Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation?

Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800 (PST), utilitarian
wrote:

Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks

Kirby, but lots of $$$. Will last forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Dunno, I'm still using a Hoover from the mid sixties. Damn thing's built
like a tank.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walmart oughta have something. My personal vac is a Hoover,
that takes type A bags. Probably older than I am. Actually
made of metal.

Oh... suggestion. Look for top fill. They hold more dirt,
and less likely to clog.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"utilitarian" wrote in message
Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner
problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10
years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to
junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty
good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all
bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it.
One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks

Drive through any large apartment project on the closest weekend to the
end of the month. Odds are you will find 2 or 3, sitting by the
dumpsters, that just need to be field-stripped and have the dust bunnies
removed, and the string cut away from the beater bar. No, I'm not
joking. Done it more than once, for when my siblings were moving out on
their own.

If you can't bring yourself to dumpster dive, go to local Goodwill or
Salvation Army, or similar. They usually have a couple, even in this
small town.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:

The Eurekas are are all bagless now, apparently.

Nope.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-4870MZ-...544867&sr=8-12

It's a bit heavier than I expected, but seems to work fine. Like the hand
attachment. Not motorized like a Powermate, the the airflow is sufficient to
move the brush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
utilitarian wrote:
[...]

If your dumpster diving yields a Filter Queen, snag it. Best vacuum
I've ever used. I wouldn't pay anywhere near what they ask for a *new*
one, mind you, and their marketing smacks of Amway, but they're a damn
fine vacuum cleaner.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blue and white? Mine's, can't remember what model. But it
actually has some metal in it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

Dunno, I'm still using a Hoover from the mid sixties. Damn
thing's built
like a tank.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, I've done much the same thing. Put on a belt and a
bag. Take the unit outdoors. Take the bag out, and leave the
tube sticking out of the zip pouch. Run the machine for a
few seconds, to blow it out well.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Drive through any large apartment project on the closest
weekend to the
end of the month. Odds are you will find 2 or 3, sitting by
the
dumpsters, that just need to be field-stripped and have the
dust bunnies
removed, and the string cut away from the beater bar. No,
I'm not
joking. Done it more than once, for when my siblings were
moving out on
their own.

If you can't bring yourself to dumpster dive, go to local
Goodwill or
Salvation Army, or similar. They usually have a couple, even
in this
small town.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

But, some are more suckier than others.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

They all suck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi,

*To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

*My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, *to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, *to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag *?

Thanks

Kirby, but lots of $$$. Will last forever.

My 85 year old mom died last year after buying a Kirby the previous
year for $1800 to replace the one she bought in the 60's.

The old still worked fine.....I think she bought a new one to "help
out that nice young man who was selling them".
You'd think for that price you'd get a lifetime supply of bags
delivered 4 times a year.

OP- Interested? Make me an offer. I'll see if my sister
(executor) wants to sell it.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks

Panasonic

Hi,
No one uses built-in vacuum? I have been for last 40 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Blue and white? Mine's, can't remember what model. But it
actually has some metal in it.

Mine's red and white, made in Canton, Ohio. Says it takes "AC only".

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
No one uses built-in vacuum? I have been for last 40 years or so.

Friend of mine's got one of those at the beach house. Sure is a lot more
quiet.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Kirby don't need no steenkin bags!

OP- Interested? Make me an offer. I'll see if my sister
(executor) wants to sell it.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a good advantage. Maybe all the sound is contained in
the mechanical room?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

Friend of mine's got one of those at the beach house. Sure
is a lot more
quiet.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:40:13 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
No one uses built-in vacuum? I have been for last 40 years or so.

Always wondered about those - popular in big houses 100 or so years ago
from what I've read. How well do they work? Do the outlets that aren't
being used seal well? Does the pipework behind the walls ever jam up
(presumably the wall pipework's wider than the vac hose so in theory it
shouldn't happen, but still...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800, utilitarian wrote:
My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

Whatever happened to the days when you'd walk down to your local
engineering place and just grab replacement bearings off the shelf? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenmore Central vac, vented to the outdoors.
You can use a bag, or go bagless. I use a bag, easier to clean.
Cost for a base model kit is between 400 and 500, depending on local.

Benefit of venting to outdoors? any dust escaping the bag is gonzo. I would
never use a canister type vac again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets,
consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who
played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck
somewhere!).

The Rigid, which is about 1/2 the size of a garbage can, goes to the shop,
freeing the $15 Walmart shop vac for exclusive house duty - no more moving
back and forth.

Unfortunately, shop vacs don't have bags - but on the other hand, when used
as a household vacuum, you'll only have to empty it once ever couple of
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Panasonic

2nd that

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/30/2009 1:45 AM (ET) Jon Danniken wrote the following:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
No one uses built-in vacuum? I have been for last 40 years or so.

Friend of mine's got one of those at the beach house. Sure is a lot more
quiet.

Jon

Mine is 35 years old. Replaced the motor brushes about 5 years ago, and
then the motor last year.
No need for HEPA filters or bags, since whatever passes through the
internal filter is exhausted outside.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/30/2009 7:47 AM (ET) Stormin Mormon wrote the following:
That's a good advantage. Maybe all the sound is contained in
the mechanical room?

All except the sucking noise.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/30/2009 8:31 AM (ET) Jules wrote the following:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:06:10 -0800, utilitarian wrote:

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

Whatever happened to the days when you'd walk down to your local
engineering place and just grab replacement bearings off the shelf? :-)

I have one of those places about 6 miles from me.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:20:27 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets,
consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who
played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck
somewhere!).

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after
her...

Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same deal
up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

wrote:

Hi,

*To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

*My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, *to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, *to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag *?

Thanks

Kirby, but lots of $$$. Will last forever.

You also need a strong man to carry it up the stairs.

In that respect a 30 year old Kirby is way better than a new one. I
have an ancient Kirby upright for my garage (finished loft upstairs)
and I expect it to outlast me - and it doesn't weigh a ton like the
new ones. Only downside is the poor filtration from the reusable
cloth bag; in the house I use an old Filter Queen and it is far
preferable - nothing detectable makes it through the FQ to the
exhaust. No dusty/musty smell when vacuuming and lots of suction. If
I could find another FQ for the garage for a reasonable price I would
use it.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 30, 3:55*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:20:27 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets,
consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who
played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck
somewhere!).

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after
her...

Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same deal
up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

Seriously. I could use a new shop vac, mine is pretty rickety and was
cheap to begin with (doesn't have "blow" connection, and there's times
I could use that, like cleaning out attic vents.) Problem is, I was
just at HD on Saturday, and visiting that place twice in one week
could push someone over the edge.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:00:20 -0800, N8N wrote:

On Nov 30, 3:55Â*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:20:27 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have carpets,
consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I had in college who
played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it blows, it's gotta suck
somewhere!).

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after
her...

Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same deal
up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

Seriously. I could use a new shop vac, mine is pretty rickety and was
cheap to begin with (doesn't have "blow" connection, and there's times
I could use that, like cleaning out attic vents.) Problem is, I was
just at HD on Saturday, and visiting that place twice in one week
could push someone over the edge.

:-) I don't mind HD too much - my local one doesn't seem too bad when it
comes to employees pouncing on people and doing the "how can I help you?"
routine, and it's a very big store in an area of low population density,
so outside of "peak hours" it's not full to the gills with people.

What I have found though is that their prices are often higher than the
locally-run farm supply place just down the road, so it really pays to
know which store is good for what kinds of stuff...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:20:27 -0600, HeyBub wrote:
I just bought a Rigid shop vac for $20 at HD. If you don't have
carpets, consider a shop vac. They suck better than a girlfriend I
had in college who played French Horn in the Longhorn Band (if it
blows, it's gotta suck somewhere!).

Now if you gave us a name, we could have named a scientific unit after
her...

Her name was "Carol." Let's see: The "calorie" maybe? Seems to fit: The
amount of heat necessary to raise one pound of water (or equivalent) one
degree (Farenheit or angle of elevation?).

Might have to pick one of those up, anyway (if they're doing the same
deal up here) - that's stupidly cheap.

It was a Black Friday deal. May not still be available. It was this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Shop-Vac...620053&sr=8-16

I found it he
http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/ho...friday-ad.html
Look for Ridgid 16-Gallon 5-HP Wet/Dry Vac - $19.88

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Iowna Uass" wrote:

Kenmore Central vac, vented to the outdoors.
You can use a bag, or go bagless. I use a bag, easier to clean.
Cost for a base model kit is between 400 and 500, depending on local.

Benefit of venting to outdoors? any dust escaping the bag is gonzo. I would
never use a canister type vac again.

Agree..... but what if you rent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of

But I have decided it's time for a new vac.

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the local repair man says to junk it.
It was a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last
this long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Dunno, I'm still using a Hoover from the mid sixties. Damn thing's built
like a tank.

Jon

You're right, the old Hoovers suck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 8:06*pm, utilitarian wrote:

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, *to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Google: eureka model 1934
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

utilitarian wrote:

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

Eureka C5712A commercial. About $200.

"http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-C5712A-Commercial-Upright-Vacuum/dp/B000AE94VM"

I bought one at the Business Costco for about $150 on sale, but AFAIK
there are only a couple of Business Costcos in the world, and Amazon's
price is lower than the non-sale price at the Business Costco.

Avoid bag-less vacuum cleaners at all costs.