Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seal exterior of brick house?

I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
TIA
starrin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 9:46�am, starrin wrote:
I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. �During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. �Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. �What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
� �TIA
� � �starrin

hows tha masonary joints? might be time to repoint
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 8:46*am, starrin wrote:
I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. *During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. *Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. *What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
* *TIA
* * *starrin

You need tuckpointing and caulk where wood meets brick, not a sealer
of silicone base, it will make future motar repairs-tuckpointing near
impossible, unless things are ground clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:46:50 -0500, starrin
wrote:

I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
TIA
starrin

You can put a wanter repellent on but don't try to seal the
birck, it can cause serious damage to the brick, it needs to be able
to breath.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. *During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. *Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. *What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
* TIA
* * starrin

* * * * You can put a wanter repellent on but don't try to seal the
birck, it can cause serious damage to the brick, it needs to be able
to breath. *

Coat the brick with Thompsons water seal when they have dried. Bricks
do not breath. Those nor'easters are like a three day powerwash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thompson water seal is junk ,mineral spirits and wax
Buy a product with siloxane in it.
Hydrozo comes to mind ,have used it for over 20 years,excellent product.
Talk to brick makers or commercial concrete product suppliers.
don't buy from the big box stores , go to the people who actually know what
they are doing
a good sealer will come will a guarantee

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess we will disagree on this one. I have seen the results
of "sealing" brick. Keep in mind there are many kinds of brick and
many people call adding a water repleent coating sealing when it is
not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:50:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 23, 9:46?am, starrin wrote:
I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. ?During the
N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in
our case) 10.9" of rain. ?Ten days later, we can still see the dry/wet
line on the windward side brick caused by the overhang of the eaves.
Have never had that happen before, and we have gone through lots of
hurricanes.
So, the question arises in my mind, is there some reason I want (or
not want) to seal the exterior brick once it dries out. ?What's an
apprpreate sealer, if you believe in sealing?
? ?TIA
? ? ?starrin

hows tha masonary joints? might be time to repoint

They all look to be in great shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are professional masonry sealing products. These are not
available at the box stores - go to a commercial supply house.
Good brand names include, but not limited to:
Prososco
W.R. Grace
Dayton Superior

The products will be silanes or siloxanes, absolutely clear.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .