.

You could just leave it alone. Without a flap, eventually some critter will
make a nest in the duct, effectively sealing it against further air
intrusion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 1:01*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
blueman wrote:

-snip-

2. Would replacing the penetration with something louvered be likely to
* make a significant
difference (and be advisable)?

Yes! * *I put one of these on a few years ago and am impressed with
how well they work-http://www.amazon.com/Super-Efficient-Dryer-Saves-Energy-Costs/dp/B00...

Jim

Thats what I have, I know of no other system like it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman wrote:
Tony writes:

blueman wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure what to suggest, I'd have to scan the insulation isle at
the depot and lowes. I'm wondering if it would do good inside an
insulated flexible AC/Heating duct, although I doubt it's code. You
could probably put it inside 6" duct.

Cleaning dryer duct Terry Cano Home Repair 6 September 13th 08 12:30 AM
Insulating around dryer duct? HerHusband Home Repair 1 September 9th 07 05:45 PM
Dryer Duct Outlet TheScullster UK diy 7 May 15th 06 06:26 PM
Duct For A Gas Dryer ? Robert11 Home Repair 8 March 21st 05 06:00 AM
dryer duct installation Kevin Home Ownership 0 May 28th 04 03:13 PM