Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Glazing with DAP 33`

In article , "Zootal" wrote:
First of all, please don't laugh at me - I admit to being n00bish

This question is directed primarily to those with experience glazing windows
with DAP 33.

I have a wood frame, and a 8x10 piece of glass. The rabbet is 1/4 inch. I
lay down a small bead of putty (DAP 33) into the rabbet. I press the glass
into it. So far so good, looks good. Fits nicely. I install a glazier point
in the middle of each side, four total.

Now for the fun part. I get a nice glob of putty, roll it into a ball, warm
it a bit with my hands, roll it into a rope and press it into the groove. I
take my putty knife, and try to run it along the grove to make a nice flat
surface. I'm finding that no matter how I do this, the knife pulls the putty
and I don't get a smooth surface.

Welcome to the wonders of DAP 33, IMHO the worst excuse for a window glazing
compound ever made. You'll probably have better luck with the house brand at
Ace, Tru-Value, or Do-It-Best hardware.

Try working it around in your hands for ten minutes or so first -- if your
hands aren't feeling a bit sore, you haven't been doing it long enough.
You possibly aren't applying enough pressure with the putty knife, either.