Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical help needed - valve actuators.

I have a 24 VAC transformer powering two Jandy pool valve actuators.
I have both hooked up to a single pole, double throw switch. Flip the
switch one way the the actuators move until limit switches inside turn
it off. Flip the switch the other way, and it puts power to a
different lead to the actuators and they move the opposite direction
until the other limit switch shuts them off.

One of the valves goes 90 degrees and the other 45. Problem is, when
the one gets to 45, it does not switch off but instead oscilates back
and forth switching directions until the 90 degree one stops. Works
OK, but I'm afraid I'm going to cause damage. I looked at the manual
and it specifically says not to double lug the switch leg wires as I
have done. That I should get a double pole switch. However, I can't
figure out why it should make a difference. My switch is far away, so
hooking it up the recommended way would require a run of two
additional wires which I'd prefer to avoid.

Here is the internal schematic - in section 7.1 and how it should
really be wired up. Any alternatives?

http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/JVAmanual.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 6, 10:09*am, wrote:
[...]

I didn't look at teh schematic, but are you sure the limit switch on
the second valve is working?: Do you have the limit switch on the
first valve killing power to both valves? Seems to me like you need a
limit switch on each valve.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are getting voltage "backfed" from a wire on one actuator to the wire on
the other actuator.

The wires need to be isolated per the directions.

You can use relays for this at the actuators and not need to run any more
wires.

Power one relay and they go one direction. Power the other relay and they go
the other direction. You could use 24 volts AC (VAC) relays which are DPST
(Double Pole Single Throw).

Search google.com for the words...

How relays work

....and there will be many different pages explaining the basics of relays.

And search for relays (contactor same thing with mounting brackets)...
24 ac contactor dpst

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:12*am, N8N wrote:
On Jan 6, 10:09*am, wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

Each valve has two limit switches and they are working correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 10:14*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:09:08 -0800 (PST), :

[...]

So you prefer to avoid wiring it per specific instructions provided by
the manufacturer?- Hide quoted text -

Yes I would if I can come up with a way to make it work as intended.
Sure I can run two more wires and be done, but if its really not
hurting anything or if I can figure a way to make it work by rewiring
the actuators inside, then I will do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 11:04*am, "Bill" wrote:
You are getting voltage "backfed" from a wire on one actuator to the wire on
the other actuator.

The wires need to be isolated per the directions.

You can use relays for this at the actuators and not need to run any more
wires.

Power one relay and they go one direction. Power the other relay and they go
the other direction. You could use 24 volts AC (VAC) relays which are DPST
(Double Pole Single Throw).

Search google.com for the words...

How relays work

...and there will be many different pages explaining the basics of relays..

And search for relays (contactor same thing with mounting brackets)...
24 ac contactor dpst

Thanks. I have some relays on hand already. Or maybe I'll just end
up running the extra wires as I also have a DP switch I can use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, you actually read the instructions, NOW FOLLOW THEM!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Yes, but the instructions were written for the everyday electrician
who just goes and wires things up. I like to dig deeper and learn as
much as I can, especially if it can save me some physical labor and/or
money.

So I contacted an engineer at Jandy who was very helpful and confirmed
what I already knew - that my two valves will work on a single pole
switch, but will have that chatter in the one unit until the latter
one gets to its position. I asked if I was doing any damage, and he
said that the only problem (and the reason they say not to do this in
the manual), is that the motor can overheat if the valves are run for
a long time. Since mine travel 45 and 90 degrees (about 10 seconds)
and are operated about twice per week, he thought there would be no
problems.

So problem solved - I had no real problem to begin with, and now I
don't need to crawl in the attic space and add additional wire runs,
double pole switch, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
typed:
[...]

1. Do you know for certain the limit switch works? Pull the wires off and
manually make the connections. Does it fix it?

2. Is the switch you're using a "make before break" type? You would need a
"break before make" type for that application.
If it's make before break then you're momentarily applying power to both
valves at the same time, which could cause damage to the switch or even one
of the solenoids.
You might even have created a partial weld inside the switch where
partial power is being applied to both when you select the one valve. Test
it manually, without the switch.

3. If it were an approved method to not use the other two wires,
wouldn'tyou expect the directions to say so?

Assuming you can test both the switch and valves to operate normally when
you remove the switch and manuall connect the wires, AND they test perfect,
0.0 ohms and inifinity on the proper pins, then run the extra two wires
above ground and see if it works right.
I think it will, but I'm betting you have to replace the switch first. Or
possibly a valve but a non-working limit switch doesn't explain all that's
going on. Just be sure to check both.
And next time, follow instructions. Cutting corners almost never works.

Twayne

Live in the moment;
be open to the possibilities
that life has to offer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good thinking! As long as the intent of the instructions are met, it'll work
fine; relays would make it possible without running the other two wires, I
think. Depends on the specific requirements but that sounds workable. If
it's done right and you don't cut corners again.

In ,
Bill typed: