Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Identifying a Programmable Thermostat

Some time ago, I posted my dilemma regarding identification of my programmable
thermostat for my heat pump. There were some helpful responses, but I still
don't know what can I have or how to tell whether it is one-stage, two-stage, or
whatever. The heat pump has emergency heat strips, if that helps. Otherwise,
here are two pictures of the one that I want to replace. They should be large
enough that you can tell the wire colors and such. If you can tell me what I
have, I'd very much appreciate it!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...20091223_3.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...20091223_4.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

That is a single stage condensing unit with heat strips. Whether it is
called a single or two stage is mostly semantics -- to me it would be a
single stage heat pump/ two stage system. If you are looking to replace
that Carrier you have, all you need is a HP stat for a system with aux
heat strips. Thermostats for actual two stage condensers are less common
and more expensive. Hope that didn't muddy up the waters more. Merry
Christmas to you and yours--- Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
That is a single stage condensing unit with heat strips. Whether it is
called a single or two stage is mostly semantics -- to me it would be a
single stage heat pump/ two stage system. If you are looking to replace
that Carrier you have, all you need is a HP stat for a system with aux
heat strips. Thermostats for actual two stage condensers are less common
and more expensive. Hope that didn't muddy up the waters more. Merry
Christmas to you and yours--- Larry

Yeah, it muddied them a little, but that's ok! The thermostat is not a Carrier,
although my downstairs unit is a Carrier and has an almost identical thermostat.
They're probably private labeled for Carrier.

What is an HP stat?

Merry Christmas to you, too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

That's the problem: I cannot find a brand name or model number on it anywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

I was mistaken. The name "TOTALINE" is embossed on the front cover, but I cannot
find a model number. There are some digits in several places, but none of them
resembles a model number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

Even more pictures:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture011.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture012.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture013.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture014.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture015.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 12:43*am, mcp6453 wrote:
Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged *Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

Even more pictures:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture015.jpg

Google that barcode number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 24, 12:31*am, mcp6453 wrote:
Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged *Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

I was mistaken. The name "TOTALINE" is embossed on the front cover, but I cannot
find a model number. There are some digits in several places, but none of them
resembles a model number.

I don't understand. I just Googled "Totaline" and the following came
up:

http://www.totaline.com/consumer/products.cfm

Totaline is a Carrier company, and they have the manuals online.
Where's the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

Even more pictures:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture015.jpg

Google that barcode number.

Good grief, you're right. It was right there in front of me the whole time. It's
a P274-1200.
http://www.totaline.com/dl/P274-1100...Thermostat.pdf

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are
shown. Those who do not see.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks for pointing that out. Duh.

Now, I still need to know which Honeywell thermostat will be the correct
replacement. Or, I'd be glad to buy another one of these, if I knew where to get
one at a reasonable price.

They're probably not in the office today, but I'll call Honeywell to see if they
can help me cross-reference this unit. I went through the manual for the
Honeywell RTH7500D, but I'm having trouble correlating some of the wire names.

Wires on this unit are labeled

O/W2*
Y1/W2**
Y/Y2
W/W1

Is Y1/W2** actually Y1, W2, or W2**? How is the terminal designation read?

The designations on the Honeywell unit are labeled

O/B
RC
AUX

R appears to be jumpered to RC.
AUX for a heat pump is the same as W2 for a conventional unit.
E for a heat pump is the same as Y2 for a conventional unit.

So here is where I am with this project. The wire on the left below is the
terminal on the existing Totaline thermostat. The terminals on the right are
where I think they would connect on the Honeywell. The question marks are the
wires that cause me to blow up my heat pump since I don't know where to connect
them. It seems that the wire designations on the Totaline unit line up more with
the conventional unit designations than with the heat pump ones, which is not
unbelievable since the thermostats can be used in both systems.

O/W2* --- O/B (or does it go to W?)
Y1/W2** -- W2/AUX
R -------- R or R/RC
G -------- G
Y/Y2 ----- Y or Y2/E
W/W1 ----- O/B (or does it go to W?)
C -------- C
??? ------ RC (jumpered to R?)

Thanks for working though this mess with me. I hope you see my dilemma. The
customer reviews indicate that the installation of the Honeywell unit is a snap.
Certainly the mechanical aspects are, but the electrical connections are
challenging, and I'm an electrical guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Identifying a Programmable Thermostat - UPDATE

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
HP stat just means heat pump thermostat. The one in the pic must be a
rebadged Carrier-- out of curiousity, what brand does it have on it?
Larry

Even more pictures:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture015.jpg

Google that barcode number.

Don't bother with the post above. The more I read, the more I learn. I'll post
back in a little while with my remaining dilemma in that I have found answers to
some of my questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is wrong with the thermostat you have now? Most thermostats that
are DIY replaced were not the cause of whatever problem the system was
having. If yours is indeed bad, how soon do you have to have one? I have
a new Carrier similar to yours that you can have if you can wait for the
USPS. Regardless, any new
thermostat should have a description of what each wire terminal is for.
Your wire colors, luckily, follow the standard color code. Red is the 24
volt hot, and sometimes has a Rh and Rc terminal that are supposed to be
jumpered together. ( h and c mean heat and cool respectively) Yellow
goes to the contactor in the outside unit, orange goes to the reversing,
aka switchover, valve outside. Green to the blower relay in the air
handler. White to the auxillary heat strips, and Blue or Black to
common. A lot of universal type thermostats have a "B" terminal as well
as a "C" or common. If so, do not use the "B" terminal. That is the most
common mistake people, including newbies in the trade, make in hooking
one up. Get back asap if you need this Carrier stat. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
[...]

Private email sent. Thanks for the offer.

The present thermostat just sits there and flashes on occasion. Most of the time
it works.

I found a very helpful tutorial at
http://www.prothermostats.com/articl...tistage/?id=10.
Now I understand most of the functions.

One thing is still not clear, though. The W wire on my thermostat is for the
auxiliary heat strips. Some thermostats have terminals for the auxiliary heating
relay (labeled "W2") and for the emergency heating relay (labeled "E"). If I
were connecting to such a thermostat, would the W wire connect to W2 on the new
thermostat? Would the E terminal remain unconnected?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for pointing that out. Duh.

Now, I still need to know which Honeywell thermostat will be the correct
replacement. Or, I'd be glad to buy another one of these, if I knew where
to get one at a reasonable price.

Save your money. Buy a $20 replacement, and you won't have your system
running all the times you don't need it to. It will pay for itself in the
first month. Programmable systems waste energy, no matter what anyone says.
Unless you are in an institution where things go the same every day, day in,
day out. Other than that, the best thermostat is you, and you know when to
turn it on and off.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lp1331 1p1331 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Is youa 'atat broke? If you get a Honeywell Vision Pro7500 or 8000(I
have this one) it'll mee your needs. Accompanying manual will tell you
what to do. 8000 has few models like 2 stage cooling/2 stage heating et.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Duh.

Now, I still need to know which Honeywell thermostat will be the correct
replacement. Or, I'd be glad to buy another one of these, if I knew where
to get one at a reasonable price.

Save your money. Buy a $20 replacement, and you won't have your system
running all the times you don't need it to. It will pay for itself in the
first month. Programmable systems waste energy, no matter what anyone says.
Unless you are in an institution where things go the same every day, day in,
day out. Other than that, the best thermostat is you, and you know when to
turn it on and off.

Steve

Hmmm,
Thermostat operator siting by it. Can't slep. can't go to work. Is that
you? All the research Honeywell did, government did, utility companies
did is for nothing? How programmable 'stat waste energy? Can you elaborate?