DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ge washer problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/292421-ge-washer-problem.html)

crawler30 November 23rd 09 05:54 PM

ge washer problem

the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

LouB[_2_] November 23rd 09 06:34 PM

ge washer problem

crawler30 wrote:
the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

suggest you provide a model number and/or check ge site

Phisherman[_2_] November 24th 09 11:42 AM

ge washer problem

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:54:50 -0800 (PST), crawler30
wrote:

the agitator was sounding loud so I took it off to check the problem
and I noticed that the shaft underneath it is really loose. if i hold
it up and straight it seems to be tight enough but if i let it drop a
1/16" or so it is loose. it seems to have alot of clearance around the
top of the shaft where it comes through the tub. is this supposed to
be a bearing or bushing? it seems as though it is just a large nut but
may have had a bushing in it. If it needs a new bearing/bushing, is
this something that can be DIY or will i have to have it done? Any
help would be appreciated. thanx in advance.

Can't tell too much without a look, maybe it needs new cogs. These
catch the rotating mechanism then release the agitator. If so, easy
to replace.