Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Bill increasing

A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.
The power company came out and said everything is fine, and that they
should have someone check all the appliances.
Later they mentioned to me they had a lot of bulbs going out on a
regular basis. Many years ago a friend told me a power transformer
would/could be the cause of that. (the power company checked and
replaced the transformer and that solve their light bulb problem)

Could that be the case here as well, or should they check elsewhere.
BTW...this is a double-wide mobile home

thanks for your help!

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeL wrote in news:287f1460-68a9-4931-9bfe-
:

A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.
The power company came out and said everything is fine, and that they
should have someone check all the appliances.
Later they mentioned to me they had a lot of bulbs going out on a
regular basis. Many years ago a friend told me a power transformer
would/could be the cause of that. (the power company checked and
replaced the transformer and that solve their light bulb problem)

Could that be the case here as well, or should they check elsewhere.
BTW...this is a double-wide mobile home

thanks for your help!

Mike

How do the power rates compare from last year the same period?
How does the kW usage compare from last year the same period?

STOP: You need to know the above before you know if you even have a
problem.

What's changed around the home since last season? From two months ago?

Electric heaters added, stopped using a kero heater, lower temp from
vents (one of multiple furnace elements gone), lower airflow (hole in
ductwork)?

What kind of heat?

If electric, the first appliance to check might be the furnace although
my guess is two months ago furnace wasn't running much and now it is.

Other appliance can be checked with a Kill-o-Watt meter. Those can be
bought and sometimes borrowed. Ask the power company if they know of any
loner programs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MikeL wrote:
A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.
The power company came out and said everything is fine, and that they
should have someone check all the appliances.
Later they mentioned to me they had a lot of bulbs going out on a
regular basis. Many years ago a friend told me a power transformer
would/could be the cause of that. (the power company checked and
replaced the transformer and that solve their light bulb problem)

Could that be the case here as well, or should they check elsewhere.
BTW...this is a double-wide mobile home

thanks for your help!

Mike

It's a conspiracy by the government to force you to lower
your energy usage, unless you're part of The Royal Family.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MikeL" wrote in message
A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.

Was there a rate increase? Electric heating being used now?

Learn how to read an electric meter. Turn things off and see what it records
for an hour or day. Turn things on and see the difference.

Check for water leaks (like under house). If there is a well, it will run
more. A hot water leak will make the hot water heater run more. New TV's use
more electricity than old TV's.

The more "watts" something is, the more electricity it will use when on. A
100 watt light bulb uses 100 watts. A microwave can use 1000 watts. An
electric heater can use 1500 watts!

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right, to compare kilowatt usage. Sometimes power
companies estimate every other reading. And sometimes one
comes out low, other comes out high.

Other idea you didn't mention. Sometimes the wire between
the meter and the trailer leaks power. Turn off all the
breakers. Then, go out, look at the power meter. The meter
should be at dead stop. The older ones had a dial that goes
around. If the dial is moving, you may need a new lead-in
wire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

President Carter wants us all to put on a sweatter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

It's a conspiracy by the government to force you to lower
your energy usage, unless you're part of The Royal Family.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MikeL" wrote in message
A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.
The power company came out and said everything is fine, and that they
should have someone check all the appliances.
Later they mentioned to me they had a lot of bulbs going out on a
regular basis. Many years ago a friend told me a power transformer
would/could be the cause of that. (the power company checked and
replaced the transformer and that solve their light bulb problem)

Could that be the case here as well, or should they check elsewhere.
BTW...this is a double-wide mobile home

thanks for your help!

Mike

I had a similar problem about 10 years ago. Bulbs were not lasting long. I
used a digital voltmeter and found the power voltage to be just where it
should be. Then I check the following morning and found it to be 140 volts.
Seems like the electric company kicks up the voltage early in the morning as
industry comes on line and adjusts it along the way. They were putting it
up too high to fast. After I called, it never happened again, but a
transformer at the substation was also replaced. Can't say it affected my
use though.

Do not accept the power company's say so. You have the right to have the
meter checked. It was a big deal here a few years back and C L & P was
screwing customers. Do some research on the Hartford Courant and look for
George Gombossy''s consumer columns about it. He did quite a good job of
helping the customers.

Meantime, check things like the dryer vent for clogging, the oven left on
low and other dumb things that can also happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"MikeL" wrote in message
[...]

Things that can cause extended run cycles for normal appliances like are
prime suspects. Things like dusty refrigerator coils, clogged furnace
filters, etc.

An increase of $150/mo, assuming no change in electric rates, works out
to around a 1.38kW load assuming it is on 24x7 which is quite
significant. That is also around the size of typical electric space
heaters, so that is something to consider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

Aye, they gave me one of the new ones a few years back as well. Damn thing
just blinks and shows numbers, but ain't got no spinny wheel to give me a
visual of my consumption.

Those *******s!

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a similar thing occur about ten years ago. It turned out to be my
septic pump which was running continuously because of a defective
pressure switch. The pump is located at the bottom of an underground
tank which is about fifty feet from the house so I couldn't hear it.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 3:50*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...+electric+mete...

That won't work with mine. * Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. *[and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

Aye, they gave me one of the new ones a few years back as well. *Damn thing
just blinks and shows numbers, but ain't got no spinny wheel to give me a
visual of my consumption.

Those *******s!

Jon

Insufficient info to comment. A double wide suggests a living space of
around 1200 sq. feet. With maybe a porch or add on?

It would make sense to consider any major differences in occupancy or
life style between the two periods $250 versus $100) mentioned. Now
using electric heating?????

That difference of $150 suggests something of the order of 1,200
kilowatt hours or around 40 k.w hrs. per day. Roughly say anywhere
from $3.5 to $5 per day. That's quite significant. Same thing as some
15 to 20, 100 watt bulbs left on for a whole 24 hours!!!!! Or a lot of
hot water or heating use?

Our (monthly) power bill very conveniently compares the daily amount
with same period last year!
However that must be used with some care because sometimes that
monthly amount has sometimes been 'estimated'.
Since we are on a budget plan it doesn't make any difference to the
total amount we use use and pay for, but one cannot always compare
month to month.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
President Carter wants us all to put on a sweatter.

Remember back when the Carter administration wanted all federal
buildings to turn down their thermostats to 68F? The federal
employees in Hawaii were having to dress in long pants and sweaters
because the AC was running wide open to comply with the new orders.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...+electric+mete
r&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=eec9c32d20fe 6232

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come
up my driveway anymore]

Aye, they gave me one of the new ones a few years back as well. Damn
thing just blinks and shows numbers, but ain't got no spinny wheel to
give me a visual of my consumption.

Those *******s!

Jon

my meter(Orlando,Progress Energy) has the digital readout,is read by
short-range radio,and still has the spinning wheel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dehumidifiers also use a lot of power. And anything
refrigerated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

An increase of $150/mo, assuming no change in electric
rates, works out
to around a 1.38kW load assuming it is on 24x7 which is
quite
significant. That is also around the size of typical
electric space
heaters, so that is something to consider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, the memories. Years ago, at the Hill Cumorah
(Manchester, NY) the visitor center AC was under sized. They
kept the AC down in the sixties in case they got a tour bus.
Big load of hot people would spike the temp in a hurry. One
time I saw a couple of the sister missionaries in a side
room with sweatters, and a space heater running to take the
chill off. I just roll my eyes and wonder.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
President Carter wants us all to put on a sweatter.

Remember back when the Carter administration wanted all
federal
buildings to turn down their thermostats to 68F? The federal
employees in Hawaii were having to dress in long pants and
sweaters
because the AC was running wide open to comply with the new
orders.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:50:01 -0800, Jon Danniken wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

Aye, they gave me one of the new ones a few years back as well. Damn thing
just blinks and shows numbers, but ain't got no spinny wheel to give me a
visual of my consumption.

Our two* are like that, but there's also a little indicator that moves
left-right across the LCD display below the blinking numbers; I think this
moves across at a speed proportional to consumption, a bit like the older
spinning disc (but not as good :-)

* we've got one for the whole property, and another that just handles the
stuff that's under load control (heaters, dryer, water heater).

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 05:29:16 -0800, MikeL wrote:

A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.

Hmm, so coming into the colder months... makes it sound like some kind of
heating-related problem.

Any stuff (particularly heaters!) under load control? If so, maybe the
switchgear's jammed permanently on, or something's messed up such that
they're not getting a cheaper rate for the load-controlled devices (been
there, done that when we first moved into our place - took a couple of
bills to figure out what was going on and get the power company in to fix
it)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Dehumidifiers also use a lot of power. And anything
refrigerated.

*If* you have electric restive heat (not a heat pump), refrigerators,
ovens, lights and almost anything electric inside the house brakes even.
The energy they use is turned into heat and it helps heat the house.
Two big exceptions are a water heater, where most of the heat goes down
the drain, and a clothes dryer which blows the hot air outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
4:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/

#hl=en&source=hp&q=How+to+read+an+electric+mete
r&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=eec9c32d20fe 6232

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come
up my driveway anymore]

Aye, they gave me one of the new ones a few years back as well. Damn
thing just blinks and shows numbers, but ain't got no spinny wheel to
give me a visual of my consumption.

Those *******s!

Jon

my meter(Orlando,Progress Energy) has the digital readout,is read by
short-range radio,and still has the spinning wheel.

The spinning wheel is just there to pacify you. It does nothing but spin
randomly. Harbor Freight is the wheel assembly supplier :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

New TV's use
more electricity than old TV's.

Not quite true... LCD/LED versus the old CRT (tube) is quite a bit
more efficient. For a same sized screen, the LCD is less than 1/3 the
wattage. Since people are buying larger and larger screens, then you
have a point if they buy something at least 3 times as big as their
older tv set. But even if they go 5 times larger, they won't see a
skyrocketing electric bill.... just a bump.

I am leaning toward a big pump cycling somewhere, or electric heat.

One thing that made a huge difference in our house was to swap over to
the compact flourescent bulbs. They are fragile to take in/out of the
socket (can't give them any oomph) but compared to the cf bulbs from 5
years ago, these latest bulbs are 100 times better at cold starts, and
use about 1/7 the watts. I would definitely caution new users to use
safety glasses and not look up when installing. Even when I am
careful, about one in twenty times the damn bulb shatters from
handling... and then there is that little bit of mercury released
which you don't want to breath in.

Just have the vacuum cleaner handy and handle the bulb by the base as
much as possible.

It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us the best
bang for the buck without mercury!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2009 12:17, Pete C. wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Or it could be something you don't even suspect. Some friends bought a
house and after some time the electric bill mysteriously started
climbing. The first snowfall showed why. The snow on the sidewalk
melted. Prior to their occupancy someone had installed power out to the
garage in a nonsensical non-standard fashion as is often advocated here.
The cable was a few inches deep and a rock rubbed through the wire. Soil
there is damp because a stream is not far away. Current was flowing 24x7
keeping the sidewalk nice and warm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"MikeL" wrote in message
A friend of mine had a power bill of $100 / 2months ago and has been
increasing to now $250.

Was there a rate increase? Electric heating being used now?

How many neighbors have now tapped into your friends meter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

xparatrooper wrote:
It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us the best
bang for the buck without mercury!

Yes! No more mercury! We will change to LED's but we will buy the ones
from China and later find they emit deadly gamma rays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

All electric meters I've ever seen can be read. Ask your electric company
what those numbers mean. In some cases they cycle through date, time, and
several time periods of usage. But if you learn how to read this, it is easy
to understand.

Also you can get the make/model of the meter and search the internet for
documentation/instructions on it. This would be written somewhere. The
electric company need to know how these operate, so there would be
instructions somewhere by the manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

All electric meters I've ever seen can be read. Ask your electric company
what those numbers mean. In some cases they cycle through date, time, and
several time periods of usage. But if you learn how to read this, it is easy
to understand.

Weak attempt at humor there--- the numbers are labeled KWH.

I do miss the wheel that spins. There is a single arrow that blinks
on mine-- I should turn on the hot tub and see if it speeds up the
blink rate.

Also you can get the make/model of the meter and search the internet for
documentation/instructions on it. This would be written somewhere. The
electric company need to know how these operate, so there would be
instructions somewhere by the manufacturer.

It is a Schlumberger Centron unit - transmits a signal to somewhere.
I'd love to find a hack so I could read it from inside the house &
create my own usage graph.

Maybe someday I'll get around to it.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony wrote:

xparatrooper wrote:
It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us the best
bang for the buck without mercury!

Yes! No more mercury! We will change to LED's but we will buy the ones
from China and later find they emit deadly gamma rays.

With stuff from China that won't be a problem because of the high lead
levels.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does anyone wonder where mercury is, before it gets put in
the bulbs? Not like the make it out of nothing, you know.
Might be a chemically combined form that is less
troublesome.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
xparatrooper wrote:
It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us
the best
bang for the buck without mercury!

Yes! No more mercury! We will change to LED's but we will
buy the ones
from China and later find they emit deadly gamma rays.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Does anyone wonder where mercury is, before it gets put in
the bulbs? Not like the make it out of nothing, you know.
Might be a chemically combined form that is less
troublesome.

It's extracted from Tuna.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

xparatrooper wrote:
It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us the best
bang for the buck without mercury!

Yes! No more mercury! We will change to LED's but we will buy the ones
from China and later find they emit deadly gamma rays.

With stuff from China that won't be a problem because of the high lead
levels.

Will the lead shield us or kill us before the gamma rays? (I have to
plan ahead)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-
How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...c32d20fe623 2

That won't work with mine. Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. [and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

All electric meters I've ever seen can be read. Ask your electric company
what those numbers mean. In some cases they cycle through date, time, and
several time periods of usage. But if you learn how to read this, it is easy
to understand.

Weak attempt at humor there--- the numbers are labeled KWH.

I do miss the wheel that spins. There is a single arrow that blinks
on mine-- I should turn on the hot tub and see if it speeds up the
blink rate.

Did you peak at this?

http://www.griffmonster.com/miscella...r_reading.html

My new meter is almost the same, but it doesn't have the RF signal to
read. It also flashes some other numbers that the guy above doesn't
mention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 2:50*am, "Bill" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 07:45:19 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

-snip-

How to read an electric meter...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...+electric+mete...

That won't work with mine. * Mine doesn't have any dials-- just a
string of numbers. *[and the meter reader doesn't even have to come up
my driveway anymore]

All electric meters I've ever seen can be read. Ask your electric company
what those numbers mean. In some cases they cycle through date, time, and
several time periods of usage. But if you learn how to read this, it is easy
to understand.

Also you can get the make/model of the meter and search the internet for
documentation/instructions on it. This would be written somewhere. The
electric company need to know how these operate, so there would be
instructions somewhere by the manufacturer.

Some time back our electric company changed from a 'spinning disc'
meter (that had been there for some 40 years?) to a digital one.
Then again more recently they changed it again to another digital one
to be read wirelessly from their vehicle out in the road.
The hand held meter reader's unit appears to be very similar to those
hand held devices used in s.markets etc. for registering stock levels?
Spoke with 'meter reader' one day who said that he was finding it was
still not possible to read our meter from a distance and that he has
to approach to within 15 to 20 feet of our house, to get a reading?
Have no idea why; possible causes might include that we have a wifi
network to use use our laptops within the house, our house like most
in this area has metal conduit for the aerial service mast and into
the main fuse panel in basement. We have a layer of aluminum foil in
the outer walls ......................... The meter is where it has
always been, approx 80 feet from the road!
PS. The power company has been encouraging people to read and phone in
their own meter readings!!!!! It's the antithesis of why (like 50+
years ago) when meters were installed inside a home; it required
someone to be home to allow the meter reader in the house to read it!
Maybe one could buy a computer program to read meter ourselves
(electronically into our PC?) rather than going outside to jot down
the digital display number. Then again the power company could perhaps
read the meter at night etc. over the phone line and or internet?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

xparatrooper wrote:
It won't be too much longer and LED lighting will give us the best
bang for the buck without mercury!
Yes! No more mercury! We will change to LED's but we will buy the ones
from China and later find they emit deadly gamma rays.

With stuff from China that won't be a problem because of the high lead
levels.

Will the lead shield us or kill us before the gamma rays? (I have to
plan ahead)

The gamma rays would probably kill you quicker than the lead.
Although the gamma rays wouldn't have all the neato lead symptoms like
€ Poor coordination
€ Weakness in hands and feet
€ Headaches
€ Seizures
€ Paralysis
€ Coma
Interestingly they do seem to share some of the general symptoms
such as GI distress, etc.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.
If once, you've slept on an island.
Scott Kirby "If once you've slept on an island"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

xparatrooper wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a partial list of all the dope they push on TV ads.

Like Lunesta, surely worth a little exta sleep so you have time to deal
with:

you should not drive or operate machinery, insomnia worsens, walking,
eating, driving or engaging in other activities while asleep without
remembering it the next day, aggressiveness, agitation, hallucinations,
confusion, worsening of depression, risk of suicide, swelling of the
tongue and throat occur rarely and may be fatal, risk of dependency,
unpleasant taste, headache, morning drowsiness and dizziness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I do miss the wheel that spins. There is a single arrow that blinks
on mine-- I should turn on the hot tub and see if it speeds up the
blink rate.

Did you peak at this?

http://www.griffmonster.com/miscella...r_reading.html

Yeah- mine's close, but only has one blinking upside-down triangle. It
was blinking fairly slowly this morning.

My new meter is almost the same, but it doesn't have the RF signal to
read. It also flashes some other numbers that the guy above doesn't
mention.

That's kind of odd. Wonder what the other numbers could be. Does
load change the numbers?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Tony wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I do miss the wheel that spins. There is a single arrow that blinks
on mine-- I should turn on the hot tub and see if it speeds up the
blink rate.

Did you peak at this?

http://www.griffmonster.com/miscella...r_reading.html

Yeah- mine's close, but only has one blinking upside-down triangle. It
was blinking fairly slowly this morning.

My new meter is almost the same, but it doesn't have the RF signal to
read. It also flashes some other numbers that the guy above doesn't
mention.

That's kind of odd. Wonder what the other numbers could be. Does
load change the numbers?

I think the one number may be the KW/H I am using at that second. There
is a second number that flashed also. I'm now wondering if I caught it
when a little heater was cycling on and off and that was the reason for
the second number. It may have still been the KW/H ? I had just
checked it a little while ago and the three dashes stayed on 1 dash for
a few minutes. I had about 6 13 watt CFLs on and I don't know if
anything else like the refrigerator, water heater,... was on. I suppose
not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does anyone wonder where mercury is, before it gets put in
the bulbs? Not like the make it out of nothing, you know.
Might be a chemically combined form that is less
troublesome.

Last time I checked, many years ago, the main source of mercury was its
sulfide ore, cinnabar. I imagine cinnabar and other mercury ores are safe
unless one eats them, or heats them to high temperatures that cause the
mercury compounds to break down and release mercury vapor.

- Don Klipstein )

Increasing Humidity t Woodworking 13 October 31st 08 11:34 PM
Increasing roof insulation Martin Pentreath UK diy 11 August 25th 07 01:54 PM
Increasing the Radiator Temp Gramps UK diy 6 January 4th 07 06:04 PM
boiler pressure increasing [email protected] UK diy 3 October 6th 06 12:09 PM
Boiler pressure increasing Bart C UK diy 7 April 4th 06 09:48 PM