Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exterior stain for playset

I just built a playset out of pressure treated southern yellow pine. It
looks OK but I would like to put some redwood stain on it to make it look
nicer against the forest green slide and rockwall rocks.

I've looked at consumer reports ratings and they recommend Behr but I've
read some horror stories about behr stain.

I went and bought a quart of Sherwin williams Woodscapes which looks good on
the test piece of wood I did, but it came in dead last on the CR report and
I read of class action law suits on Shwerin Williams due the woodscapes
stain pealing after 6-8 months and requiring sanding to get it off to recoat
with something else.

I'm looking for first hand expereince with stain that will last more thant a
year or two and when it is time to refinish doesn't require massive effort
to refinish.

This will be in Houston Texas weather.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:21:02 -0600, "mook johnson"
wrote:

[...]

Whatever you use for a finish, bear in mind that splinters from
pressure treated wood can be considerably more serious than splinters
from wood not saturated with those chemicals. Several thick coats of
paint might be a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 9:21*pm, "mook johnson" wrote:
[...]

I just googled for a lawsuit on SW stain and couldnt find any. Please
post your link to one. I dont think there is one and putting together
one wood be ridiculous. What I know is failures are easily made by
homeowners staining when cold or with wet wood. Did you know PT can be
to wet to stain for 6 months! PT is a treatment that under pressure
forces in water to saturate the wood wet. Properly your set should be
tested with a moisture meter. I would use oil stain, SW or any other
name brand, I will bet any complaint-failure about stains is consumer
ignorance related to temperature and the high moisture content of the
wood. My only failure was staining to late in the year, on the last
55F day of the season. Your set if sold boxed and stored indoors
should be dry enough, but only a moisture meter can confirm you are
below the wet limit for staining, so where is that class action
lawsuit you say is out there. Paint peels and is more affected by
trapped moisture of new PT so stain is better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Might not have been a lawsuit but someone else was asking about it here
after they had bad experience with SW woodscapes.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/exterio...ng-269046.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 6:07*am, "mook johnson" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/exterio...re-peelng-...- Hide quoted text -

So some idiot didnt follow directions, the stain peeled, as mine did
when I stained at the minimum or below recomended temp, posts a
complaint and you think its a nationwide issue, geeze. It isnt even An
issue. I used to use alot of SW stain professionaly for many years,
there is good reason SW is one of the largest paint companies. A
quality product at competitive price, with service to back it up.
Products fail because idiots dont read or follow instructions clearly
printed on every can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 1:36*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:24:11 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:
On Nov 20, 7:50*am, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:39:20 -0800 (PST), ransley

wrote:

So some idiot didnt follow directions, the stain peeled, as mine did
when I stained at the minimum or below recomended temp, posts a
complaint and you think its a nationwide issue, geeze. It isnt even An
issue. I used to use alot of SW stain professionaly for many years,
there is good reason SW is one of the largest paint companies. A
quality product at competitive price, with service to back it up.
Products fail because idiots dont read or follow instructions clearly
printed on every can.

So in a post where you call other people idiots for not following
directions, you also mention that YOU didn't follow the directions,
even though you were a "professional".

LOL!

I make mistakes, when its the last nice week of fall and you want a
stained deck because you put it off, you try to catch a break in the
weather. In the midwest here we just had a cloudy, wet, cold, October
and now in November painters are finishing what they started in Sept.
The difference is I know I screwed up my stain, I dont go falsely
blaming a product as crap and falsely talk about non existant class
action lawsuits.

So... Just to be clear. Did you follow the directions, or were you one
of those idiots that didn't?- Hide quoted text -

I did, but it got cold right after so it didnt have time to cure in
this shaded area.