Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

Default Digital TV

A Watcher wrote:
mm wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:56:01 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

"Raymond Feist" wrote in message

Robert A. Heinlein from Napoleon's, "Never attribute to malice what can
be satisfactorily explained by incompetence."
That's better, I knew the version I had seen had "incompetence" in
there.

1) Is there anything that happens today which doesn't instantly
generate a conspiracy theory to explain it?

2) How does anyone find enough programming worthwhile enough to care
about reception quality? If I were only able to watch a few hours of
TV a week that would probably be fine, just so long as This Old House
and a couple of other shows were on the list. Most of the rest lives
up to the old "vast wasteland" description the chairman of the FCC
used so appropriately in 1961.

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.

It was a bit more intelligent and polite then. We also were not so
particular.

Hi,
With political correctness, everything started going for the worse.
I watch TV for some games or news. Barely an hour a day. I'd rather
read good books.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

On 1/15/2010 22:33, mm wrote:

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.

Yeah, stuff like the Flintstones doing cigarette commercials.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:33:53 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:53:28 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:07:13 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

The biggest expense was not the switch to digital, but the move
to a new frequency. TV transmitters are built to operate on a single
frequency. To switch channels, you have to replace it.

That doesn't sound right, especially if the change in frequency as
small. Shouldn't it be something like the crystals used in old CB
radios?

Next time you're running a 4 watt tv station, that might be valid.

If you don't actually know why equipment needs to be replaced, you
could say so. Maybe you just don't want to admit not knowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

In article , Tony Hwang
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

TV was all about "political correctness" in 1961. It's just that the
people you agree with were deciding what was and wasn't PC.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:07:18 -0500, Tony

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I prefer the really old shows. RTN is showing some. its carried
on a OTA sub channel here

I watch that a lot too. It's channel 7.3 from Washington DC.

Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files.

I didn't see Daniel Boone when I was little (maybe I was in college
then.) and the Rifleman, Seahunt, Leave it to Beaver, Wagon Train...

I also like RTN. I wish they would schedule Alfred Hitchcock a little
earlier than midnight.

Once in a while a commercial makes reference to a news channel 8, but
it doesn't say where that is. The stories they promote sound
interesting.

Do you see the commercial? Do you know where it is?

P&M&M

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

TV was all about "political correctness" in 1961. It's just that the
people you agree with were deciding what was and wasn't PC.

TV went to Hell when Archie Bunker hit the airwaves :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

In article ,
mm wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:07:18 -0500, Tony

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I prefer the really old shows. RTN is showing some. its carried
on a OTA sub channel here

I watch that a lot too. It's channel 7.3 from Washington DC.

Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files.

I didn't see Daniel Boone when I was little (maybe I was in college
then.) and the Rifleman, Seahunt, Leave it to Beaver, Wagon Train...

I also like RTN. I wish they would schedule Alfred Hitchcock a little
earlier than midnight.

Once in a while a commercial makes reference to a news channel 8, but
it doesn't say where that is. The stories they promote sound
interesting.

Do you see the commercial? Do you know where it is?

RTN (Retro Television Network) started about 4 1/2 years back in Little
Rock, Ak. They're over 100 affiliates by now, many of them on digital
sub-carriers offered by independent stations (channel 4.1, 6.2, etc.) a
fair number of them also MyTV affiliates. Not all markets have them,
and if you're on DirecTV or Dish, no joy.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

On Jan 16, 11:01�pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:07:18 -0500, Tony

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I prefer the really old shows. RTN is showing some. its carried
on a OTA sub channel here

I watch that a lot too. �It's channel 7.3 from Washington DC.

Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files.

I didn't see Daniel Boone when I was little (maybe I was in college
then.) �and the Rifleman, Seahunt, Leave it to Beaver, Wagon Train...

I also like RTN. �I wish they would schedule Alfred Hitchcock a little
earlier than midnight.

Once in a while a commercial makes reference to a news channel 8, but
it doesn't say where that is. �The stories they promote sound
interesting.

Do you see the commercial? �Do you know where it is?

P&M&M

Being in pittsburgh I dont see your ommercials.

try searching TVFOOL, it will list all the stations and planned
stations in your area
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

Stifle, Edith! Stifle!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Stone" wrote in message

TV was all about "political correctness" in 1961. It's
just that the
people you agree with were deciding what was and wasn't
PC.

TV went to Hell when Archie Bunker hit the airwaves :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

Lot's of old TV can be watch anytime you wish with Netflix watch instantly
streaming service -- many choice for box to receive the stream and display
including bluray players, tivo's. game console (not so nice as others), PC's

the ROKU box designed for NEtflix use works great.

watch old shows and many moview whenever you want

I like DirecTV, but dumped most premium services like HBO to use netflix..
still keeping starz encore for western channel and some others, very
possible the a service like netflix would replace that with a bit more
content.. directv for me is mostly history channel discovery, mgmhd, tnt tcm
etc.. not to much into sports

world's a changing -- nearly about to dump my landline service even though
I'm using a service from my cable / internet provider .

using a device call HDHOMERUN that let's me pull in most channel in the
DC/N. VA area and stream to network can record with PC, but have a TivoHD a
primary box for OTA viewing

"mm" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:07:18 -0500, Tony

I remember 1961 and tv was a lot better then.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I prefer the really old shows. RTN is showing some. its carried
on a OTA sub channel here

I watch that a lot too. It's channel 7.3 from Washington DC.

Magnum, P.I., The Rockford Files.

I didn't see Daniel Boone when I was little (maybe I was in college
then.) and the Rifleman, Seahunt, Leave it to Beaver, Wagon Train...

I also like RTN. I wish they would schedule Alfred Hitchcock a little
earlier than midnight.

Once in a while a commercial makes reference to a news channel 8, but
it doesn't say where that is. The stories they promote sound
interesting.

Do you see the commercial? Do you know where it is?

P&M&M

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv

My big pioneer plasma seems to do a good job with digital channels in the DC
area

I have numerous ways of capturing the digital signals here all the devices
seem about the same to me, but great difference can be seen in what antennae
is used and it's placement

I live in a high rise apartment - 24th floor of 26 - SW facing balcony --
not idea, but I have a big HD antennae on the balcony next to the DirecTV
dish and get good reception on nearly all channel in the area even though I
can not get a direct view of probably 50-60 of the compass.

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 9:45 am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
I can no longer find the message, but I'm sure that it was on one of
these two newsgroups within the past few days that I read an allegation
that the move from analog to digital for TV broadcasting was a plot to
push vast numbers of people to cable or satellite because the digital
signal is receivable only over a very small area.

I mentioned this allegation to a broadcast engineer yesterday. He told
me that in fact many people are not getting good reception of the OTA
digital signals and are moving to cable or satellite because many of the
expensive HD TVs on the market have appallingly insensitive antenna
inputs -- far inferior to the almost-free converter boxes that were
distributed over the last couple of years.

Perce

I hadn't heard that, but it is disturbing. I get great reception with
my converter box, in what had formerly been a fringe area. I have been
toying with buying a 52" Samsung LCD, but if it would be a step
backwards, I'll continue with my 36" CRT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:15:50 -0500, aemeijers

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:29:13 -0500, "Steven" wrote:

. directv for me is mostly history channel discovery, mgmhd, tnt tcm
etc
HULU.com has a lot of the History stuff for free. I am just starting
to find the internet TV things but there seems to be plenty. It may
eventually let me get rid of Comcast. (My connection is DSL)

Aye, there's the rub, as somebody famous once said. Around here, a
broadband connection fast enough to use for TV downloads would cost more
than a Satt dish subscription. And unless you buy a bunch of geek
hardware and figure out how to plumb it, you are watching TV on the
freaking computer. I only have 384 DSL, which is painful even for small
video downloads. And since I am outside of Ma Bell DSL area, I have to
pay twice as much to another vendor.

The hardware is trivial, particularly if you have a new flat screen
TV, since they have a VGA connector. Otherwise you need a TV out card.
Still not a big deal. My other machine uses the TV out card just like
a S3 video card (which it also is) The TV is just parallel to the
monitor.

If you can't get 1mb DSL you are screwed tho.

Oh, I can get it. But the dish network subscription I already have is
cheaper than the 'real' DSL would be, so it is sort of a moot point. If
Ma Bell DSL (at half the price) came out this far, it might be worth
chasing. Only other option for fast connection is cable, but the price
difference between Just Internet, and Internet + TV, is about ten bucks,
so again, it pretty much makes internet TV a moot point.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 7:55�pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

dish network is raising fees effective feb 1st.

receiver fees going up, today 5 bucks per receiver, new price as much
as 17 bucks. worse they lease everything with large cancellation fees,
and you must pay 15 bucks per receiver to return them at end of
lease.

cancellation fees went up to near 400 bucks.

the cable piggie is now the satellite dish piggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Cable in Los Angeles used to be $6 a month. I move to Tennessee and
it jumps to $20. But now, it's over $50 a month and will continue to
rise as long as there are folks willing to pay the increases.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/10 07:20 am, Phisherman wrote:

Cable in Los Angeles used to be $6 a month. I move to Tennessee and
it jumps to $20. But now, it's over $50 a month and will continue to
rise as long as there are folks willing to pay the increases.

How many channels did you have for $6 a month? How many do you have now
for $50 a month?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:55:01 -0500, aemeijers

[...]

My DSL lite (stays at $20/mo.) can only download at about 500 kbps,
about one-tenth the US average. But it works well and more reliable
and much less cost than Comcast. I can stream a small window or
listen to Internet radio and surf simultaneously. Even with dial-up
I listened to Internet radio, but then can't do anything else that is
Internet. My sister pays $10 a month for dialup--there you might
allow 1 to 5 hours for a Windows O/S update download every month.