Posted to alt.home.repair

Default we have tivo (3yrs), contract ending; also cablevison/optonline; THEY have tivoish thing. To do?

Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
.. Renew tivo?
.. Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 5:09*pm, (David Combs) wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

* (tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

* tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do? *
. *Renew tivo?
. *Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

Compared to the user friendly features of the Tivo the Cablevision DVR
sucks big time. The channel guide is inferior, very limited info
shown, no concept of season pass, no ability to record based on wish
lists using actors, subjects, etc. I can only wonder if Tivo has
patents that prevent other companies from copying their features.

Only possible advantage to Cablevision would be if the Tivo you have
is not HD. You can try out the Cablevision piece of crap for a
month for $10 and then take it back. Since you already have the Tivo
and Cablevision charges $10 a month, either a lifetime Tivo
subscription or paying Tivo by the month is going to work out about
the same for you in cost as the piece of crap from Cablevision
Posted to alt.home.repair

go to http://www.110220volts.com/DVDRecord...ion+Free).html
website and get a dvr. it will pay for itself. dvr's are pretty much
not available in department stores due to the cable and satellite
companies coming out with their own and charging you monthly for them.

over seas they are huge........

good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 6:14*pm, flir67 wrote:
go to * * *http://www.110220volts.com/DVDRecord...ecorders+(Regi...
website and get a dvr. it will pay for itself. dvr's are pretty much
not available in department stores due to the cable and satellite
companies coming out with their own and charging you monthly for them.

over seas they are huge........

good luck

If you read the post, the guy already owns a Tivo DVR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Dec 2009 17:09:51 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

Check into a HDD/DVD recorder that has a free built in EPG.

The EPG (electronic program guide) allows a easy way to record
similar to TIVO but FREE!!!!

This web page explains how the most popular EPG works.
TVGOS (TV Guide on Screen Programming)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fSIYHJu...me/tvgos2.html

Use this start page to search for different recorders with
a HDD (hard disc drive) You'll have to read the specs of the
specific recorder to see if it has a EPG function built in.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 7, 6:14 pm, flir67 wrote:
go to
http://www.110220volts.com/DVDRecord...ecorders+(Regi...
website and get a dvr. it will pay for itself. dvr's are pretty much
not available in department stores due to the cable and satellite
companies coming out with their own and charging you monthly for them.

over seas they are huge........

good luck

If you read the post, the guy already owns a Tivo DVR.

Unless it is one of the old series 1 units, it won't work without a
subscription. I wasted 20 bucks on a series 2 at a garage sale before I
found that out. One of these days I'll rip the hard drive out of it and
reformat it- it ain't worth putting on ebay, judging by the prices they
go for. Damn shame, it is in perfect condition, and I hate parting out
good equipment.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
. Renew tivo?
. Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

I get similar functionality with the free MythTV software on a Linux server.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 10:56�pm, cjt wrote:
David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

� (tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

� tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do? �
. �Renew tivo?
. �Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

I get similar functionality with the free MythTV software on a Linux server.- Hide quoted text -

dish charges just 5 bucks\ DVR fee a month per receiver that outputs 2
different channels at once........

has convenient commercial SKIP button
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
. Renew tivo?
. Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

I added TV tuners to a PC and used BeyondTV software for a multi tuner PVR with
a huge harddrive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 3:13�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

�(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

�tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
. �Renew tivo?
. �Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

I added TV tuners to a PC and used BeyondTV software for a multi tuner PVR with
a huge harddrive.- Hide quoted text -

OP could buy a lifetime TIVO service contract. last I heard they were
available again

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
. Renew tivo?
. Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

If you don't need true HD quality and don't mind looking up program schedules
and manually setting the station, date and times to record, I've been very
pleased with the Magnavox H2160MW9A HDD and DVD recorder/player. It has a built
in ATSC tuner (without TV Guide on Screen Capability) and if you use an HDMI
connection to your HDTV, the playback of both the HD and DVD drives is
up-converted to 1080i. The 160GB HD enables 60 hrs of recording in the next to
the best quality of 6 recording quality choices. You can pause a live broadcast
and resume as with a TiVo and record a broadcast simultaneously with watching
the playback of a program you previously recorded. You can record up to 36
separate programs for up to 1 month in advance. It sells for about $225 at
Walmart, somewhat more at Target. As mentioned by another poster, these types
of devices are not advertised and very few outlets sell them. I've been using
mine almost daily since it arrived about 2 mos ago, fed by my rooftop antenna,
and it has worked flawlessly with both HD and DVD recordings. No monthly
subscription needed.