Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Undersink water filter *without* faucet

I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the
kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got
very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new faucet or
replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find
on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the
existing cold water line and existing faucet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Shaffer wrote:
I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the
kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got
very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new faucet or
replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find
on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the
existing cold water line and existing faucet?

Hi,
Then water flow will be very sluggish. Usually multi stage filter has
pressure tank and separate tap. You can upgrade the filter faucet with
all metal heavy duty one. When I installed my 6 stage/UV light filter,
that's what I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 12:18*am, Chris Shaffer wrote:
I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. *However, the
kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. *It's got
very nice faucet fittings. *I don't want to add a new faucet or
replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find
on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the
existing cold water line and existing faucet?

Cartriges have limited life in gallons, if I hooked mine up to the
faucet it might last a month as with all the dishes being done, as it
is it lasts years for just drinking water, it has a seperate small
tap. I use Everpure and the cartrige is about 100$ if I remember
right. My largest percentage of water use is by far my kitchen sink,
you would be suprised at your gallons used if you wash dishes in the
sink and cook alot. A big filter would work but how effective it would
be to remove Lead without reducing flow and how many galllons it would
last for needs research. I opted to just filter for drinking water
after reading up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Shaffer wrote:
I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the
kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got
very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new faucet or
replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find
on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the
existing cold water line and existing faucet?

I have an undersink filter that doesn't have a faucet. In fact that is
the normal kind that I see. Well, I seem to recall some that have a
little spigot that goes up through the hole put in for the soap pump,
but I never thought of getting one. You should be able to find a
plain one that goes in the line to the cold water faucet at most any
place that sells hardware. The big box home stores all have them,
and I figure most hardware stores do. They usually cost in the
neighborhood of $40 for the inexpensive ones.

They are a little over a foot high and about 6 inches in diameter. All
you have to do is find a place to mount it. You can probably install it
yourself. Then you need to replace the filter every 6 months or a
year, depending on how much water you use.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:39*am, ransley wrote:
[...]

Doulton has a commercial undersink commercial filter that is capable
of
1.4 gallons/minute and has a life of 2000 gallons. They are pricey
especially
the replacement cartridge which costs about $100.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I understand about using the filter up quick because of
washing dishes. I don't use much cold water for dish washing. I
figure the hotter the better when washing dishes. So that doesn't
use up the filter, which is on the cold water.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Chris Shaffer wrote:
I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the
kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got
very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new faucet or
replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find
on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the
existing cold water line and existing faucet?

You need a whole house system for that.
Usually you only need the filtered water for consumption not for rinsing
dishes, washing floors and all the other things. If it's a reverse
osmosis system it only makes a gallon every 4 to 6 hours. I just use
mine for coffee, ice cubes and the drinking water jug in the fridge.

I'm not sure why you would need a whole house filter. You don't really
need to filter the water to the bathroom. The main water that needs to
be filtered is for drinking and cooking. That is a much smaller need
than a whole house filter.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
You need a whole house system for that.
Usually you only need the filtered water for consumption not for rinsing
dishes, washing floors and all the other things. If it's a reverse
osmosis system it only makes a gallon every 4 to 6 hours. I just use mine
for coffee, ice cubes and the drinking water jug in the fridge.

I'm not sure why you would need a whole house filter. You don't really
need to filter the water to the bathroom. The main water that needs to
be filtered is for drinking and cooking. That is a much smaller need
than a whole house filter.

Bill

Just because it is called a "whole house filter" does not mean it has to
filter the whole house. Mine is mounted on the basement ceiling and is for
the cold water tap in the kitchen. They can go under the sink too. It
has benefits of sensibly priced cartridges and no bulky blob on the end of a
faucet like the Pur and Brita types.