Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Glazing with DAP 33`

First of all, please don't laugh at me - I admit to being n00bish

This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing windows
with DAP 33.

I have a wood frame, and a 8x10 piece of glass. The rabbet is 1/4 inch. I
lay down a small bead of putty (DAP 33) into the rabbet. I press the glass
into it. So far so good, looks good. Fits nicely. I install a glazier point
in the middle of each side, four total.

Now for the fun part. I get a nice glob of putty, roll it into a ball, warm
it a bit with my hands, roll it into a rope and press it into the groove. I
take my putty knife, and try to run it along the grove to make a nice flat
surface. I'm finding that no matter how I do this, the knife pulls the putty
and I don't get a smooth surface.

I watched a video of someone doing this, and he made it look real easy.
Bah.... I tried a plastic putty knife, a metal putty knife, plastic caulk
smoothing gizmo that is supposed to MAKE CAULKING EASY ONLY $19.99 (actually
cost about three bucks) and same problem. It pulls the putty and I don't get
a smooth finish. Hold knife flat, angle it up, etc. Pulls putty.

So - what am I missing? What is the trick to doing this with DAP 33 so that
you get a nice smooth finish? Warm it? Cool it? Mix in some linseed oil?
This can't be that difficult....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Zootal wrote:

So - what am I missing? What is the trick to doing this with DAP 33 so that
you get a nice smooth finish? Warm it? Cool it? Mix in some linseed oil?
This can't be that difficult....

Besides what others said...

Knife needs to be very smooth and you want a stiff blade that does not
bend/flex much if any.

Be sure the glazing compound is fresh--doesn't have hardened lumps in
it, etc., ...

Warm is good...if in a cool area, it may be cooling between the time you
are rubbing/kneading it and placing it before edging. If so, try to
either work it a little more or hopefully, find a warm spot in which to
work...

Other than that, should go fine...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 6:04*pm, "Zootal" wrote:
[...]

It pulls it like its ripping pieces, then just go over it the other
way or with your finger to settle it back down, its probably old putty
and been on the shelf a long time, mix in linseed oil. but ive had
that happen and I just go over it the oposite way to lay it back down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Zootal" wrote:
First of all, please don't laugh at me - I admit to being n00bish

This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing windows
with DAP 33.

I have a wood frame, and a 8x10 piece of glass. The rabbet is 1/4 inch. I
lay down a small bead of putty (DAP 33) into the rabbet. I press the glass
into it. So far so good, looks good. Fits nicely. I install a glazier point
in the middle of each side, four total.

Now for the fun part. I get a nice glob of putty, roll it into a ball, warm
it a bit with my hands, roll it into a rope and press it into the groove. I
take my putty knife, and try to run it along the grove to make a nice flat
surface. I'm finding that no matter how I do this, the knife pulls the putty
and I don't get a smooth surface.

Welcome to the wonders of DAP 33, IMHO the worst excuse for a window glazing
compound ever made. You'll probably have better luck with the house brand at
Ace, Tru-Value, or Do-It-Best hardware.

Try working it around in your hands for ten minutes or so first -- if your
hands aren't feeling a bit sore, you haven't been doing it long enough.
You possibly aren't applying enough pressure with the putty knife, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, everyone. The dastardly deed has been done . I ended up using a 1"
wood chisel because I didn't like any of my putty knives, and I liked the
feel of the chisel. I dipped the tip of it in linseed oil (gotta get some
mineral spirits...), and was able to get a fairly nice edge with a bit of
practice. I don't know what fresh DAP 33 is supposed to be like. This stuff
seemed to me to be fairly soft and sticky, and even warmed up I couldn't get
a nice edge. I guess I needed the right tool and a bit of practice (and some
advice from people here). The first pane took an hour or two...I must have
ripped the putty out and redid it 3 or 4 times. The second pane was about 20
minutes, the third pane about 10 minutes. Funny how that works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message

"Zootal" wrote in message
[...]

Some suggestions for the future. After you get the frame cleared our and
down to bare wood, rub some linseed oil into the wood.

Glazing points are cheap. I usually put one near the corner on each side
and then at least one every 6 inches.

As you noted there is a learning curve in knifing in the putty and making it
pretty. I have seen glazers stroke in putty about as fast as they could
move the knife.

Give the putty a week or two to skin over and then give it a coat of oil
based primer to seal being sure to leave a bead of paint on the glass and on
the wood frame.

Just before you are going to give the window the color coat, you can razor
trim the primer right to the edge of the putty, just be sure the color coat
gets a small bead of paint on the glass. Don't worry too much about paint
on the glass if you slip with the brush, the razor works fine for the first
week to trim the paint away just be sure to leave about 1/32nd of an inch of
paint on the glass.

Thanks for the after action report.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
[...]

Been a long time since I glazed a window so I don't recall for sure
which brands I used. None of them behaved as you describe. I'd toss
that batch and buy a fresh one. Is the wood primed? Clean, of course.
If you are trying to get only 1/4" deep, it might be too small to hold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
First of all, please don't laugh at me - I admit to being n00bish

This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing
windows with DAP 33.

I have a wood frame, and a 8x10 piece of glass. The rabbet is 1/4 inch. I
lay down a small bead of putty (DAP 33) into the rabbet. I press the glass
into it. So far so good, looks good. Fits nicely. I install a glazier
point in the middle of each side, four total.

Now for the fun part. I get a nice glob of putty, roll it into a ball,
warm it a bit with my hands, roll it into a rope and press it into the
groove. I take my putty knife, and try to run it along the grove to make a
nice flat surface. I'm finding that no matter how I do this, the knife
pulls the putty and I don't get a smooth surface.

Did you seal the wood preferably with boiled linseed oil and do you have a
bent putty knife?

It is a learned skill, but complete directions are he

http://www.househomerepair.com/Windo...ows-Part-1.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:04:57 -0800, Zootal wrote:
This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing windows
with DAP 33.

I found with that stuff that it needed to be really warmed up to work
well. Also that it goes off pretty quickly; I bought one of the large tubs
of it and re-did quite a few windows with it last year, and by the
end of the season the top layer of what remained was too dry to work
with. Buying smaller tubs as needed would have been a better option.

Oh, I did however once make the mistake of getting some of that glazing
compound that comes in the same style of cartridge as caulk - never
again. That stuff was truly *nasty* to work with (I figured I'd try it as
I'd become quite good at caulking, but that stuff went just about
everywhere that I didn't want it, and nowhere that I did :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

Thanks, everyone. The dastardly deed has been done . I ended up using a 1"
wood chisel because I didn't like any of my putty knives, and I liked the
feel of the chisel. I dipped the tip of it in linseed oil (gotta get some
mineral spirits...), and was able to get a fairly nice edge with a bit of
practice. I don't know what fresh DAP 33 is supposed to be like. This stuff
seemed to me to be fairly soft and sticky, and even warmed up I couldn't get
a nice edge. I guess I needed the right tool and a bit of practice (and some
advice from people here). The first pane took an hour or two...I must have
ripped the putty out and redid it 3 or 4 times. The second pane was about 20
minutes, the third pane about 10 minutes. Funny how that works.

Couple comments in case there is a "next time".

I did half a dozen wood storm windows plus a wood storm door this past year
with the Dap 33 and one trick I got off one of those 5-in-the-morning diy
shows was to mix in a little baby powder while you are rolling it around in
your hand.

It seems to absorb the excess oil in the Dap 33 while not destroying the
putty itself. It made control of it and smoothing much easier. It really
works well.

With the last part about "redid it 3 or 4 times", that was my story too for
some of it until I realized my nose was 6 inches away from what I thought
was a problem vs. the 6' to 8' away most people would be, if they noticed
the windows at all.

Don't get me wrong, I try to strive for perfection like everyone else does
but as someone else mentioned in this thread, working with window putty is a
skill but unless you do it alot, it's not going to become second nature.

With me it was the corners, trying to get the two angles, where they meet up
as pro looking as I could. Some I got so frustrated with, I thumbed it and
tucked whatever was sticking out with a flat screwdriver. Honestly, after
the primer and paint went on, I don't know if I could go outside today and
pick out which ones those were.

-bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, next time is happening now. I pulled out the next window, and
the frame is badly rotted in places, so much that I think it would be easier
to just make a new window instead of fixing this one. At least this time I
know what to do this time around.

I appreciate the 6" vs 6' comment. Someone recently posted a link to an
excellent tutorial, and the tutorial said that no one is going to look at
your windows up close and comment on your crappy glazing job. So my corners
are just rounded with my finger, and the heck with nice clean angles. Check
out these pics:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...30-09_2133.JPG
http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...30-09_2135.JPG

This is the second window I pulled. Look at the wonderful glazing job! I can
see finger prints of at least three different people. Some edges have nice
narrow glazing that nicely matches the rabbet. It might be the original
glazing, or it might have been done later by someone that knew what they
were doing. Other edges have nice glazing, but it is wide and you can see
from the other side of the window. Some edges have some sort of flexible
gunk smeared along the edges of the pane, and it doesn't look like they even
tried to make it look good.

This window is ten feet from my front door, yet in the four years I've owned
this house I never noticed how crappy this window was. And I'm worried that
someone might find some minor flaw in *my* glazing work??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:

(snip nice 'don't sweat the small stuff' story)

This window is ten feet from my front door, yet in the four years I've owned
this house I never noticed how crappy this window was. And I'm worried that
someone might find some minor flaw in *my* glazing work??

Yeah, I reglazed the windows here about a year after I moved in, to slow
down the breezes blowing through them. Only tried it myself, because
none of the handymen in the ad paper wanted the job. 8 double-hungs.
Carefully prying out as much of the old broken putty as I could,
replacing a cracked pane or two, and reglazing without removing any
intact panes. First one looks like crap, with lumps and putty showing
from the inside of the window. By the time I got the hang of it, around
pane 16, I was out of windows. Between that, and some blacksmithing on
the aluminum storms, the windows are a lot tighter now. (Basically
decent condition, just 1960 builder-grade single-panes. Payback period
for insulated re-sash kits, much less new windows, exceeds how long I
plan to keep the place....)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Dec 30 2009, 4:55*pm, Jules
wrote:
[...]

I had the opposite experience. Working with DAP 33 was a real bitch
so I switched to DAP Window Glazing in the tube. The square shape of
nozzle laid a good bead of glazing that needed very little touchup.
After 5 years it is just as solid as -33 and looks a lot better.

KC

Window Glazing Brian Henderson Woodworking 4 March 26th 09 05:17 PM
Glazing cherry davenuc Woodworking 9 January 4th 08 10:29 PM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 08:25 PM
Double Glazing - not the best ... CJB UK diy 2 December 23rd 07 12:13 AM
Conservatory glazing Dave H UK diy 1 February 18th 05 10:45 PM