Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Programmable thermostat

I am going to replace the thermostat that was installed with our new
home with a programmable type. I think a 5-2 with 4 events per day
will suffice. We don't really need an auto-switch over as I have seen
in some models. Our system is a 95% efficiency natural gas forced air
furnace with central air.

I don't know if these models have different settings between heating
and cooling, so that we would not have to re-do the settings when we
switch between heating and cooling, but it would be desireable.

What models have you used for your homes, and what were your
experiences ?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Jungle Jim wrote:
I am going to replace the thermostat that was installed with our new
home with a programmable type. I think a 5-2 with 4 events per day
will suffice. We don't really need an auto-switch over as I have seen
in some models. Our system is a 95% efficiency natural gas forced air
furnace with central air.

I don't know if these models have different settings between heating
and cooling, so that we would not have to re-do the settings when we
switch between heating and cooling, but it would be desireable.

What models have you used for your homes, and what were your
experiences ?

Thanks for any and all replies.

I have a Honeywell. I don't remember the model number,
but it was the lowest priced one at the home store,
around $50. It does just what you say you want. 5-2, 4
events. It also has a Hold function so you can set it
up/down when you are going to be away from home. It
does have different settings for heat and cool, so you
don't have to keep fiddling with it. It has been
working just fine for me for a couple of years.

Before this I have had a couple of Lux thermostats and
neither one of them lasted more than about a year. They
are a lot cheaper than Honeywell, but that seems to be
their only advantage. And if you have to replace them
after a year that isn't much of an advantage.

Bill Gill