Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arc-fault breaker on troffer lights tripping

I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on a
circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are two
3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the lights, the
breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue to trip
until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault breaker
with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 12, 10:24*am, "Jack" wrote:
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on a
circuit that has troffer lights. *Is this a common problem?? *There are two
3-way switches controlling the lights. *When I turn on the lights, the
breaker may trip. *I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue to trip
until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault breaker
with a regular 20 amp breaker. *Thanks for your advice.

As cheap as standard breakers are, it makes sense to buy and
substitute one for the AFCI as a quick positive test. Keep in mind
that Homeline is the lower cost Square D equipment. However, the
switch itself could be the problem, and again, substituting a new one
would be advisable. Do the switch first since that is the lowest cost.
If problems persist, then move upstream to the lamps looking for fried
wiring from heat or other needed repairs.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on
a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are
two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the lights, the
breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue to
trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault
breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

If the lights are on a circuit that doesn't require arc fault protection,
I'd replace the breaker with a standard one. You could have loose
connections, bad switches, bad transformers, etc. It really will require
ironing out the entire lighting circuit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips
on a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There
are two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the
lights, the breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will
continue to trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault
breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

Replace the breaker. They are not needed. We went nearly a century of
electricity without them. They are nothing but a BIG ASS WASTE of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Jack wrote:
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips
on a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem??
There are two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on
the lights, the breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it
will continue to trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault
breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

Replace the breaker. They are not needed. We went nearly a century of
electricity without them. They are nothing but a BIG ASS WASTE of money.

Loose wires cause fires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on
a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are
two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the lights,
the breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue
to trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault
breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

If the lights are on a circuit that doesn't require arc fault protection,
I'd replace the breaker with a standard one. You could have loose
connections, bad switches, bad transformers, etc. It really will require
ironing out the entire lighting circuit

*I agree. The AFCI could be tripping because you have a condition that
causes it to trip like it is suppose to. In that case you should check
everything. However if you changed your circuit breakers from standard
models to AFCI's then perhaps you should change back or put in a newer AFCI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 11:24*am, "Jack" wrote:
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on a
circuit that has troffer lights. *Is this a common problem?? *There are two
3-way switches controlling the lights. *When I turn on the lights, the
breaker may trip. *I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue to trip
until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault breaker
with a regular 20 amp breaker. *Thanks for your advice.

When was the last time it worked, have any changes been made to the
circuit, fixtures or switches replaced?

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brand new circuit. There are 4 lights on the circuit. 2 - 2x4 troffers and
2 2x2 troffers. Turning on the small lights doesn't seem to be causing the
problem. Ill check all wiring, and replace the switches controlling the 2
2x4 lights.

Thank you for your time answering my question.