Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ICE MAKER --- No Water - No Ice?????

We have a fairly new Roper fridge and we just finished tiling the
kitchen. While we were working on the kitchen we had rolled the
fridge in the dining room and had it running but no water hooked up.
The old ice was left in the bin but we cleaned it out when we rolled
it back. Hooked the water up and the water dispenser on the door
worked but we couldn't get the ice maker to make ice.

UNIT INFO :
Roper - RS22AQXKQ00 Door dispenser for ice and water
Whirlpool dual valve - water side works fine - ice maker side doesn't
cycle

Thought it might be the ice maker valve but it's a dual valve and the
side of the water dispenser works fine. Picked up another valve but
when I was looking at it, I decided to check the coil on the ice make
side and found there was no power. So I started looking at the ice
maker instead of the valve. Not much there and when I pulled the unit
out, and put it back, the motor cycled once but the valve never got
power. Not sure how this cycles, when it cycles, for how long or what
the logic is for the valve.

So now my question is, what might the problem be? I was letting it
set to see if something needed to reach temp or something before it
cycled, but the ice tray is bone dry and the valve doesn't get power
to the coil. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as we
didn't realize how much we depended on the ice maker until it didn't
work.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

I can say this because I've done it. Is the lever on the ice maker
down? If its like most ice makers there is a wire lever that when down,
will turn on the ice maker and as the ice bucket is filled it will raise
with the amount of cubes in the tray and shut off when it gets full, ie,
that lever is up or level.
You say you emptied the ice cube bucket and to do this I'll be you have
to lift that lever to get the bucket out.

: )

-John
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lever was down when testing. Might of just fixed itself. Left the
arm up a long time today with the old valve in. After a while lowered
the arm and have the front cover off the motor and saw the motor start
turning. It got about 1/4 the way around, stopped, backed up, started
again, stopped, backed up and started again. This time I heard a POP
noise and a piece of ice popped out into the bucket. Then it cycled
all the way around, heard a click and the water ran. Tray filled and
looks like it's working again. Now thinking this stray piece of ice
might of been stuck in the mechanism and not letting the motor run
before.

We'll see how it goes but appreciate the suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:57:32 -0800 (PST), infiniteMPG
wrote:

Lever was down when testing. Might of just fixed itself. Left the

I don't think it fixed itself. If you look on page 237 of the manual,
it says to reset the icemaker, you have to take it into the dining
room, leave it running, without water, then take it back to the
kitchen and leave the arm up for a long time, then lower the arm with
the front cover off the motor.

So you fixed it. This is why people say to read the manual.

arm up a long time today with the old valve in. After a while lowered
the arm and have the front cover off the motor and saw the motor start
turning. It got about 1/4 the way around, stopped, backed up, started
again, stopped, backed up and started again. This time I heard a POP
noise and a piece of ice popped out into the bucket. Then it cycled
all the way around, heard a click and the water ran. Tray filled and
looks like it's working again. Now thinking this stray piece of ice
might of been stuck in the mechanism and not letting the motor run
before.

We'll see how it goes but appreciate the suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ice maker contains a thermal sensor. Has to be seriously
cold before it will fill and cycle. Give it another day.

Oh.... the water valve is two different solenoids and
valves. Water dispenser doesn't mean the ice maker side
works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/28/2009 1:39 PM (ET) infiniteMPG wrote the following:
[...]

I had this problem. I called the Sears repairman (under warranty). The
repairman used a blow dryer to heat the area where the water comes into
the icemaker. It turns out that if some ice is not removed from the
icemaker when it gets full, or no cold drinking water is used, the water
supply tube gets frozen because the water is not moving.
He recommended removing some of the ice at regular intervals.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 11/28/2009 1:39 PM (ET) infiniteMPG wrote the following:
We have a fairly new Roper fridge and we just finished tiling the
kitchen. While we were working on the kitchen we had rolled the
fridge in the dining room and had it running but no water hooked up.
The old ice was left in the bin but we cleaned it out when we rolled
it back. Hooked the water up and the water dispenser on the door
worked but we couldn't get the ice maker to make ice.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The most common cause when a piercing type supply valve has been used is a
failed valve.

That or the freeze up suggested by another poster.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 11:49�am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

m...

on 11/28/2009 1:39 PM (ET) infiniteMPG wrote the following:
We have a fairly new Roper fridge and we just finished tiling the
kitchen. �While we were working on the kitchen we had rolled the
fridge in the dining room and had it running but no water hooked up.
The old ice was left in the bin but we cleaned it out when we rolled
it back. �Hooked the water up and the water dispenser on the door
worked but we couldn't get the ice maker to make ice.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

The most common cause when a piercing type supply valve has been used is a
failed valve.

That or the freeze up suggested by another poster.

Colbyt

if the icemaker runs while no water is available the solenoid valve
fails....

because its on too long waiting for water that doesnt come.

the valve overheats and is ruined.

always turn the icemakers wire trip lever too off if theres going to
be no water.

interestingly the solenoid costs almost as much as a entire icemaker
kit including valve.

if in doubt rice the kit
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

I had this problem. I called the Sears repairman (under warranty). The
repairman used a blow dryer to heat the area where the water comes into
the icemaker. It turns out that if some ice is not removed from the
icemaker when it gets full, or no cold drinking water is used, the water
supply tube gets frozen because the water is not moving.

To make matters worse, the point where the line freezes up is near the
top of the freezer. The valve is near the floor and the line going up
isn't built to handle much pressure. So when the flow is blocked, that
line bursts and leaves puddles on the floor.