Posted to alt.home.repair

Default burned fluoscent sockets

any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 5:59*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

I know why but I dont know what to do about it. When the bulb goes bad
it keeps trying to start unsuccessfully and eventual burns the sockets
out. The bulbs must get reallly hot when they do this because we have
some with colored filters on them and the filters have actually caught
fire a few time and melted several others.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael Dobony" wrote in message
any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

Lamps probably aren't making good contact. Often when bulb sleeves are used,
the end caps cause this to happen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 4:59*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

Made in China, at building 975,230 with the wrong steel, to save
00000.1c
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 11, 4:59*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

Problem may be fixture with spacing between sockets too wide. High
operating temperatures and corrosive atmospheres could contribute.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Dec 11, 4:59 pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
any ideas on why 8 foot HO fluorescent sockets would keep burning out? The
sockets are Leviton no. 524 and 523.

Problem may be fixture with spacing between sockets too wide. High
operating temperatures and corrosive atmospheres could contribute.

Joe

I had some old/new (NOS) bulbs where the terminals were a little
corroded. They could cause the same problem, but I cleaned them before
installing them.