Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Increasing the Radiator Temp

OK I have had all my radiators off and flushed them out and what a mess
they where.I've ran the system for 5 weeks with sludge remover
in.Drained it off with no sign of sludge and replaced my old pump,Wilo
50 with Grundfoss 16-50.Noticed that 3 of the rads flow was through the
LSV so I have replaced all of my TRV with bidirectional ones and set
them accordingly.I've balanced the system as best I can and have got
all the rads to about the same temp.Pump is set on speed 2.
The thing is the rads are hot but don't really warm the room up and I
now have one rad that needs bleeding at least once a week.I've still
got fernox superconcentrate to put in and I could turn the pump speed
up but is this the answer.
Any help would be appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gramps formulated the question :
The thing is the rads are hot but don't really warm the room up and I
now have one rad that needs bleeding at least once a week.I've

Well if they are hot, they are hot - you cannot really expect much more
than that. Having to bleed regularly after refilling for a while is
normal, its is just the dissolved air coming out of the water. The
quantity of air should gradually decline over time.

Running with too high a flow from the pup could actually draw air in,
if it is not a sealed system.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Gramps" wrote:
OK I have had all my radiators off and flushed them out and what a mess
they where.I've ran the system for 5 weeks with sludge remover
in.Drained it off with no sign of sludge and replaced my old pump,Wilo
50 with Grundfoss 16-50.Noticed that 3 of the rads flow was through the
LSV so I have replaced all of my TRV with bidirectional ones and set
them accordingly.I've balanced the system as best I can and have got
all the rads to about the same temp.Pump is set on speed 2.
The thing is the rads are hot but don't really warm the room up and I
now have one rad that needs bleeding at least once a week.I've still
got fernox superconcentrate to put in and I could turn the pump speed
up but is this the answer.
Any help would be appreciated

The water temp should be about 65 degrees going in and about 50 to 55
degrees going out of each rad. I think that 65 degrees is about as hot as
you can get on the supply side. You say that you balanced the system as best
you can, did you use an infrared thermometer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I didn't use a thermometer,they all feel(by touch)about the same
temp.It is really wether there is any thing more I can do.Would
investing in a infared thermometer make much difference.Increasing the
pump speed according to Harry might add more air to the system.There is
a little bit more I can turn up the boiler temp or should I be happy
with at least all my rads are "hot" and just add the fernox.
Thanks
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Gramps" wrote:
No I didn't use a thermometer,they all feel(by touch)about the same
temp.It is really wether there is any thing more I can do.Would
investing in a infared thermometer make much difference.Increasing the
pump speed according to Harry might add more air to the system.There is
a little bit more I can turn up the boiler temp or should I be happy
with at least all my rads are "hot" and just add the fernox.
Thanks
Brian

Sounds like guesswork to me. The only way of knowing for sure whether the
radiators are balanced is to use a thermometer. I used one of these:
http://www.corgi-direct.com/product.aspx?cID=865

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gramps wrote:

No I didn't use a thermometer,they all feel(by touch)about the same
temp.It is really wether there is any thing more I can do.Would
investing in a infared thermometer make much difference.Increasing the
pump speed according to Harry might add more air to the system.There is
a little bit more I can turn up the boiler temp or should I be happy
with at least all my rads are "hot" and just add the fernox.
Thanks
Brian

The thermostat on the boiler controls water circulating temp.
Balancing rads is not about getting rad temps equal, but about getting
room temps equal. Those are easy to measure. (Or unequal if you want.)

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:33:12 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

Gramps wrote:

No I didn't use a thermometer,they all feel(by touch)about the same
temp.It is really wether there is any thing more I can do.Would
investing in a infared thermometer make much difference.Increasing the
pump speed according to Harry might add more air to the system.There is
a little bit more I can turn up the boiler temp or should I be happy
with at least all my rads are "hot" and just add the fernox.
Thanks
Brian

The thermostat on the boiler controls water circulating temp.
Balancing rads is not about getting rad temps equal, but about getting
room temps equal. Those are easy to measure. (Or unequal if you want.)

Sorry to disagree the purpose of balancing IS to make the radiators all
more or less the same temperature.
It's the purpose of the TRVs to prevent rooms form getting over heated. So
that they are at the required temp which may or may not be the same temp in
each room.