Posted to alt.home.repair

Default programmable outlets

Where I used to work they had outlets and lights that could be
"programmed" to operate with a similarly programmed switch. They way
the switches and outlets where programmed was by two dials on each
fixture, one dial had letters the other had numbers. You could set a
switch to G-4 and then it would control all outlets and lights that
where also set to G-4.

These did not work via RF instead the switches sent a signal through
the AC wiring to all points in the building and would activate the
correct fixtures. I called Lutron to see if they had something like
that and they suggested I buy their new Radio RA. I'm not interested
in spending $150 for each switch and $80 for each outlet for the Radio
RA.

So does anybody know what company make the outlets that I first
mentioned that could be programmed to work via specific switches?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 8, 2:01*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

Sounds like X-10 to me, but I don't remember outlets, only plug in
modules. I do remember they had switches that would replace regular
toggle switches though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they're made by Leviton, and they were wise to steer you toward RF
technology. They call their stuff "Decora Home Control". They used to call
it "Decora Electronic Control". The technology is so cheesy, they had
something like 40% defective units, I suppose they tried to refine it, then
gave it a new name. The stuff works, sometimes, then for no apparent reason,
it doesn't work. Electrical noise rakes havoc on it. If you want the same
crappy technology, in a cheaper product, you can get X-10 stuff, which is
also compatible with Levitons stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 2:28*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

also compatible with Levitons stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Do you think the Insteon is also the same type of unit?
http://www.insteon.net/2473SWH-outletlinc.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

In article , says...
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

I have had X10 modules from Radio Shack for nearly 20 years and they work
fine. I did add the diodes across the two phases in my house wiring to cancel
spurious signals many years ago, since something new in my neighborhood was
randomly turning on one light. All of my exterior lights and detached garage
lights are on X10 so I can quickly turn them all on, or just one as needed. In
all that time I have had one mini controller fail, that's all.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 1:01*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

Thats X-10, check out Smarthome.com they have them. But I'd go with
their Insteon technology instead, it is way more reliable than the old
X-10 stuff. I'm using Insteon all over the house, works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DT" wrote in message
In article , says...
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

When and where they work, they do so just fine... Then suddenly you get a
new refrigerator, and they can no longer find the signal. Consider yourself
fortunate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:28 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know Insteon. In my opinion RF is the way to go, but it's pricey. If
it's not anything critical you could try the cheap X10 stuff.Same line
carrier technology as Leviton. Just be aware that even if it works
initially, a new appliance, fluorescent fixture, and any number of other
things can cause electrical noise that interfere with it's signal
transmission.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:28 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

They need to go back to vacuum tube technology. In the 1940's there
were juke boxes that sent signals through the AC power lines. They made
a lot of "wireless" speakers that just had to be plugged into any 120
outlet in the building. Rebuilt with new caps and such, they work great
even with the electrical noise of today. They also made record
selectors that would take your coins and play the records you pick, just
plugged into an AC outlet, and rebuilt, they also work great even in
todays "noisy" electrical world.

This original wireless speaker will set you back a few thousand dollars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdw-tFjTFec They went all out just for a
speaker didn't they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:01:22 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

[...]

They were still RF, but over the line. X-10 is a common supplier.
Radio shack used to have them under the "whole house" brand in Canada
- and RCA had them too. Among others. I've got X10, RCA GE and Whole
House and they all work together. You set what is called a "house
code" and a "circuit code".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:39:36 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:28 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

And they will NOT swith cfl or flourescent lights - or equipment with
solid state switching. Sometimes putting a small resistive load like a
7 watt incandescent bulb in the circuit will make them switch -
othertimes the inductive component is too high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 2:33*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"DT" wrote in message

In article , says...
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

fortunate- Hide quoted text -

The Insteon stuff uses both powerline and RF networks simultaneously,
it really is a lot better than the old X-10 stuff, I'm well aware of
those problems too. But the Insteon mesh network works great as long
as you install at least 2 RF repeaters per 2000 square feet of house
or so. Without the repeaters it is still way better than X-10 due to
better noise rejection and higher signal level. With the repeaters
its been very dependable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

X10 works fine about 99.5% of the time (my estimate). I wouldn't put
something critical on it but it's fine for turning lights or the
stereo on and off.

You CAN use CFLs with X10 but you can't use a lamp module, you have to
use an appliance module.

Haven't been there in a while but x10.com gives tons of stuff away
with each order-- if you're not in a hurry just wait for the give-
aways of stuff you want.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Copyright 2010 by Shaun Eli. All Rights Reserved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
X10 works fine about 99.5% of the time (my estimate). I wouldn't put
something critical on it but it's fine for turning lights or the
stereo on and off.

You CAN use CFLs with X10 but you can't use a lamp module, you have to
use an appliance module.

Haven't been there in a while but x10.com gives tons of stuff away
with each order-- if you're not in a hurry just wait for the give-
aways of stuff you want.

Shaun Eli

What's up with all the half dressed girls on X-10.com? It reminds me
of the old Ridgid Tools calender where a scantily clad bimbo cuddles
up to a pipe wrench. I always thought it would be hysterical to put
out a beauty shop calender that had Speedo wearing hunks rubbing hair
curlers all over themselves. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 2:28 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

[...]

othertimes the inductive component is too high.- Hide quoted text -

There are X10 modules that will work with any load. You just have to
buy the right one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Do you think the Insteon is also the same type of unit?
http://www.insteon.net/2473SWH-outletlinc.html

I don't know Insteon. In my opinion RF is the way to go, but it's pricey. If
it's not anything critical you could try the cheap X10 stuff.Same line
carrier technology as Leviton. Just be aware that even if it works
initially, a new appliance, fluorescent fixture, and any number of other
things can cause electrical noise that interfere with it's signal
transmission.

I have used Insteon, or (more correctly) TRIED to use Insteon.
these may have been the most aggravating electrical things I've ever
had. They worked just enough to make you think they were OK, then
another failure.

BTW, X10 works consistently on one side of my house, on the other side
they're erratic. Insteon doesn't work decently ANYWHERE.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

And they will NOT swith cfl or flourescent lights - or equipment with
solid state switching. Sometimes putting a small resistive load like a
7 watt incandescent bulb in the circuit will make them switch -
othertimes the inductive component is too high.

A X10 appliance module is supposed to work with fluorescent. However,
one of their "features" can get in the way. The "turn on with device
switch" sends out a small current. That's supposed to allow the module
to recognize when the device's switch is operated and turn the module
on. This can misfire with some devices, like fluorescent lights. You
turn it off, and a couple of seconds later it comes back on.

A X10 receptacle module eliminates this "feature", so it should work.
However, for some unknown reason, the "off current" is STILL there.
This can cause fluorescent lights to glow when they're supposed to be
"off". This is even worse with electronic ballasts.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:15:27 -0500, DT
wrote:

[snip]

I have had X10 modules from Radio Shack for nearly 20 years and they work
fine. I did add the diodes across the two phases in my house wiring to cancel
spurious signals many years ago, since something new in my neighborhood was
randomly turning on one light.

How did you connect the diodes?

All of my exterior lights and detached garage
lights are on X10 so I can quickly turn them all on, or just one as needed. In
all that time I have had one mini controller fail, that's all.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:33:30 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

[snip]

When and where they work, they do so just fine... Then suddenly you get a
new refrigerator, and they can no longer find the signal. Consider yourself
fortunate

They do make filters for offending appliances, but it's a lot of work
finding them and you have to keep doing it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:15:27 -0500, DT
wrote:

[snip]

I have had X10 modules from Radio Shack for nearly 20 years and they work
fine. I did add the diodes across the two phases in my house wiring to cancel
spurious signals many years ago, since something new in my neighborhood was
randomly turning on one light.

How did you connect the diodes?

He may be referring to the coupling capacitors used to send the signals
across the phases.

TDD

All of my exterior lights and detached garage
lights are on X10 so I can quickly turn them all on, or just one as needed. In
all that time I have had one mini controller fail, that's all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:55:18 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:15:27 -0500, DT
wrote:

[snip]

I have had X10 modules from Radio Shack for nearly 20 years and they work
fine. I did add the diodes across the two phases in my house wiring to cancel
spurious signals many years ago, since something new in my neighborhood was
randomly turning on one light.

How did you connect the diodes?

He may be referring to the coupling capacitors used to send the signals
across the phases.

A capacitor between hot and hot couples signals between phases. How
would you use them to cancel spurious signals?

I also didn't know about spelling "capacitors" as D-I-O-D-E-S :-)

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Duh! I think all I saw was diodes, capacitors to ground to get rid of
RF? I know there are capacitors used for coupling the signal between
phases but putting diodes across the phases is a new one for me. I
think a diode across the phases would soon lose all of its magic smoke.

TDD

And you need smart capacitors, that can block extraneous signals at
around 121KHz while passing the 121KHz X10 signals.

BTW, I know someone who had a house fire of Christmas 2008 (possibly
casuse by faulty wiring done by a former owner). It still smells
smoky.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[snip]

Duh! I think all I saw was diodes, capacitors to ground to get rid of
RF? I know there are capacitors used for coupling the signal between
phases but putting diodes across the phases is a new one for me. I
think a diode across the phases would soon lose all of its magic smoke.

TDD

And you need smart capacitors, that can block extraneous signals at
around 121KHz while passing the 121KHz X10 signals.

BTW, I know someone who had a house fire of Christmas 2008 (possibly
casuse by faulty wiring done by a former owner). It still smells
smoky.

I haven't played around with X-10 stuff in years but I distinctly recall
signal coupling units made by the manufacturers to send the X--10
signals across the phases/hot legs in the main electrical panel. I don't
think the things were "diodes". You can make your own with a 0.1uF,630v
polyester capacitor, 18uH inductor and a 0.25A in-line fuse (optional,
but recommended) connected in series across the hot legs. The safest way
to do it is to install a 2 pole breaker and hook it up there or slip the
leads under those already hooked to a 2 pole breaker (uh, first turn the
breaker off). I would install the small fuse in series with the
components because I've seen voltage spikes short capacitors and let all
the magic smoke out.

TDD