Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding
Jim Jim is offline

Default Proper working Anvil Height

Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

On 12/08/2009 02:27 PM, Jim wrote:
Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

You can find information on this on google, but it seems like for
blacksmithing they usually go between wrist and knuckle height.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

On 2009-12-08, Jim nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

The top should be at the level of your knuckles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding
Jim Jim is offline

Default Proper working Anvil Height Thank you

On 2009-12-08, Jim nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

The top should be at the level of your knuckles.

Thanks...now I know... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding
dpb dpb is offline

Jim wrote:
Thanks...now I know... Jim

You'll know when you've used it enough to tell if that's the right
position for you and your work.

Certainly it's a reasonable starting point and you may end up there but
time'll tell...

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

On 2009-12-08, Jim nospam@wherever wrote:
Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

The top should be at the level of your knuckles.

I got the bottom of mine even with the ground. It was half sunk into the
ground when I got it.

Fran

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

It actually depends a lot on the work you do - and that's one reason
folks end up with more than one anvil at more than one height. Leave it
easily adjustable until you've figured out what works best for you and
your usual work.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

In sci.engr.joining.welding Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the
proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would
have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal height it should be
set at to get an optimum swing with a peening hammer and still save your
back... Thanks... Jim

It actually depends a lot on the work you do - and that's one reason
folks end up with more than one anvil at more than one height. Leave it
easily adjustable until you've figured out what works best for you and
your usual work.

Yep. And what most people don't realize is the knuckle height advice that
is passed along is for an anvil that will be used with strikers. As in
people using what looks like a sledge hammer with about a 3' handle on it.
Set it for that height and use a normal 2 or 3 pound hammer and you are
going to be hunched over your anvil. Not good for your back.

I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground. My back is straight. This way I hit with the most power without
pulling my body out of line or having to bend over.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

I'm not a blacksmith but that sure sounds like better advice than the
knuckles height. I would have guessed that you want it 3" to 4" lower
than your elbow when used with a 2-1/2pound hammer.

Yep. And what most people don't realize is the knuckle height advice that
is passed along is for an anvil that will be used with strikers. As in
people using what looks like a sledge hammer with about a 3' handle on it.
Set it for that height and use a normal 2 or 3 pound hammer and you are
going to be hunched over your anvil. Not good for your back.

I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground. My back is straight. This way I hit with the most power without
pulling my body out of line or having to bend over.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Todd Rich" wrote

Yep. And what most people don't realize is the knuckle height advice that
is passed along is for an anvil that will be used with strikers. As in
people using what looks like a sledge hammer with about a 3' handle on it.
Set it for that height and use a normal 2 or 3 pound hammer and you are
going to be hunched over your anvil. Not good for your back.

I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground. My back is straight. This way I hit with the most power without
pulling my body out of line or having to bend over.

I've never hit an anvil, but your description sounds like it would be pretty
accurate to me. I have noticed, however, in old videos of men working with
anvils, particularly farriers, that they have a slight bend in their backs,
raising up with a straight back to cock the hammer, then after coming down
and striking the metal, there is just a very slight forward curve. I'd look
at some old pictures, or videos. I'd also make the height adjustable,
because I don't believe one size fits all if one is going to be doing many
different things on the anvil.

My $.02 for free, and well worth it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Steve B" wrote in message

at some old pictures, or videos. I'd also make the height adjustable,
because I don't believe one size fits all if one is going to be doing many
different things on the anvil.

like putting attachments into the square hole of the anvil whichever one it
is hardee or prichel

Fran

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Dec 9, 2:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
*I'd also make the height adjustable,
because I don't believe one size fits all if one is going to be doing many
different things on the anvil.

I've never used one before either, but my first thought is to mount
the anvil as solidly as possible at the highest height you might need
it and maybe use a stackable/adjustable platform to stand on. But of
course if you're doing something where you're walking back and forth
to the anvil a lot that could be annoying.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Todd Rich" wrote: (clip) I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to
the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is logical, but it leaves out the thickness of the work and/or the
height of any anvil inserts. I have used anvils a lot, and I don't think
it's all that critical. A few inches one way or the other probably make
little difference. If it did, carpenters wouldn't be able to drive nails
where and how they do.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Todd Rich" wrote: (clip) I set my anvil so my hammer face is parallel to
the anvil face with my
elbow directly below my shoulder and my forearm about parallel to the
ground. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is logical, but it leaves out the thickness of the work and/or the
height of any anvil inserts. I have used anvils a lot, and I don't think
it's all that critical. A few inches one way or the other probably make
little difference. If it did, carpenters wouldn't be able to drive nails
where and how they do.

Working at height without ladders John Stumbles UK diy 15 October 12th 09 06:45 PM
Proper Lathe Height Bernie Hunt Woodturning 10 October 7th 05 05:21 PM
anvil John G UK diy 12 February 9th 05 09:31 PM
Lathe working height Brian Lawson Metalworking 7 December 7th 03 07:52 PM
[ml] Lathe working height Bernd Metalworking 0 November 28th 03 02:04 PM