Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Arc-fault breaker on troffer lights tripping

I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on
a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are
two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I turn on the lights,
the breaker may trip. I try to reset the breaker, but it will continue
to trip until I shut the light switch off.

Not sure how to fix this, or if I should just replace the arc-fault
breaker with a regular 20 amp breaker. Thanks for your advice.

If the lights are on a circuit that doesn't require arc fault protection,
I'd replace the breaker with a standard one. You could have loose
connections, bad switches, bad transformers, etc. It really will require
ironing out the entire lighting circuit

*I agree. The AFCI could be tripping because you have a condition that
causes it to trip like it is suppose to. In that case you should check
everything. However if you changed your circuit breakers from standard
models to AFCI's then perhaps you should change back or put in a newer AFCI.