Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stairwell skylight with air grills/vents question

Mikepier wrote:
My Dad owns a 6 family apt building in Brooklyn and it has a stairwell
skylight simlilar to this:

http://www.joesnyc.streetnine.com/ar...20skylight.jpg

What I noticed is around the base of the skylight are small permanent
vent grills that I guess is suppose to exhaust out air.
When I called a glass company to ask why the grills were there, he
said probably to let out carbon monoxide, which might be true since
this building at one time had gas lighting, I really don't know. But
what I wanted to know is there any reason why I can't seal these air
vents with like styrofoam or similiar to prevent any cold air coming
in. It's not cold in the building, I just thought this was an extra
measure I can take, but I don't know if these air grills serve a
purpose.

Has Batman ever come crashing through your skylight?

TDD