Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default A new thing to worry about

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet, in
my shower?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
Powering Your Switch
Connect the supplied AC adapter to 12VDC/100mA
on the back of the switch. Then, plug the other end of the
adapter into a standard AC outlet. The power turns on.

Note: To avoid injury, do not connect the adapter to a
ceiling outlet.

My gosh! A new thing to worry about.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet, in
my shower?

Go ahead. I won't tell! ;-)

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Hi!

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet, in
my shower?

Learn more about Jesus

Well, you *can* but I suspect that you might end up doing a really
good job of learning more about Jesus. If you don't meet him, you
might say his name a few times rather loudly.

Sorry. I'll stop now. :-)

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Life is looking up, for me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet,
in
my shower?

Go ahead. I won't tell! ;-)

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Life is looking up, for me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet,
in
my shower?

Go ahead. I won't tell! ;-)

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:04:04 -0800 (PST), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet, in
my shower?

Learn more about Jesus

Well, you *can* but I suspect that you might end up doing a really
good job of learning more about Jesus. If you don't meet him, you
might say his name a few times rather loudly.

Sorry. I'll stop now. :-)

William

LMAO!

He's been screaming Jesus here for years!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 14:04:04 -0800 (PST), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet,
in
my shower?

Learn more about Jesus

Well, you *can* but I suspect that you might end up doing a
really
good job of learning more about Jesus. If you don't meet
him, you
might say his name a few times rather loudly.

Sorry. I'll stop now. :-)

William

LMAO!

He's been screaming Jesus here for years!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

You funny! (Funny because there is a LOT of truth in what
you write.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Hi!

Oh, that means I can't install it in the ceiling outlet,
in
my shower?

Learn more about Jesus

Well, you *can* but I suspect that you might end up doing a
really
good job of learning more about Jesus. If you don't meet
him, you
might say his name a few times rather loudly.

Sorry. I'll stop now. :-)

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2009 5:14 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

Are you saying that's how Jesus would've done it?

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 12/9/2009 5:14 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which breaker
connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a six or so inch
length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an inch of each end stripped.
Often with the ends gently pounded flat.

Are you saying that's how Jesus would've done it?

NO, You yell out Jesus when the fire flies.
Also a good way to meet Him.

Maybe safer to get a couple of high current devices such as two hair dryers
and turn one on and then the other.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

Hey! You stealing my material again?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Haier central a/c condensing units --made in China--have a little
warning sticker in them that I get a good chuckle out of. They have a
little circuit board that is a time delay to prevent short cycling which
they refer to as a PCB, and they refer to the 24 volt thermostat wires
as"communication wires" The sticker says "Make sure that the
communication wires are not hooked up to the line voltage or it will
cause the PCB to be out of work" Larry

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Not sure. I'm unable to find that mentioned in any of the
scriptures. More likely that's the exclaimation heard from
the electrician.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 12/9/2009 5:14 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out
which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

Are you saying that's how Jesus would've done it?

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands.
I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy
neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

I've suggested the double hair dryer, but I've never seen it
done in practice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

NO, You yell out Jesus when the fire flies.
Also a good way to meet Him.

Maybe safer to get a couple of high current devices such as
two hair dryers
and turn one on and then the other.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Was that you I saw, coming down from the cloud, after the
bright red flash? Surrounded by a herd of ministering
electricians?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out
which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

Hey! You stealing my material again?

TDD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Was that you I saw, coming down from the cloud, after the
bright red flash? Surrounded by a herd of ministering
electricians?

Me? Now you know very well that I came from the other direction.

TDD
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Hail, Satan!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Was that you I saw, coming down from the cloud, after the
bright red flash? Surrounded by a herd of ministering
electricians?

Me? Now you know very well that I came from the other
direction.

TDD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hail, Satan!

HISSSSSSSSSS! I'm evil.

TDD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which
breaker connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a
six or so inch length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an
inch of each end stripped. Often with the ends gently
pounded flat.

I used to fly sailplanes. Because these non-powered aircraft sometimes
land away from the airport, they're designed to be broken down into
pieces so they can be loaded on a trailer. Part of every preflight
inspection was examining the removable pins that held the wings on,
which everyone referred to as "Jesus pins."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
And, and also learned the Jesus Method of finding out which breaker
connects to a certain electrical outlet. requiring a six or so inch
length of 12 or 14 gage wire, with about an inch of each end stripped.
Often with the ends gently pounded flat.

I used to fly sailplanes. Because these non-powered aircraft sometimes
land away from the airport, they're designed to be broken down into
pieces so they can be loaded on a trailer. Part of every preflight
inspection was examining the removable pins that held the wings on,
which everyone referred to as "Jesus pins."

As a broadcast engineer working around large tube type transmitters,
one has to be mindful of residual high voltage in the equipment.
There is always an insulated pole with a metal hook and grounding
conductor attached that is used to discharge any dangerous stray
current. It's called a "Jesus Stick". The things can also be seen
hanging around any high voltage equipment facilities.

TDD
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

I can imagine that. Thanks for sharing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Brodbeck" wrote in message

I used to fly sailplanes. Because these non-powered
aircraft sometimes
land away from the airport, they're designed to be broken
down into
pieces so they can be loaded on a trailer. Part of every
preflight
inspection was examining the removable pins that held the
wings on,
which everyone referred to as "Jesus pins."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I worked in brodcasting for decades and never heard it called that.
Also, I only saw them in small transmitters. I've been inside some big
transmitters, including the 500KW WLW transmitter. The only TV
transmitter I saw with a shorting stick was 500 watts. The 195 KW UHF
transmitters would either vaporize a shorting stick, or destroy the HV
supply.

Have you ever been inside one of the Harris solid state AAM
transmitters with a high current 300 volt DC power supply? It will kill
you just as fast as any tube transmitter.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

NO EXCREMENT?! I was out in the Marshall Islands 20 years ago and
got to explore the old phased array radar installation on Meck
island at the Kwajalein Atoll. I think it had two power supplies
at one time but there was one left in what was called the Frankenstein
room, an incredible contraption that looked like the set of a monster
movie. I wish I still had pictures, darn. There were Jesus sticks
hanging all over that place. You did notice that I wrote "stray
current"? You probably got into the field after the advent of
Affirmative Action when dangerous items had to be hidden away from
quota hires because of the death and destruction they were capable
of. "Hey, what's this big red thing for?" Here's a picture of the
outside of the building, I wish I had a picture of the interior.

http://www.smdc.army.mil/smdcphoto_g...MeckIsland.jpg

TDD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I saw the first in the late '60s.

If you want to see an impressive power supply, visit WLW in
Cincinnati, Ohio. The transmitter has multiple, large plate
transformers to supply the transmitter.

We had a pair of 2 MW Westinghouse RADAR systems at Ft Rucker in the
early '70s across the hall from the Weathervision office. A lot of
transmitters drop the plate relays when any interlock trips. It shuts
down the incoming AC line to the HV power supply, which is quickly
dissipated through the final tube or tubes. Permanent sets of bleeder
resistors keep the dielectric from recovering any voltage

There was nothing Affirmative Action at the stations i worked at.
The TV transmitters at the AFRTS station I worked at was six feet from
the control console, the processing racks directly behind the operator,
and the film chain was next to the proc racks. No video tape and all in
beautiful B&W.

Several radio stations had the transmitter in the control room, from
the days when someone with a FCC ticket was required to be there while
they were on the air. The only TV transmitter that was in a separate
room was at the WACX transmitter site in Orange City. That wasn't to
keep people away, but for the noise and cooling requirements. The small
service area was in a room off the transmitter room, where you could
barely hear what you were working on. That was a mid '80s Comark with
three 65 KW Klystrons. I don't know if they modified it for DTV, or
replaced it, since I haven't been to that site in 20 years.

One station I consulted with has their transmitter in the hallway
leading to the studios. An old 5 KW Gates, from the '50s. A couple
relay racks next to it hold the antenna and power controls for day &
night power and pattern controls. A real outdated mess, but like many
small stations, the owners believe that they can't afford to replace it.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Did being that close to them make you sterile? *snicker*
I knew this one freak who bragged about aiming his radar
dish at the passing natives when he was in Nam. His goal
was to cook their gonads. I wish I had been able to get
into the deep space tracking radar when I was out at the
missile range back in 88. One of the guys told me that it
used a TWT setup and ran at upwards of 8 megawatts on VHF.
When there was a mission going on, we were prohibited
from using the VHF marine radio on the crew boat. It was
amazing to see that huge dish move. I found a pictu

http://tinyurl.com/ybqbbz4

If you zoom in on the right side of this image you can see
the big dish from a satellite:

http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/12134

Geez! I wish I could get back out there, I loved it. It
was an amazing place.

TDD

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Even the outside of the building looks sinister.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
David Brodbeck wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[presents]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

TWT on VHF? VHF is 30 to 300 MHz and TWT are typically built for 300
MHz up which would put it in the 300 to 3000 MHz UHF range.

My bad, that ALTAIR installation is a wide band radar with what I assume
are multiple feeds. I really wish I knew more about it and had been able
to get in and see the operation. It's been 20 years and I remember the
fellow I spoke with telling me of the enormous power of the darn thing.
I do specifically remember being told that it used VHF frequencies in
some modes. There is a story of it being aimed at a Russian trawler that
hung around the islands. The tale speaks of the power being ramped up
until smoke came out of the boat which made a quick exit from the area.

That would be hard to do at HF or VHF since you can't focus the RF
into a tight beam at those frequencies, compared to a couple degrees or
less at microwave frequencies.

Have you seen the big dishes used by NOAA for their LEO wearther
satellites? I worked on the turnkey upgrade for their Wallops Island
installation that was built by Microdyne. It replaced a 20 year old
Harris microowave system and had to control their 100 foot dishes.

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/brs/spind10.htm has a few pictures.

We also built the pair of tracking stations for the European Space
Agency. One fixed site, and the other mobile.

You obviously have had more experience with neater and higher power
stuff than I've had. Is it OK if I envy you? *snicker*

If you must, but I just like to trade war stories about equipment
that would make newbie techs retch or fill their drawers when they see
the size and the hazards involved. The sheer look of terror on their
faces is priceless! Like me standing on the HV power supply inside a
VHF high band TV transmitter so I can adjust the interstage coupling
while the station is on the air. The end of the cabinet was removed,
since it didn't have any interlocks, and i was standing on one of the
transformers. It was either do it that way, or spend days removing the
rear door, making a small adjustment, replacing the rear door then
firing it up to find it still had too much ripple in the video
bandwidth, shutting it down and starting over.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!