Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Need armchair legal opinion trash hauler

Round here, folks contract privately for weekly residential trash
removal. The company provides one of those 95 gallon wheeled bins with
their name on it which you roll out to the curb on pickup day.

I've been unhappy with my current hauler for a while now so didn't renew
service for the coming quarter but hired another company.

I called the old company today to let them know I was done with them as
of today which was my last pickup day of the quarter-- and asksed them
to come get their wheelie cart.

They said dit would be about 10 days until they could come get it and
told me to just leave it out by the curb. I told them a few days storage
was fine but a week and a half was not (ugly, smells bad, in the way,
neighbors unhappy, etc.) but they said 10 days was how long it's going
to take.

I guess at this point, I have several options (charging them $10 a day
rent to store their property on mine, escalating it to a supervisor,
calling the county zoning enforcement division and complaining of their
"litter" in my yard, etc.

I guess what I'm looking for here is the easiest way-- really don't want
to get into a ****ing contest over a stinkin' garbage can ...

Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red wrote:
[...]

Yeah, wait a week and it'll be gone...and, maybe find something worth
worrying about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

Hose it out and forget about 10 days. The trash company provided the can,
but you provided the stink. If you had bagged all of the trash or washed
out the can it would not stink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:05:21 -0500, Red wrote:

[...]

Put the container in the truck bed and take the damn back yourself.

Done!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Red
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Ask for a specific day, put in the back yard until then and not worry
about it.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

Pour a cup of bleach in it. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
[...]

Park it out back and then wheel it to the curb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

I'd put a free sign on it, Scotch Taped on there, and yes, leave it on the
curb. They will either come get it, or it will disappear on its own. Once
you have notified them, it's not your responsibility. You did what was
right by notifying them. Now, if you want to be a Ned Flanders about it
(Homer Simpson's wimpy neighbor), yes, take it on to your property and hold
the stinky mess until they decide to come get it. Or just let it sit out
there and be an eyesore. Read your contract carefully to make sure they
can't yank your chain if it goes missing, which might be what they want.
Ever think of that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
[...]

If you go to the trouble to **** them off you might be in a situation
where you find the new company is not worth keeping and then where will
you go for trash service?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Red" wrote in message
[...]

The trash hauler probably has a scheduled route for picking up their
containers. I see no reason to be ****y about waiting 10 days for the
pickup. I'd probably clean it, too...that isn't rocket science and the
user is the one who created the "stink".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote in message
Red wrote:
[...]

Charge them 50 dollars a day for storage and don't let them take it till
they pay up...HTH...hehehehehehe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I'd put a free sign on it, Scotch Taped on there, and yes, leave it
on the curb. They will either come get it, or it will disappear on
its own. Once you have notified them, it's not your responsibility.

Yes, it sill is for some period of time under the "due diligence" aspects of
the law. He should have notified them before the last day and started that
10 day clock ticking a week earlier. Putting it at the curb with a "free"
sign is negligence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Steve B wrote:

I'd put a free sign on it, Scotch Taped on there, and yes, leave it
on the curb. They will either come get it, or it will disappear on
its own. Once you have notified them, it's not your responsibility.

Yes, it sill is for some period of time under the "due diligence"
aspects of the law. He should have notified them before the last day
and started that 10 day clock ticking a week earlier. Putting it at
the curb with a "free" sign is negligence.

Well Red might be just being grumpy but in some areas if you leave your
trash can out more than a day beyond collection day they will fine you.

They did that in one area here because a bunch of lazy ass low lifes would
leave the can at the curb and pile trash in it and over the top. That way
they didn't have to haul the can out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
[...]

Ya, if you're so GD worried about it sitting there for 10 days, then PUT
IT IN YOUR PICKUP and take it to them. Jeeeezzzeee.... whiner....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2009 6:05 PM, Red wrote:
[...]

If I were you, I'd read the contract. If the contract requires you to wait a
period of time, you're stuck. You cannot unilaterally charge them a storage fee.
Doing so requires mutual assent, or a "meeting of the minds."

There could be some other terms and conditions in the contract that are not
favorable to the position you are threatening to take. Tread carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

I'd put a free sign on it, Scotch Taped on there, and yes, leave it
on the curb. They will either come get it, or it will disappear on
its own. Once you have notified them, it's not your responsibility.

Yes, it sill is for some period of time under the "due diligence" aspects
of the law. He should have notified them before the last day and started
that 10 day clock ticking a week earlier. Putting it at the curb with a
"free" sign is negligence.

Yer right, Ed. Bad suggestion. Strike that. I'd man up, wash it out, put
it next to my garage, let it sit for the time they said, and if two weeks
pass, I'd give them one more phone call and tell them that I was putting it
to the curb.

My bad.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote

If I were you, I'd read the contract. If the contract requires you to wait
period of time, you're stuck. You cannot unilaterally charge them a
storage fee.
Doing so requires mutual assent, or a "meeting of the minds."

There could be some other terms and conditions in the contract that are
not
favorable to the position you are threatening to take. Tread carefully.

Reply: good advice. If the OP has to wait two weeks, I'd shoot off a
registered letter NOW and tell them that according to their contract, they
have xx days to pick it up, and after that it is no longer his
responsibility. I somehow think, though, that they will be there sooner
than ten days. But maybe with the holidays, who knows.

Trash pickup is strange. Some friends we have in California have to buy
stickers at $2 each, and put them on trash bags no larger than a certain
size. They then have to take those sacks to the street - they live in the
hills and are away from the paved street. And if an animal has strewn the
trash, the guy will only take the time to grab the sack or what remains of
it. Sacks must be sealed around the top, and there are definitions of
"sealed". I have to take mine nearly 1/4 mile to the pickup point. Had to
plead big time to get a second one, as they only pick up once a week.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 6:05�pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Don't start with the new company until after the 10 days. Put it out
at the curb and put your trash in it. When they pick it up, they can
take the trash with it. If they dump the trash and don't take can, it
is their mistake not yours.

Doing it this way, you save money and all is good.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that it's never a good idea to "burn bridges" and
really irritate folks. Never know, the new company might be
worse. I've had that situation with cell phones. I swore I'd
never go back to Verizon. But, they do have the most
complete signal coverage. Sigh.

A spray of Clorox will help with the smelly toter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote in :

[...]

Contracts, due dilligence, registered letters, meeting of the minds, zoning
enforcement...geesh this is a trash can! Nobody gonna suggest taking
pictures, movie with witness putting out can or calling a lawyer for
advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

[...]

That's not quite accurate Roger.

The "stink" you refer to is coming from a bunch of wadded-up, fetid and
fermented paper towels. Seems my landscape crew discarded them in the
trash after drying their private parts following a stimulating hour long
session behind the garage with your wife.

They said she lured them back there with a crude promise of "caliente"
sex. And just so you know-- I'm a straight-up and OK guy. She offered me
a roll in the hay too-- but I flat turned her down.

As to the rest of y'all, thank you so much for the many helpful
suggestions....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 6:05*pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Upgrade your service from curbside pickup to the level where they come
to the house to get the can instead.

It's only one week, so it won't cost but pennies and you can leave the
can by the house.

BTW...If the odor is on your list of why you don't want to leave it by
the curb for 10 days, where do you normally keep it such that the
stench doesn't bother you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess at this point, I have several options (charging them $10 a day
rent to store their property on mine, escalating it to a supervisor,
calling the county zoning enforcement division and complaining of their
"litter" in my yard, etc.

I canceled my cable TV service. Then after two months they had not yet
refunded the money they owed me. (This did show on the closing statement
they sent me.)

So I marched into their office and there were about 10 people behind me by
the time I got to the head of the line... I then loudly informed them they
were late with my refund and I was charging them a late fee!

I said THEY charged me a late fee when I was late paying! So they should pay
me a late fee as well! (Everybody including those working there thought this
was great!)

I got my refund right then and there, but they of course said they couldn't
pay me a late fee. It was fun asking though and provided a bit of
entertainment for everyone...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 6:05*pm, Red wrote:

I ... really don't want
to get into a ****ing contest over a stinkin' garbage can ...

Then don't. Put it out by the curb and be done with it.

Any suggestions?

What has our society become? Neighbors who think an empty, closed
trash can set at the curb for a legitimate reason is an "eyesore" so
offensive that it requires calling in local law enforcement? A man so
vindictive that he is scrounging for ways to "get back" at the garbage
man for some perceived injustice?

If we all followed two simple rules, things would be a lot better for
everyone:

1. Let your wallet do the talking.
2. Mind your own business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

That's not quite accurate Roger.

The "stink" you refer to is coming from a bunch of wadded-up, fetid and
fermented paper towels. Seems my landscape crew discarded them in the
trash after drying their private parts following a stimulating hour long
session behind the garage with your wife.

They said she lured them back there with a crude promise of "caliente"
sex. And just so you know-- I'm a straight-up and OK guy. She offered me
a roll in the hay too-- but I flat turned her down.

She is already my ex-wife so she can roll in the hay with anyone she wants,
so if she offers again go for it.

But since it was your landscaping crew, it is still your stink.

Good by troll

PLUNK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

That's not quite accurate Roger.

The "stink" you refer to is coming from a bunch of wadded-up, fetid and
fermented paper towels. Seems my landscape crew discarded them in the
trash after drying their private parts following a stimulating hour long
session behind the garage with your wife.

They said she lured them back there with a crude promise of "caliente"
sex. And just so you know-- I'm a straight-up and OK guy. She offered me
a roll in the hay too-- but I flat turned her down.

She is already my ex-wife so she can roll in the hay with anyone she
wants,
so if she offers again go for it.

But since it was your landscaping crew, it is still your stink.

Good by troll

PLUNK

Good on you. What took you so long?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I was one of the first to respond to the OP and apparently the only
one he chose to attack for a serious reply to what appeared to be a real
question. His reply to me however shed light on his true nature.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

I must admit to getting a little ****y myself here at times. Sometimes it's
mood, sometimes it's medical.

But this IS a group to answer questions, and then it degenerates from there.

As in, "What's the best way to take out a Phillips screw?"

One or two answers and it's a done deal, yet it can go on for weeks.

Steve, who's New Year Resolution is to try to be more civil and OT

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote i

Steve, who's New Year Resolution is to try to be more civil and OT

Should be ON TOPIC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the
solvent.

I must admit to getting a little ****y myself here at times.
Sometimes it's mood, sometimes it's medical.

But this IS a group to answer questions, and then it degenerates from
there.

As in, "What's the best way to take out a Phillips screw?"

Well, the Phillips woman down the road a bit.....

One or two answers and it's a done deal, yet it can go on for weeks.

Steve, who's New Year Resolution is to try to be more civil and OT

INSPIRATION - Wood Hauler J T Woodworking 0 April 22nd 07 01:20 AM
Worm in a leather armchair. Auric the gold smuggler UK diy 4 January 12th 07 10:59 AM
HANGING ARMCHAIR J T Woodworking 0 September 21st 06 08:08 AM
Repaing Armchair rshepard at twodogs dot us Woodworking 6 September 5th 06 12:08 AM
NOT TOO OT - Got Another Wood Hauler J T Woodworking 30 March 25th 06 06:56 PM