Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default exterior stain for playset

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:21:02 -0600, "mook johnson"
wrote:

I just built a playset out of pressure treated southern yellow pine. It
looks OK but I would like to put some redwood stain on it to make it look
nicer against the forest green slide and rockwall rocks.

I've looked at consumer reports ratings and they recommend Behr but I've
read some horror stories about behr stain.

I went and bought a quart of Sherwin williams Woodscapes which looks good on
the test piece of wood I did, but it came in dead last on the CR report and
I read of class action law suits on Shwerin Williams due the woodscapes
stain pealing after 6-8 months and requiring sanding to get it off to recoat
with something else.

I'm looking for first hand expereince with stain that will last more thant a
year or two and when it is time to refinish doesn't require massive effort
to refinish.

This will be in Houston Texas weather.

thanks

Whatever you use for a finish, bear in mind that splinters from
pressure treated wood can be considerably more serious than splinters
from wood not saturated with those chemicals. Several thick coats of
paint might be a good idea.