Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ge washer problem

the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

crawler30 wrote:
the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

suggest you provide a model number and/or check ge site
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:54:50 -0800 (PST), crawler30
wrote:

the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

Can't tell too much without a look, maybe it needs new cogs. These
catch the rotating mechanism then release the agitator. If so, easy
to replace.

GE Washer Problem Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 3 August 23rd 07 04:50 AM
Whirpool washer problem b Home Repair 1 March 18th 07 03:01 PM
Problem with washer? jen2006 Home Repair 2 March 15th 07 04:36 AM
washer problem Shane Hecker Home Repair 2 July 2nd 06 03:45 PM
washer problem memememe Home Repair 12 August 22nd 03 04:01 AM