Posted to alt.home.repair
Retirednoguilt Retirednoguilt is offline

Default we have tivo (3yrs), contract ending; also cablevison/optonline;THEY have tivoish thing. To do?

David Combs wrote:
Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with
optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do?
. Renew tivo?
. Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this
choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

If you don't need true HD quality and don't mind looking up program schedules
and manually setting the station, date and times to record, I've been very
pleased with the Magnavox H2160MW9A HDD and DVD recorder/player. It has a built
in ATSC tuner (without TV Guide on Screen Capability) and if you use an HDMI
connection to your HDTV, the playback of both the HD and DVD drives is
up-converted to 1080i. The 160GB HD enables 60 hrs of recording in the next to
the best quality of 6 recording quality choices. You can pause a live broadcast
and resume as with a TiVo and record a broadcast simultaneously with watching
the playback of a program you previously recorded. You can record up to 36
separate programs for up to 1 month in advance. It sells for about $225 at
Walmart, somewhat more at Target. As mentioned by another poster, these types
of devices are not advertised and very few outlets sell them. I've been using
mine almost daily since it arrived about 2 mos ago, fed by my rooftop antenna,
and it has worked flawlessly with both HD and DVD recordings. No monthly
subscription needed.