Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stairwell skylight with air grills/vents question

My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell
skylight simlilar to this:

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/ar...20skylight.jpg

What I noticed is around the base of the skylight are small permanent
vent grills that I guess is suppose to exhaust out air.
When I called a glass company to ask why the grills were there, he
said probably to let out carbon monoxide, which might be true since
this building at one time had gas lighting, I really don't know. But
what I wanted to know is there any reason why I can't seal these air
vents with like styrofoam or similiar to prevent any cold air coming
in. It's not cold in the building, I just thought this was an extra
measure I can take, but I don't know if these air grills serve a
purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell
skylight simlilar to this:

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/ar...20skylight.jpg

What I noticed is around the base of the skylight are small permanent
vent grills that I guess is suppose to exhaust out air.
When I called a glass company to ask why the grills were there, he
said probably to let out carbon monoxide, which might be true since
this building at one time had gas lighting, I really don't know. But
what I wanted to know is there any reason why I can't seal these air
vents with like styrofoam or similiar to prevent any cold air coming
in. It's not cold in the building, I just thought this was an extra
measure I can take, but I don't know if these air grills serve a
purpose.

Just a guess but I think they are to restrain falling material should the
glass be broken. Check with your city's building department before messing
with them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 5:46*am, Mikepier wrote:
My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell
skylight simlilar to this:

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/ar...20skylight.jpg

What I noticed is around the base *of the skylight are small permanent
vent grills that I guess is suppose to exhaust out air.
When I called a glass company to ask why the grills were there, he
said probably to let out carbon monoxide, which might be true since
this building at one time had gas lighting, I really don't know. But
what I wanted to know is there any reason why I can't seal these air
vents with like *styrofoam or similiar to prevent any cold air coming
in. It's not cold in the building, I just thought this was an extra
measure I can take, but I don't know if these air grills serve a
purpose.

If it was my building I would seal up the vents, build a wood frame of
1x2 pine around the bottom, below the with grate, and cover it all
with Plexiglass to save on heating. Most heat loss is up, heat rises,
with that uninsulated glass you are loosing hundereds of dollars a
year out the roof. Or get window film, it will help a bit but
plexiglass will do better
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 6:39*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

The metal grating? its to keep people equipment from ending up on the
lobby floor, I thought he meant a vent, either way single pane glass
roofing wastes alot of energy, its about R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell
skylight simlilar to this:

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/ar...20skylight.jpg

What I noticed is around the base of the skylight are small permanent
vent grills that I guess is suppose to exhaust out air.
When I called a glass company to ask why the grills were there, he
said probably to let out carbon monoxide, which might be true since
this building at one time had gas lighting, I really don't know. But
what I wanted to know is there any reason why I can't seal these air
vents with like styrofoam or similiar to prevent any cold air coming
in. It's not cold in the building, I just thought this was an extra
measure I can take, but I don't know if these air grills serve a
purpose.

Has Batman ever come crashing through your skylight?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The picture is not the actual skylight. I do not have the grating. The
grills are on perimeter base , you can only see them from the outside.
I tried googling an image, but that was the closest I turned up.
This might be a better picture.
http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/images/p...1152/p1152.jpg
Again, I have no grating, but the grills I have are all along the
perimeter of the base. This one does not have any obviously, but it
could have a vent under the cap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 9:03*am, Mikepier wrote:
The picture is not the actual skylight. I do not have the grating. The
grills are on perimeter base , you can only see them from the outside.
I tried googling an image, but that was the closest I turned up.
This might be a better picture.http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/images/p...1152/p1152.jpg
Again, I have no grating, but the grills I have are all along the
perimeter of the base. This one does not have any obviously, but it
could have a vent under the cap.

The vents might have some marginal benefit in the summer when the
weather is hot, if that applies to your location. Have you checked
whether there is a way to open and close them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 1:08*pm, Heathcliff wrote:
On Dec 16, 9:03*am, Mikepier wrote:

The picture is not the actual skylight. I do not have the grating. The
grills are on perimeter base , you can only see them from the outside.
I tried googling an image, but that was the closest I turned up.
This might be a better picture.http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/images/p...1152/p1152.jpg
Again, I have no grating, but the grills I have are all along the
perimeter of the base. This one does not have any obviously, but it
could have a vent under the cap.

The vents might have some marginal benefit in the summer when the
weather is hot, if that applies to your location. *Have you checked
whether there is a way to open and close them?

No, they are very thin grill slots, built into the fixture.