Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digital TV

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:04:47 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 17, 7:55?pm, aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:15:50 -0500, aemeijers

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:29:13 -0500, "Steven" wrote:

. directv for me is mostly history channel discovery, mgmhd, tnt tcm
etc
HULU.com has a lot of the History stuff for free. I am just starting
to find the internet TV things but there seems to be plenty. It may
eventually let me get rid of Comcast. (My connection is DSL)
Aye, there's the rub, as somebody famous once said. Around here, a
broadband connection fast enough to use for TV downloads would cost more
than a Satt dish subscription. And unless you buy a bunch of geek
hardware and figure out how to plumb it, you are watching TV on the
freaking computer. I only have 384 DSL, which is painful even for small
video downloads. And since I am outside of Ma Bell DSL area, I have to
pay twice as much to another vendor.

The hardware is trivial, particularly if you have a new flat screen
TV, since they have a VGA connector. Otherwise you need a TV out card.
Still not a big deal. My other machine uses the TV out card just like
a S3 video card (which it also is) The TV is just parallel to the
monitor.

If you can't get 1mb DSL you are screwed tho.

Oh, I can get it. But the dish network subscription I already have is
cheaper than the 'real' DSL would be, so it is sort of a moot point. If
Ma Bell DSL (at half the price) came out this far, it might be worth
chasing. Only other option for fast connection is cable, but the price
difference between Just Internet, and Internet + TV, is about ten bucks,
so again, it pretty much makes internet TV a moot point.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

dish network is raising fees effective feb 1st.

receiver fees going up, today 5 bucks per receiver, new price as much
as 17 bucks. worse they lease everything with large cancellation fees,
and you must pay 15 bucks per receiver to return them at end of
lease.

cancellation fees went up to near 400 bucks.

the cable piggie is now the satellite dish piggie

Cable in Los Angeles used to be $6 a month. I move to Tennessee and
it jumps to $20. But now, it's over $50 a month and will continue to
rise as long as there are folks willing to pay the increases.