Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stop and waste valve help needed

can someone tell me where to find, if possible, what I'm looking for?

I have an exterior spigot on my house. It's just a regular spigot;
inside the house there is a stop and waste valve to shut it off in the
wintertime. I rebuilt the valve so I can shut it off, but it needs to
be replaced as I can't turn it on (part of it is cracked, and when I
cleaned all the lime and scale off of it when I rebuilt it it started
leaking.) I can't find a new one with which to replace it!

This valve is mounted horizontally on the wall with the flow from left
to right (as you look at the stem.) All I can seem to find are valves
that flow from right to left. Does anyone know of a source for
"backwards" S&W valves, preferably ball type (I'm starting to become a
ball valve convert for reasons of better flow and lack of rubber washers
and packing to replace, which seems to be a regular event whenever I
touch a new valve around here,) or is a "simple" valve replacement that
I was hoping to avoid in the first place going to involve a lot of
replumbing?

There's another wrinkle to this which is that I have the same exact
setup in another, less accessable location in the house and that valve
also needs a rebuild. If I mung that up, I'm going to have the same
problem but with a far greater PITA factor.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
This valve is mounted horizontally on the wall with the flow from left to
right (as you look at the stem.) All I can seem to find are valves that
flow from right to left.

You can do better than that. Probably won't even get a nibble let alone set
the hook.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

This valve is mounted horizontally on the wall with the flow from left to
right (as you look at the stem.) All I can seem to find are valves that
flow from right to left.

You can do better than that. Probably won't even get a nibble let alone set
the hook.

I'm really not trolling, I can only find a S&W valve with the outlet on
the right. If I were to use the ones all of my local stores sell (yes,
including the Real Plumbing Store) then the "waste" feature would be
useless as the little drain nipple would be on the inlet side, whereas I
need it on the outlet side to let the pipe to the spigot drain dry.

I ASSume this is not a big deal when used on an overhead pipe as if it
ends up oriented wrong you just flip the valve over, but in this app. it
is important as I can only mount it exactly one way (stem facing away
from the wall, flow from left to right, drain nipple on the outlet side
facing down.) Otherwise I would have to run about 12' of new 1/2"
copper from overhead to come in from the other side, remove the old tee,
etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Home Depot:
http://tinyurl.com/3yt9p8

Ball stop/waste
Left to right
Stem/handle facing away from wall

They're really common, so you should be able to find them
at other outlets too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 6:11�pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

at other outlets too.- Hide quoted text -

ball valves appear to never fail, i am slowly replacing all my valves
with ball valves. the stems dont corrode in place, so in a emergency
you dont find them impossible to move.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you just use a standard freezeproof faucet, which has the actual
valve part inside the basement? I assume yours is in a basement.
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

What were your search terms? I just get "the product you are trying to
view is not currently available." In fact, I can't find any valves at
all on their ****ty web site...

I believe I've ranted on here before about how worthless HD is, so I'm
certain they don't stock this. (in no small part because I've looked
for just this product every time I've been in the plumbing aisle just to
see if I've missed something.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:
Can you just use a standard freezeproof faucet, which has the actual
valve part inside the basement? I assume yours is in a basement.
Larry

I could, but the sillcock is actually hidden under a deck. I was going
to extend it up above the deck which means maintaining the current setup
would be preferable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Link works here; maybe it's related to location.

Anyway:
Store SKU# 295723
1/2 In. Full Port Solder Forged Brass Ball Valve With Drain

Model 107-553HC

Plug the SKU into your local store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, no workee.

that was enough to determine that that is a Mueller/B-K valve though, so
your research was helpful. Now I just have to find someone that stocks it.

Do they make an opposite "handed" version by chance? just in case I
ever need one of those? All the stores around here do stock Mueller/B-K
but the only S&W valves they have are actual stop valves, and they flow
in the opposite direction. Never actually seen a ball type S&W valve
that I recall...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, I figured it out - I hadn't selected a store.

"not sold online."

GRR. *******s.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:06:04 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Anyway:
Store SKU# 295723
1/2 In. Full Port Solder Forged Brass Ball Valve With Drain

Model 107-553HC

Plug the SKU into your local store.

Nope, no workee.

It would look like this (close):

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...3_front200.jpg

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I ASSume this is not a big deal when used on an overhead pipe as if it
ends up oriented wrong you just flip the valve over, but in this app. it
is important as I can only mount it exactly one way (stem facing away from
the wall, flow from left to right, drain nipple on the outlet side facing
down.)

Can't you just rotate it 90 or 180 degrees?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyway:
Store SKU# 295723
1/2 In. Full Port Solder Forged Brass Ball Valve With Drain

Model 107-553HC

Plug the SKU into your local store.

Nope, no workee.

It would look like this (close):

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/p...3_front200.jpg

Oren
--

but backwards, I assume.

nate

Speedy Jim - is your friend.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Someone may have already suggested this, but I didn't read the whole
thread...

Ditch the double valve setup and replace it with a "frost proof sill
cock", which is readily available and inexpensive. Basically the handle
and spout are outside and the actual valve seat is inside. They also
incorporate the vacuum breaker function required in the newer codes.

Outside Stop Valve? Wiggy UK diy 0 January 16th 07 12:41 PM
Water Stop Valve Next to House - Needed? O.B. Home Repair 23 January 31st 06 01:30 AM
replacing a stop and waste valve Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 2 May 6th 05 09:04 PM
dishwasher & washing machine waste on sink trap - how to stop backflow? [email protected] UK diy 3 March 21st 05 05:04 PM