Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] borne@gate.net is offline

Default Electrical help needed - valve actuators.

On Jan 6, 10:14*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:09:08 -0800 (PST), :

I have a 24 VAC transformer powering two Jandy pool valve actuators.
I have both hooked up to a single pole, double throw switch. *Flip the
switch one way the the actuators move until limit switches inside turn
it off. *Flip the switch the other way, and it puts power to a
different lead to the actuators and they move the opposite direction
until the other limit switch shuts them off.

One of the valves goes 90 degrees and the other 45. *Problem is, when
the one gets to 45, it does not switch off but instead oscilates back
and forth switching directions until the 90 degree one stops. *Works
OK, but I'm afraid I'm going to cause damage. *I looked at the manual
and it specifically says not to double lug the switch leg wires as I
have done. *That I should get a double pole switch. *However, I can't
figure out why it should make a difference. *My switch is far away, so
hooking it up the recommended way would require a run of two
additional wires which I'd prefer to avoid.

So you prefer to avoid wiring it per specific instructions provided by
the manufacturer?- Hide quoted text -

Yes I would if I can come up with a way to make it work as intended.
Sure I can run two more wires and be done, but if its really not
hurting anything or if I can figure a way to make it work by rewiring
the actuators inside, then I will do that.