Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT

My house gets too hot at night
Should I raise or lower the "HEAT" set-point?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Using this example:

Setting Time Heat Cool
Wake 6:00 a.m. 71° 77°
Day 8:00 a.m. Setback 8° Setup 7°
Evening 6:00 p.m. 71° 77°
Sleep 10:00 p.m. Setback 8° Setup 4°

Following the "Setup" and "Setback" numbers, would these "Set-points"
be correct:

Setting Time Heat Cool
Wake 6:00 a.m. 71° 77°
Day 8:00 a.m. 63° 84°
Evening 6:00 p.m. 71° 77°
Sleep 10:00 p.m. 63° 71°

Posted to alt.home.repair

Using this example:

Setting Time Heat Cool
Wake 6:00 a.m. 71° 77°
Day 8:00 a.m. Setback 8° Setup 7°
Evening 6:00 p.m. 71° 77°
Sleep 10:00 p.m. Setback 8° Setup 4°

Following the "Setup" and "Setback" numbers, would these "Set-points"
be correct:

Setting Time Heat Cool
Wake 6:00 a.m. 71° 77°
Day 8:00 a.m. 63° 84°
Evening 6:00 p.m. 71° 77°
Sleep 10:00 p.m. 63° 81°
Posted to alt.home.repair

On a Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat (Model
p474-1035), should the "Mode Switch" (on the front of the thermostat)
be set to "Heat", "Cool" or "Off" to heat and cool at the set times?
[The "Program Switch" (at the side of the thermostat) is on "Run"].
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:04:59 -0800 (PST), gcotterl
wrote:

On a Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat (Model
p474-1035), should the "Mode Switch" (on the front of the thermostat)
be set to "Heat", "Cool" or "Off" to heat and cool at the set times?
[The "Program Switch" (at the side of the thermostat) is on "Run"].

I think you should read and understand the owners manual. Obviously
you haven't done that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position,
the thermostat will not run the time period programming".

So it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position,
the thermostat will not run the time-period programming" but the
manual fails to say that it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is
set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
My house gets too hot at night
Should I raise or lower the "HEAT" set-point?

First adjust the "capslock" setting.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:34:42 -0800 (PST), gcotterl
wrote:

The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position,
the thermostat will not run the time period programming".

So it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is set.

Let me be a little clearer. Do you understand the meaning of "OFF?"
"OFF" means it ain't gonna work no matter what any other switch or
setting is set to. Before you go back and read the book again you
need to enroll in, and successfully complete, a remedial reading
class. It's times like these that I bet you wished you paid more
attention in school, huh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Mode Switch (on the front of the thermostat) has three positions:
'Heat', 'Cool' and 'Off'.

The Program Switch (on the right side of the thermostat) has three
positions: 'Run', 'Off' and 'Set'.

If (according to your reply) the thermostat won't work in the 'Off'
position, why are there TWO 'Off' positions? Wouldn't one be enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
The Mode Switch (on the front of the thermostat) has three positions:
'Heat', 'Cool' and 'Off'.

The Program Switch (on the right side of the thermostat) has three
positions: 'Run', 'Off' and 'Set'.

If (according to your reply) the thermostat won't work in the 'Off'
position, why are there TWO 'Off' positions? Wouldn't one be enough?

Hi,
Tradeline is very confusing 'stat. You look at it as two part. One is
system(cool, heat) one is programming (set, run) I have a Tradeline
wireless 'stat as a backup for Honeywell one in use. Usually system
switch should have cool, heat or auto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BQ340 wrote:
BQ340 wrote:
gcotterl wrote:
On a Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat (Model
p474-1035), should the "Mode Switch" (on the front of the thermostat)
be set to "Heat", "Cool" or "Off" to heat and cool at the set times?
[The "Program Switch" (at the side of the thermostat) is on "Run"].

If set to heat, the heater will run at the programmed settings
if set to cool, the a/c will run at the programmed settings
if off the heater will not run at all

Whoops!

If set to heat, the heater will run at the programmed settings
if set to cool, the a/c will run at the programmed settings
if off, neither the heater or a/c will run

Hi,
No brainer for that. When stuff is made in China and Chinese written
English manual is at best very frustrating and confusing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
On a Totaline Programmable 5-2 Day Digital Thermostat (Model
p474-1035), should the "Mode Switch" (on the front of the thermostat)
be set to "Heat", "Cool" or "Off" to heat and cool at the set times?
[The "Program Switch" (at the side of the thermostat) is on "Run"].

Hi,
If you can return that 'stat return it and get a Honeywell vision Pro
8000. You'll love this 'stat. Easy to understand and easy to set up.
No more frustration. I have wireless Totaline one and I retired as a
back up to my Honeywell wireless one. Totaline manual really sucks.
(probably written by Chinese)
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
The Mode Switch (on the front of the thermostat) has three positions:
'Heat', 'Cool' and 'Off'.

The Program Switch (on the right side of the thermostat) has three
positions: 'Run', 'Off' and 'Set'.

If (according to your reply) the thermostat won't work in the 'Off'
position, why are there TWO 'Off' positions? Wouldn't one be enough?

Hi,
Play with it, experiment with it. Is that so hard to figure out and
prove what is what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

gcotterl wrote:
The manual says that "If the Program Switch is in the OFF position,
the thermostat will not run the time-period programming" but the
manual fails to say that it doesn't matter how the "Mode Switch" is
set.

Well,
No program, no workie. You mean heating = cooling = off ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a Totaline thermostat; not a Tradeline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message
My house gets too hot at night
Should I raise or lower the "HEAT" set-point?

Toss it and get a $25 thermostat. At bedtime, set it to the temperature you
want it. Those programmables can get out of sync too easily, and be on when
you're gone, or don't want it on. They are very complex to program. Unless
you have the same exact schedule all the time, there will be times when it
comes on or doesn't come in error. I had an 800 dollar electric bill in one
of my vacation rentals in Vegas. Changed to the $25 manual thermostat, and
next month was $135.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like I should set the Mode switch to "Heat" and the Program
switch to "Run".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gcotterl" wrote in message

It sounds like I should set the Mode switch to "Heat" and the Program
switch to "Run".

I much prefer the thermostats with ON, OFF, and the temperature.

Steve