Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

I'm 3/4 of the way through a DIY refinish (interior) of 11 wood frame
windows and 8 wood door frames. The reason is wall paint over-paint on the
unpainted (stained / poly / varnish) wood frames.

I'm using the harbor Freight Multi Tool. The tool has performed well, with
the exception of the Velcro sanding pad (the foam pad, not the sand
paper). The plastic hooks are now so worn that the felt backed sandpaper
pads no longer stick. The hooks have broken off little by little.

Trouble is, Harbor Freight doesn't sell that part (product #65700 or
67256) part #502). At least not in my local store, nor is it listed in
their website.

I found these on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR

Anyone know if they will work on the HF tool? Is the mounting hole and
sandpaper size the same?

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

salty wrote:
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:28:33 -0500, Tony Sivori
wrote:
Trouble is, Harbor Freight doesn't sell that part (product #65700 or
67256) part #502). At least not in my local store, nor is it listed in
their website.

I found these on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR

Anyone know if they will work on the HF tool? Is the mounting hole and
sandpaper size the same?


For about the same price as that, Harbor Fright has a complete palm
sander

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98622


It might work, if the pad is think enough. I'll check it out. I need a
fairly thick pad because not all of the surfaces are flat

The attachment system on the Fein is quite different from the Harbor
Fright version. I doubt it would be adaptable. The HB unit needs the
mounting hole deeply recessed, among other issues. Maybe you could slice
off the old hooks, or grind them smooth, and glue on some new ones made
from a few strips of standard velcro.


Excellent idea! I'm looking at the HF pad, and the hook and loop surface
will cleanly peel off from the foam. All I'll need to do is find an
adhesive backed piece of velcro that is large enough, with good enough
glue. I know I've seen it in tape form, perhaps it is sold in sheets.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

Tony Sivori wrote:
I'm 3/4 of the way through a DIY refinish (interior) of 11 wood frame
windows and 8 wood door frames. The reason is wall paint over-paint
on the unpainted (stained / poly / varnish) wood frames.

I'm using the harbor Freight Multi Tool. The tool has performed well,
with the exception of the Velcro sanding pad (the foam pad, not the
sand paper). The plastic hooks are now so worn that the felt backed
sandpaper pads no longer stick. The hooks have broken off little by
little.

Trouble is, Harbor Freight doesn't sell that part (product #65700 or
67256) part #502). At least not in my local store, nor is it listed in
their website.

I found these on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR

Anyone know if they will work on the HF tool? Is the mounting hole and
sandpaper size the same?


The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...23690& sr=8-6

You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.

In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper. Let it
dry and slap 'em together.


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

HeyBub wrote:

The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...23690& sr=8-6

You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.


I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have
replacement sanding pads.

In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper.
Let it dry and slap 'em together.


I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they
didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works
there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.

It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and
window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well
the tape worked, if it works.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 11:59*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...p/B001IZPEAM/r...


You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.


I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have
replacement sanding pads.

In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper.
Let it dry and slap 'em together.


I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they
didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works
there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.

It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and
window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well
the tape worked, if it works.


Keep track of your expenditures and time involved. Let us know when
you hit the "I could have bought a better unit for what I've invested
in this thing" point.

R


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 1:02*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:45:34 -0800 (PST), RicodJour



wrote:
On Dec 8, 11:59*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
HeyBub wrote:


The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...p/B001IZPEAM/r....


You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.


I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have
replacement sanding pads.


In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper..
Let it dry and slap 'em together.


I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they
didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works
there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.


It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and
window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well
the tape worked, if it works.


Keep track of your expenditures and time involved. *Let us know when
you hit the "I could have bought a better unit for what I've invested
in this thing" point.


The HF multi-tool sells for $39. The Fein version costs roughly 10
times that. He could simply buy a whole new HF unit every time the pad
wears out and still spend far less than "buying a better unit". The
Fein would no doubt also need a new pad periodically.


I didn't mean to imply that it had to be a Fein - there are cheaper
alternatives. I was commenting on the "buy a cheap tool and find a
new maintenance hobby" method.

R
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 1:46*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:36:56 -0800 (PST), RicodJour



wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:02*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:45:34 -0800 (PST), RicodJour


wrote:
On Dec 8, 11:59*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
HeyBub wrote:


The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...p/B001IZPEAM/r...


You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.


I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have
replacement sanding pads.


In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper.
Let it dry and slap 'em together.


I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they
didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works
there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.


It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and
window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well
the tape worked, if it works.


Keep track of your expenditures and time involved. *Let us know when
you hit the "I could have bought a better unit for what I've invested
in this thing" point.


The HF multi-tool sells for $39. The Fein version costs roughly 10
times that. He could simply buy a whole new HF unit every time the pad
wears out and still spend far less than "buying a better unit". The
Fein would no doubt also need a new pad periodically.


I didn't mean to imply that it had to be a Fein - there are cheaper
alternatives. *I was commenting on the "buy a cheap tool and find a
new maintenance hobby" method.



I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it really applies in
this case. The tool isn't broken. A piece of velcro wore out from
extensive use. Same thing could happen on the Fein, except replacing
it on the Fein would be a lot more expensive.


Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right -
anything can wear out. As in most tools, the consumables and
replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of
ownership. Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas,
this being one of them. Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads
won't come near the life of a store bought pad. As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF
pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased
stress from replacing the hook and loop.

R
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 625
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 2:32*pm, RicodJour wrote:
As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity.


Except, there isn't any replacement pad of any quality available. He
tried to get a replacement HF pad, no luck. He tried to get a Dremel
replacement pad, no luck.
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 3:17*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:32:01 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right -
anything can wear out. *As in most tools, the consumables and
replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of
ownership. *Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas,
this being one of them. *Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads
won't come near the life of a store bought pad. *As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF
pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased
stress from replacing the hook and loop.



Now you are just being absurd, Rico.


?

I'd rather spend ten minutes adapting a better quality pad and do it
once, then spending ten minutes a couple or three times on an
accelerated schedule in hopes of keeping an inferior pad going. You
do realize that he's talking about cutting off the old H&L and gluing
on new stuff, right? What are the odds that the new surface will be
anywhere as near to flat as an unadulterated pad?

Pretend that the hook and loop replacement sticks well to the HF pad,
it will pull the foam pad apart when it's time to replace it. Then
he's right back in the same spot. If it doesn't stick well, then it's
just wasted time.

There's no advantage in spending time and money trying to keep a bad
item going. Just bite the bullet and spend the $20 to get two better
pads. What's absurd about that? I'm not being a wise ass, I really
don't understand what you think is absurd.

R
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:15:20 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

On Dec 8, 3:17*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:32:01 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right -
anything can wear out. *As in most tools, the consumables and
replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of
ownership. *Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas,
this being one of them. *Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads
won't come near the life of a store bought pad. *As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF
pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased
stress from replacing the hook and loop.



Now you are just being absurd, Rico.


?

I'd rather spend ten minutes adapting a better quality pad and do it
once, then spending ten minutes a couple or three times on an
accelerated schedule in hopes of keeping an inferior pad going. You
do realize that he's talking about cutting off the old H&L and gluing
on new stuff, right? What are the odds that the new surface will be
anywhere as near to flat as an unadulterated pad?

Pretend that the hook and loop replacement sticks well to the HF pad,
it will pull the foam pad apart when it's time to replace it. Then
he's right back in the same spot. If it doesn't stick well, then it's
just wasted time.

There's no advantage in spending time and money trying to keep a bad
item going. Just bite the bullet and spend the $20 to get two better
pads. What's absurd about that? I'm not being a wise ass, I really
don't understand what you think is absurd.

R


What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.

That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of
ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will
most certainly work.

I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for $12
that would finish his project quite handily.

Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and
doomsaying?



  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 7:24*pm, wrote:

What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?

The replacement pads I've bought for the Fein were much cheaper - ~$21
delivered for a two-fer.
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR
Fein has singletons which range up to a bit north of $30 delivered.
Which one are you buying that costs $60 plus shipping?

That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of
ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will
most certainly work.

I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for $12
that would finish his project quite handily.


He already has a disposable tool.

Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and
doomsaying?


Sorry. I don't think the Pope is infallible, and, well, you're not
the Pope.

You need to lighten up. Like I said, I don't own the tool, but there
are people that do. This forum is one way to address these questions
and people running into this same problem will search for an answer.
Saying a blanket "it can't be done" doesn't clarify it for me, and I
doubt it will clarify it for others. That's why I am asking the
questions.

HeyBub was making fookin multitool blades from saw blades as I
recall. There are a lot of people that are fairly handy - HeyBub,
this doesn't mean you ~ - and I'm sure that there is probably some
way to make another manufacturer's better quality pad fit. Maybe not
a Fein, but there are at least five or six competing tools out there
now. If you don't think modifying a better pad to fit makes sense,
that's an opinion until you provide specifics. If it would take a
ridiculous amount of effort to make the modification, then it becomes
an exercise in futility.

My original point was that it doesn't make sense to put a band-aid on
an inferior part when for the same amount of money and effort you can
probably modify a better part.

R
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24 pm, wrote:

What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?

The replacement pads I've bought for the Fein were much cheaper - ~$21
delivered for a two-fer.
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR
Fein has singletons which range up to a bit north of $30 delivered.
Which one are you buying that costs $60 plus shipping?

That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of
ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will
most certainly work.

I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for
$12 that would finish his project quite handily.


He already has a disposable tool.

Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and
doomsaying?


Sorry. I don't think the Pope is infallible, and, well, you're not
the Pope.

You need to lighten up. Like I said, I don't own the tool, but there
are people that do. This forum is one way to address these questions
and people running into this same problem will search for an answer.
Saying a blanket "it can't be done" doesn't clarify it for me, and I
doubt it will clarify it for others. That's why I am asking the
questions.

HeyBub was making fookin multitool blades from saw blades as I
recall. There are a lot of people that are fairly handy - HeyBub,
this doesn't mean you ~ - and I'm sure that there is probably some
way to make another manufacturer's better quality pad fit. Maybe not
a Fein, but there are at least five or six competing tools out there
now. If you don't think modifying a better pad to fit makes sense,
that's an opinion until you provide specifics. If it would take a
ridiculous amount of effort to make the modification, then it becomes
an exercise in futility.

My original point was that it doesn't make sense to put a band-aid on
an inferior part when for the same amount of money and effort you can
probably modify a better part.


I'll go for the last. In the instant case, modification should be trivial.
For those not familiar, the sanding pad for a HF tool is constructed thusly:

* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center.
* This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base,
also with a hole in the center.
* The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny Velcro
hooks.

The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and snugs
the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of sandpaper
on the result.

The ONLY way a competing pad could be incompatible with the HF pad is if the
bolt hole in the metal plate was too small. This can be easily remedied with
a drill.


  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24 pm, wrote:

What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?

The replacement pads I've bought for the Fein were much cheaper - ~$21
delivered for a two-fer.
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR
Fein has singletons which range up to a bit north of $30 delivered.
Which one are you buying that costs $60 plus shipping?

That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of
ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will
most certainly work.

I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for
$12 that would finish his project quite handily.


He already has a disposable tool.

Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and
doomsaying?


Sorry. I don't think the Pope is infallible, and, well, you're not
the Pope.

You need to lighten up. Like I said, I don't own the tool, but there
are people that do. This forum is one way to address these questions
and people running into this same problem will search for an answer.
Saying a blanket "it can't be done" doesn't clarify it for me, and I
doubt it will clarify it for others. That's why I am asking the
questions.

HeyBub was making fookin multitool blades from saw blades as I
recall. There are a lot of people that are fairly handy - HeyBub,
this doesn't mean you ~ - and I'm sure that there is probably some
way to make another manufacturer's better quality pad fit. Maybe not
a Fein, but there are at least five or six competing tools out there
now. If you don't think modifying a better pad to fit makes sense,
that's an opinion until you provide specifics. If it would take a
ridiculous amount of effort to make the modification, then it becomes
an exercise in futility.

My original point was that it doesn't make sense to put a band-aid on
an inferior part when for the same amount of money and effort you can
probably modify a better part.


I'll go for the last. In the instant case, modification should be trivial.
For those not familiar, the sanding pad for a HF tool is constructed thusly:

* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center.
* This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base,
also with a hole in the center.
* The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny Velcro
hooks.

The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and snugs
the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of sandpaper
on the result.

The ONLY way a competing pad could be incompatible with the HF pad is if the
bolt hole in the metal plate was too small. This can be easily remedied with
a drill.


  #17   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 9, 9:10*am, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24*pm, wrote:


What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? *Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?


Well, when you start with an incorrect statement, it's not surprising
that you end up with an incorrect conclusion. The Fein blades will not
fit the HF tool. The Fein has a fancy quick release mount that doesn't
require a deep offset for a bolt head, which is how blades and sanding
pads are mounted to the HF tool.


You mean the new Fein tools have the quick release mount. The 636 -
of which there are many many thousands of units out there, and the
consumables and replacement parts for them are readily available - has
the "old-fashioned" bolt mount. There are also other manufacturers -
Bosch, Dremel, Rockwell, etc. Another H&L pad would probably fit, or
be easily modified.

R
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 9, 9:10*am, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24*pm, wrote:


What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? *Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?


Well, when you start with an incorrect statement, it's not surprising
that you end up with an incorrect conclusion. The Fein blades will not
fit the HF tool. The Fein has a fancy quick release mount that doesn't
require a deep offset for a bolt head, which is how blades and sanding
pads are mounted to the HF tool.


You mean the new Fein tools have the quick release mount. The 636 -
of which there are many many thousands of units out there, and the
consumables and replacement parts for them are readily available - has
the "old-fashioned" bolt mount. There are also other manufacturers -
Bosch, Dremel, Rockwell, etc. Another H&L pad would probably fit, or
be easily modified.

R
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 9, 9:10*am, wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24*pm, wrote:


What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.


I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? *Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?


Well, when you start with an incorrect statement, it's not surprising
that you end up with an incorrect conclusion. The Fein blades will not
fit the HF tool. The Fein has a fancy quick release mount that doesn't
require a deep offset for a bolt head, which is how blades and sanding
pads are mounted to the HF tool.


You mean the new Fein tools have the quick release mount. The 636 -
of which there are many many thousands of units out there, and the
consumables and replacement parts for them are readily available - has
the "old-fashioned" bolt mount. There are also other manufacturers -
Bosch, Dremel, Rockwell, etc. Another H&L pad would probably fit, or
be easily modified.

R
  #20   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

salty wrote:

For about the same price as that, Harbor Fright has a complete palm
sander


Ok, I had a look at the Harbor Freight palm sander. Not suitable for what
I need. The foam pad is very thin compared to the Multi Tool. So it won't
sand shaped wood work as well as the deeply padded Multi Tool sanding
attachment.

The real killer is that the palm sander used the same hook and loop paper
attachment method as the Multi Tool.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.


  #21   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 242
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

HeyBub wrote:

* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center. *
This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base,
also with a hole in the center.
* The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny
Velcro hooks.

The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and
snugs the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of
sandpaper on the result.


In case you or anyone else that owns the Harbor Freight multi tool is
interested, I replaced the original hook surface on the sanding pad with
adhesive backed velcro.

I used it and it works great. The first thing I noticed was the on the
brand name Velcro tape, the hooks were much denser than the Harbor Freight
original part.

After a few hours of use, and applying substantial pressure to the tool
(letting the tool do the work, the job was taking forever) the replacement
velcro is holding up a lot better than the original.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm filtering all Google Groups posters.
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 805
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:46:08 -0500, Tony Sivori
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center. *
This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base,
also with a hole in the center.
* The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny
Velcro hooks.

The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and
snugs the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of
sandpaper on the result.


In case you or anyone else that owns the Harbor Freight multi tool is
interested, I replaced the original hook surface on the sanding pad with
adhesive backed velcro.

I used it and it works great. The first thing I noticed was the on the
brand name Velcro tape, the hooks were much denser than the Harbor Freight
original part.

After a few hours of use, and applying substantial pressure to the tool
(letting the tool do the work, the job was taking forever) the replacement
velcro is holding up a lot better than the original.


OH NO!

Take that new velcro off immediately. As many here have insisted, you
need to go out and buy a more expensive tool! Sticking a new piece of
velcro on the old pad can't possibly work properly, and may even cause
your entire family to die.

  #24   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

I've had great luck with their electric impact tools. I have one of their
big breaker hammers that I've put a zillion hours on. Also a lowend
hammerdrill that has done great so far (medium hours), and just got a demo
hammer that works very well, but I don't know yet about durability.
However, I tried a recip saw that was a POS.

bill



"Jay Hanig" wrote in message
...
wrote:

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight for some things. I'm blessed with one
about 3 miles down the road. My experience with their electric tools has
not been good. However, when I was looking for cheap tools to carry in an
emergency kit for my motorcycle, they were the place for cheap wrenches,
screwdrivers, and impact sockets. I always get pneumatic stuff from them
for next to nothing. Nobody makes a cheaper digital volt-ohm meter ($3)
But I won't buy electric tools from them.



Jay



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fein/Bosch Multitool Blade Compatibility (TMH?) DavidM UK diy 2 February 2nd 08 01:03 AM
fein multimaster Renata Woodworking 14 September 21st 06 08:06 PM
Re fein multimaster srazor Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 04:15 PM
Re My Fein MultiMaster impression. srazor Woodworking 1 March 26th 06 10:00 PM
Fein Multimaster [email protected] UK diy 34 November 4th 05 04:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"