Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Programmable Thermostat

The programmable thermostat on my upstairs Comfortmaker heat pump has
started acting strangely. It's made by Totaline. In normal operation,
when it is being programmed, certain numbers or digits (temperature,
heat, cool) will flash to indicate which parameter is being set. After a
few seconds, the flashing stops to indicate that the control is no
longer in the programming mode. The problem with my unit is that it
sometimes continues to flash.

I've removed and restored power to the thermostat and to the heat pump
to try to reset the unit. Neither has helped. My guess is that the unit
is defective. (I cannot find a reset button.) The biggest problem is
that when a time-of-day setting is activated, such as changing the heat
from 69 to 72 degrees at 6:00AM, the heat does not kick in.

I cannot find a model number anywhere on the unit. It looks almost
exactly like the "Gold Programmable" on page 4 of the Totaline brochure
at http://www.totaline.com/dl/570-484.pdf, meaning that it may be a
Model P274. How can I find out which unit is the correct replacement? I
want to replace it myself. The heating and cooling stages don't mean a
lot to me. The heat side has emergency heat and normal heat (is that two
stages?) As far as I know, the cooling is only one cycle. Am I going to
have to get the model number of the heat pump to get the specs, or is
there another way to characterize the unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:49:36 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

[...]

It is my experience that most all thermostats are made cheaply
and should be considered throw-a-way.

I understand they will hold memory for some time without
batteries or outside power. They are designed to do this to allow for
folk like me to take their good old time in replacing those batteries,
including maybe going to the store for new batteries and not loose
their memory. If you can do without it for a few days or would happen
to know where you could drain the power safely you might be able to
establish a re-boot.

Maybe it would be a good time to buy a new one and keep the
original as a backup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Honeywell Vision Pro line is very good choice.
You have to know the HP specs like how many cool/heat stages, aux. heat,
etc. to find the correct replacement and configure the system option
accordingly per owner's manual. I always use Viion Pro 8000 series for
family and friends. Some times over kill but it is very good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Honeywell Vision Pro line is very good choice.
You have to know the HP specs like how many cool/heat stages, aux. heat,
etc. to find the correct replacement and configure the system option
accordingly per owner's manual. I always use Viion Pro 8000 series for
family and friends. Some times over kill but it is very good.

Where can a consumer buy one of these?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Honeywell Vision Pro line is very good choice.
You have to know the HP specs like how many cool/heat stages, aux.
heat, etc. to find the correct replacement and configure the system
option accordingly per owner's manual. I always use Viion Pro 8000
series for family and friends. Some times over kill but it is very good.

Where can a consumer buy one of these?

Hi,
On-line store or eBay, even HD. Vision Pro 8000 has 3 models. Get a
proper one for your need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Honeywell Vision Pro line is very good choice.
You have to know the HP specs like how many cool/heat stages, aux.
heat, etc. to find the correct replacement and configure the system
option accordingly per owner's manual. I always use Viion Pro 8000
series for family and friends. Some times over kill but it is very good.

Where can a consumer buy one of these?

Hi,
On-line store or eBay, even HD. Vision Pro 8000 has 3 models. Get a
proper one for your need.

Thanks. How can I definitively determine what type of heat pump I have?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Do yourself a favor and get a Honeywell. Some of the newer ones
automatically adjust clocks for daylight savings time, although not
sure how that works when a dumb-ass president changes the dates.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

[...]

Have you removed the cover of the thermostat and replaced the battery. My
Dad called me once and was ready to replace his heat pump because of one
of these digital thermostats had a battery inside. He replaced the battery
and all was well. He didn't know that a battery run the memory.
Just a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:
[...]

When batteries need replacement it'll give plenty of warning displaying
flashing letters "Batt" Programmed setting is stored in the NV memory
and dead batteries won't erase it. You can either set it to dactory
defaulr setting or reprogram it any way you want. Some one mentioned Day
light saving time change. Mine has a button wich moves clock one hour
back and forth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
RLM wrote:
[...]

Mine doesn't use a battery -- it has a large capacitor to bridge power
interruptions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your dad must be related to my brother-in-law! He moved his family into a
house his wife HAD to have that was previously owned by a old couple that
hadn't done ANY maintenance in 30 years. First cold day he called saying he
was going to have to replace the old furnace cause it wasn't putting out
much heat. I asked him if he'd changed the filter. He called me back and
said it was so dirty he had a hard time getting it out of the enclosure. He
still needs to replace the old unit for overall efficiency, but not cause it
isn't putting out enough heat!

"RLM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Programmable Thermostat --Honeywell

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Honeywell has so many
different versions of the VisionPro, instead of one that you could set
up for different types of systems with dip switches and/or the
configuation setup menu. I have seen one that says it is for
gas/electic/heat pump, but there is no W2 terminal on it for the peat
pump, so there is no way to control the aux. heat. The White Rogers that
we usually use can be used on nearly any system-- gas, electric or heat
pump, single or two stage compressor, can be programmable or non, with
or w/o time delay for the compressor etc.
The OP probably just has a standard heat pump. Pretty much any heat pump
stat should work-- if it has an "Emergency heat' setting, it should have
a W2 terminal. Larry