Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Dryer Duct Outlet

Hi all

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative position?
Obviously it will be necessary for me to core drill a hole for the vent and
I was wondering whether the position of the outlet varied from machine to
machine.
Bad news if you have to core drill a different outlet every time you get a
new dryer - make the wall like swiss cheese!
There wouldn't appear to be room to make up any offset with flexi duct.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:32:42 +0100, TheScullster wrote
(in article ):

Hi all

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative position?
Obviously it will be necessary for me to core drill a hole for the vent and
I was wondering whether the position of the outlet varied from machine to
machine.
Bad news if you have to core drill a different outlet every time you get a
new dryer - make the wall like swiss cheese!
There wouldn't appear to be room to make up any offset with flexi duct.

TIA

Phil

Buy a Miele

This has three advantages

- Excellent machines and customer service

- 15-20 year lifetime and 5 or 10 year warranty

- Outlets on sides and rear

Problem solved

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Hewitt

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative
position?
Obviously it will be necessary for me to core drill a hole for the vent
and I was wondering whether the position of the outlet varied from machine
to machine.
Bad news if you have to core drill a different outlet every time you get a
new dryer - make the wall like swiss cheese!
There wouldn't appear to be room to make up any offset with flexi duct.

Dont' think so. Of the two dryers I've had they have both been vented in a
different place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Problem solved

The other solution is a condensor drier.

They are often slated for being less efficient, but I'm not sure that's
entirely fair. True, they use more kWh per load, but if like us you only
use them on cold days when the heating's probably on anyway you save the
heat going out of the house. Vented driers always throw most of the heat
away, condensor driers always keep very nearly all the heat in the
house.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:23:28 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Problem solved

The other solution is a condensor drier.

They are often slated for being less efficient, but I'm not sure that's
entirely fair. True, they use more kWh per load, but if like us you only
use them on cold days when the heating's probably on anyway you save the
heat going out of the house. Vented driers always throw most of the heat
away, condensor driers always keep very nearly all the heat in the
house.

They probably dry at a lower temerature or at least have that option
so less damage to clothes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

TheScullster wrote:

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative position?
Obviously it will be necessary for me to core drill a hole for the vent and

You can do it much easier (and cheaper) than that.

If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall
fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on
the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in
section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on
the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then
chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster,
the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Problem solved

The other solution is a condensor drier.

They are often slated for being less efficient, but I'm not sure that's
entirely fair. True, they use more kWh per load, but if like us you only
use them on cold days when the heating's probably on anyway you save the
heat going out of the house. Vented driers always throw most of the heat
away, condensor driers always keep very nearly all the heat in the
house.

--
Skipweasel

And, provide a source of condensate (no limescale) water that's ideal for
steam irons, plants, car wind-screen washers etc. etc.

We bought one to replace the fifteen-year old (knackered) drier: - I wish
we'd done it years ago!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Something that has been puzzling me about new kitchen design:

Do all dryers have the duct outlet at the same height and relative
position?

Condenser dryers don't have a duct at all.

Colin Bignell