Default What to look for in a programmable thermostat

I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

thanks.

Honey well have proven to be some of the better models for the DIY guy.
You want at least four set points per day. Some are programmable 5/2 days
per week, others can be varied every day. If you work weekends and have
days off during hte week, the seven day feature is probably important for
you.

Chip C

I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

thanks.

I've seen then with a little bar graph showing your energy usage (ie,
hours per day that heat was called for) over the last so-many days. How
did we live without that?

I'd put a higher priority on "armchair programming", where you can take
the thing off the wall and work with it at your convenience, instead of
standing in front of it for a half-hour as you program it.

Someone on this NG a few months ago asked about 14-day programming,
since his life revolved around a two-week cycle of having his kids in
the house. I think the consensus was that no such thing existed.

Chip C

Dick

Get a Honeywell Chronotherm IV. We have the one made for Trane by
Honeywell. It has a copy feature so you don't have to program the
same things several times. You can also set the time and temperature
for when you return from a trip. It also maintains temperature within
1/2-degree. In short it will do everything except cook your
breakfast. Maybe it can even do that!

On 24 Mar 2005 11:44:45 -0800, wrote:

I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

thanks.

Beachcomber

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:14:28 -0500, Jim wrote:

wrote:

I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

Seven day programmable, with at least four programs (different temp
settings) per day. I believe five/two day programmable with four
programs is enough for the energy star program. Your utility might have
a rebate for energy star thermostats.

Honeywell is a good choice and their thermostats don't employ noisy
relays either. That is a problem with cheap Chinese thermostates (e.g.
Braeburn).

Most of the consumer Honeywells are powered by batteries. If you have a
common wire, you might be interested in a model that doesn't require
batteries to power it. Some models use batteries for battery back up
only, some don't need any batteries period with non volatile memory.

If you don't have a heat pump, and do have a one stage furnace (possibly
with an air conditioner) I highly recommend the Honeywell CT3600. It
requires batteries, but keeps track of usage and has some nice features,
like remembering when to start your furnace to have the house at the
assigned temperature at the assigned time.

Most of these thermostats are detachable with "armchair" programming.

I've noticed that the cheaper consumer models (White Rodgers?) may
have cheap contacts that easily get bent and mis-aligned when
replacing the thermostat. Also, if the battery holders are cheap,
sometimes the battery losses contact just for a second and the
thermostat will lose all its programming.

Beachcomber

cc0112453

I bought an inexpensive one for around $30. It has separate settings for
weekends. Each day has multiple settings so that I can program it to come
on in the morning before I get up, turn off after I leave for work and come
back on in the evening just as I am arriving home. On the weekends of
course I am home most of the time so I want a different set of settings.
Most basic programmable thermostats will do this.

Doug
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm searching for models online and there seem to be so many of them.
What are the features to look for in a programmable thermostat?

thanks.

m Ransley

Look for quality, not features, such as Lux etc. You want something to
last. Honywell and others will last and even control temps better. Good
brands have every feature to. Alot of cheap stuff is cheap chinese junk
prone to many different types of failures.

"Look for quality, not features, such as Lux etc."

Why should he not look for features? Features like how easy it is to
program or whether it has full 7 day programmability are very
important. I've had several of various types over the last 20 years and
all have worked perfectly without failure. Plus, I'd bet lots of even
the more expensive stuff is made in cheap overseas manufacturing
locations.

m Ransley

Qualty units have models with features, features don`t mean it is a
quality unit. I have 2 new Lux that have issues already and 2, 25 yr old
Honywell I removed that are fine and work better in temp control . Cheap
units are known to cause problems and fail prematurely. Not turning on
or off has been documented, not something you want to come home to , a
freezing or boiling house. My lux doesnt have an anticipator but temp
rise or some other mode of control, it is not as comfortable. And the
switches dont engage till I jiggle them . My old Honywell is quality, my
lux is not as is alot of chinese crap